Running Legions on an impossibly old computer

DOS4/GW

I have a lot of downtime at my work (around 6 out of an 8 hour shift) and I'd like to spend some of that time playing Legions. Trouble is, my only portable computer is my 6-year-old tablet PC, which sports a 1Ghz Celeron with Geforce 4 420 go 32mb video.

Eeesh, right? Well, I've actually got it working fairly well. Mostly. I've achieved playable framerates by using legions lite, but the major problem is my video chip's lack of shader model 2.0 support. This is what I'm currently seeing:

pretty.jpg

It looks like barf, yes, but it would be tolerable if I could just see terrain; all I have is just a white blob that makes it fairly impossible to ski anywhere. I've tried using 3dAnalyzer and Swiftshader to emulate shader 2.0, but they haven't worked.

It doesn't have to be pretty, or even textured. All I need is to be able to see the contours of the ground to make the game playable.

Does anyone have any ideas? That is, besides "buy a new laptop?"

Pure4Pwnge

Lol I have an ATI Radeon HD X200 and mine is sorta like that except when I skii/jet higher, I can see the terrain fully, but when I get close to the terrain, the textures start going whack and it becomes black boxes that keep blinking and crap :p

Buhlitz

I mean, the honest truth is if you have THAT much downtime, then it seems like a worth investment to get a new laptop. You could get something for as little as 400-500 dollars that would be significantly better and would ensure you could easily not work at work :)

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I mean, the honest truth is if you have THAT much downtime, then it seems like a worth investment to get a new laptop. You could get something for as little as 400-500 dollars that would be significantly better and would ensure you could easily not work at work :)

And it would probably increase your efficiency at work when you decide to actually work :p

fatboy

Nice dude, reminds me of how I played Legions last time around. All I can say is have fun trying to ski and see in the sky when its all one color.

DOS4/GW

Hard to put a new graphics card in this:
tc1100.jpg

Eh, I've got other options for gaming at work, and I might be leaving for a different job soon anyway. I'll just leave all the Legions playing for when I'm at home.

Stilgar

If he's not in your employ, shut it. Thanks for being helpful.
Everything I found looks like garbage...I'll keep looking, Dos.