Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
Sentinel? Weak?
<--- Apply your hand thusly.

They are not your choice for 1vs1 dueling. However they are great for flag play (mostly defensive). Standoffs their health pool and ability to overdrive all over the base is just plain pain to bring down. Overdriving incoming cappers is daily bread and butter even if it's a bit double edged as it gets you off the stand for a bit. Mortar is still a powerfull weapon if used correctly. Not everything is about your dueling ability on the class. If it was, how boring would this game be?

Karnage

Private Tester
Like Sin I play heavy all the time and I agree that it is a niche class. You can't expect to have the same levity and maneuverability as an outrider in a duel so you have to play to your strengths i.e run away, lol. A lot of people think that the main function of the heavy is to iOD incoming cappers but in my experience, blocking and finishing off cappers is often more effectively done by a good LD, the heavy being the last bastion of the defence. The heavy is most useful as a flag-holding meat bag. Also, as someone else said, the heavy was not meant for offense but for HoFfing. The most effective sentinel is the disciplined one who knows to be home when the capper returns to base in critical health and who remains at base to take care of potential llama/egrabbers.

As far as the mortar goes I feel it is fine actually. Unless you actually change its trajectory and various other factors it should stay as it is. Increase the range and you get people doing the whole Omortaring thing. Decrease the timer and you have people spamming mortars on the defense and destroying the friendly defense team, as happened previously. I don't really see how it can be changed without serious negative consequences.

Sin

Private Tester
One thing with the mortar, please make it explode on mid-airs and direct hits. It is the most disappointing thing to see my mortar fly at someone and smack them in the face, only to watch it fall off them as some sort of cotton ball.

The Cluster 2 is superior in everyway over the mortar.
lol....no

Cluster II half healths lights with 2 of the (w.e you call it) things. Heavy chasing with mortar is not viable in a game where both teams are equally skilled.

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
One thing with the mortar, please make it explode on mid-airs and direct hits. It is the most disappointing thing to see my mortar fly at someone and smack them in the face, only to watch it fall off them as some sort of cotton ball.
Don't you recall the OPness of this before? Let me refresh your memory: "LOL LETS ROLL 5 MORTARS ALONG THE GROUND ON THE FLAGSTAND. LOL NO CAPS. LOL UR DEAD"

Dawkins

lol everyone saying mortar is perfectly balanced and fine, it might seem that way from an outrider's point of view since it's very powerful when it hits, but from sentinel perspective it's damn impossible to actually land those 1 hit kill shots any more like you used to be able to, only possible when the outrider isn't paying attention or is complete noob

you always have to place a mortar in the location that you think the outrider will land next, but the delay being as long as it is, this usually gives outrider more than enough time to change course and vacate the area

and with the reload delay of mortar being so long, using it in duels is useless now

and to all those people saying "sentinel is not bad, you are bad" which I've found to be very common response to sentinel users, often is true since it's only total noobs that use sentinel till they get a bit more experience and realize their mistake

i've been using sentinel for a long time though, I used to often get highest score in PuGs but now I'm a stupid unemployed peasant getting steam-rolled by the op outrider/raider people, maybe i should adopt karnage's tactic of just running away

a lot of people have said sentinel is a "niche" class and is not meant to be good, as though the only thing it should be good for is standing on the flag like an inanimate object waiting for people to come and crash into you lol

oh how wrong i was, i completely forgot the op sentinel special ability of being a brick wall, it doesn't matter that it's fat, slow and useless in duels as long as it can sit on the flag doing nothing all game !

i dont know about you guys but I would prefer if it was more balanced and had some degree of usefulness outside of being a stationary rock

Basic response, and you're probably jumping to conclusions about the admin kicking people out, the last thing we want is for newer players to be discouraged from playing the game.

Also, something is very wrong if you're losing to an Outrider as a Sentinel especially since you think you're better than them. This isn't Tribes, the skill ceiling is much higher in this game.

there is no jumping to conclusions here, fireblasto was on IRC and openly admitted that he banned all the noobs for a short while because he wanted a game with good people, and even though I'm not a noob I guess he assumed I was because I was using sentinel, he also kicked Jago (sentinel user) and others

I agree that something is very wrong with losing to outriders as sentinel, hence why I made this thread

Pure

lol everyone saying mortar is perfectly balanced and fine, it might seem that way from an outrider's point of view since it's very powerful when it hits, but from sentinel perspective it's damn impossible to actually land those 1 hit kill shots any more like you used to be able to, only possible when the outrider isn't paying attention or is complete noob

you always have to place a mortar in the location that you think the outrider will land next, but the delay being as long as it is, this usually gives outrider more than enough time to change course and vacate the area

and with the reload delay of mortar being so long, using it in duels is useless now

and to all those people saying "sentinel is not bad, you are bad" which I've found to be very common response to sentinel users, often is true since it's only total noobs that use sentinel till they get a bit more experience and realize their mistake

i've been using sentinel for a long time though, I used to often get highest score in PuGs but now I'm a stupid unemployed peasant getting steam-rolled by the op outrider/raider people, maybe i should adopt karnage's tactic of just running away

a lot of people have said sentinel is a "niche" class and is not meant to be good, as though the only thing it should be good for is standing on the flag like an inanimate object waiting for people to come and crash into you lol

oh how wrong i was, i completely forgot the op sentinel special ability of being a brick wall, it doesn't matter that it's fat, slow and useless in duels as long as it can sit on the flag doing nothing all game !

i dont know about you guys but I would prefer if it was more balanced and had some degree of usefulness outside of being a stationary rock

there is no jumping to conclusions here, fireblasto was on IRC and openly admitted that he banned all the noobs for a short while because he wanted a game with good people, and even though I'm not a noob I guess he assumed I was because I was using sentinel, he also kicked Jago (sentinel user) and others

I agree that something is very wrong with losing to outriders as sentinel, hence why I made this thread

*dance* off mightyshit.

Why are you using the mortar as a primary?
Heavy is OP as is due to iOD, (I just had to be that guy that breaks in the news).
And the incident with fireblasto was probably because we were trying to have a euro pug, we didn't have any available private servers and the euros didn't wanna play on TX servers because of the high ping they get so we used one of the shazbots/hotswaps for our pug.

Crisis12096

Mighty....I don't even know what to say. Except, you sir, are an idiot.

Just lock the thread please, it isn't going anywhere.

Sin

Private Tester
This isn't going to go anywhere productive. Lock would be a smart idea, imo.

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
Jack-Nicholson-lol-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1658.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.