Revamp of Ammo reloading methods

I believe it was mentioned somewhere or another that a revamp was being looked at, however I have a few ideas I'd like to put forward.
While my argument for the following idea is based on it remaining that loadouts are chosen pre-respawn, and only ammo resupply needs be done once spawned, I believe it could be modified to work with inventory stations too.

My suggestion would be that the ammo boxes that sit in each teams base should only be usable by members of the home Team. The ammo boxes in the centre regions of the map could either be set to remain neutral and accessible by both teams, or could be set up so that the towers they reside upon could be "captured" by either team. (Like centre bases/towers in several other games, including Tribes)

Since this would obviously leave offensive players at a huge disadvantage, I believe killed players should drop either all their remaining ammo on death or, all their remaining ammo Minus a set percentage, which would be irretrievable for one reason or another. This second option would allow it to be fairly closely balanced, but put a slight advantage to the defending players, which is how it should be.

Now, obviously players could only drop ammo of the weapons they themselves were carrying, as it would not make much sense for a Gunner to be carrying around sniper ammo.

I'd be very interested to hear other players ideas and arguments on this.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Making the ammostations team specific is something that's on the to-do list for ages already. And I'm pretty sure that ammo drops will be tested too. ;)

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
Sounds pretty interesting and a good idea to prevent the campers in the base. :X
Well, as long as you can loot ammo from the corpses it's all good. But in all seriousness if someone manages to own your base 24/7, I think he deserves to own the base.
Indication of:
1) The opposing team has craploads more offence than you have defence. This is also true on the oposing side... Hopefully...
2) You just got outplayed, bad...

Nvidia

Well it's just annoying if there is someone always distracting you from defending the incoming capper.
It doesn't mean that the distractor is better than you or your teamply is crap or whatever, it's just annoying and it doesn't madder how good he is, you are distracted for a few seconds. So maybe it's getting more harder for distracts now. We will see.

A2

The ammo boxes in the centre regions of the map could either be set to remain neutral and accessible by both teams, or could be set up so that the towers they reside upon could be "captured" by either team. (Like centre bases/towers in several other games, including Tribes)

That's actually a good idea. But sometimes (assuming it is a CTF), players tend to sit there defend the towers or keep fighting for capturing the towers, forgetting what they actually have to be doing. Most of you won't agree to that, but there are some players who easily get distracted into trying to capture the tower. That's just what I think could happen.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
That's true 57thA2, but not necessarily bad. If capturing that neutral base (let's just call it that for now) is worth it, you have a nice secondary objective which adds another dimension to CTF, and gives players something to do.

A2

That's true 57thA2, but not necessarily bad. If capturing that neutral base (let's just call it that for now) is worth it, you have a nice secondary objective which adds another dimension to CTF[...]
Won't argue with that.
[...]and gives players something to do.
Players will be mostly busy either defending or capping, i.e if it's a serious CTF. In this case, capturing of these NBs mostly will take place when a player wants to reload and are close to one of the NB's. It could also happen that the other team member also wants to reload there, then a nice little face-off will decide who goes first.
So yeah, this idea can easily fill out nicely.
If it's a normal CTF (Pub) then you can expect some interesting fights for capturing the NBs.

Disci

Old man
Well it's just annoying if there is someone always distracting you from defending the incoming capper.
It doesn't mean that the distractor is better than you or your teamply is crap or whatever, it's just annoying and it doesn't madder how good he is, you are distracted for a few seconds. So maybe it's getting more harder for distracts now. We will see.

Well isn't that the idea of doing LO? With the same logic I find it annoying that someone dares to come and grab my flag when I'm LD. Those pesky cappers! Why don't they leave me alone?!

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
i think that the concept of capturable bases would be a bit of a pain for CTF as it would further distract players, but for team deathmatches or even it's own game then that would be awesome.

Another Element with secondary bases that can be captured, is that once captured, they could act as a secondary spawn.
Now, so long as you got the Option of which spawn point you will spawn at (In case you were a respawning HoF for example), this would provide a definite tactical advantage, and would make the capturing of bases a Worthwhile cause in a CTF match, as your attackers and cappers could spawn much closer to the enemy base, and therefore be much faster when it comes to getting there for an e-grab, or just respawning and returning for some more LO.

Now presumably this would be something best kept for larger maps, as it might be a bit much if you can spawn at the middle bridge for Nivosus or Moonshine.

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
Another Element with secondary bases that can be captured, is that once captured, they could act as a secondary spawn.
Now, so long as you got the Option of which spawn point you will spawn at (In case you were a respawning HoF for example)
Not the first without the second. It's pure hell if you are defending and spawn in the middle of the map.

Yes, I wasn't suggesting they be presented as separate ideas, but rather as a packaged deal.
Either you get the option on respawn to pick where you want to respawn to or, perhaps there's a console in each base which you go up to and interact with, and once you've interacted with said console, you will respawn there until either that base is captured, or you interact with a different console.

MJ1284

Sounds pretty interesting and a good idea to prevent the campers in the base. :X

Seeing that the teambalance in Public servers is, and most likely will always be, pretty horrendous I'd say Yes for team specific ammo stations. If one team dominates both bases & spawnkills everything it'll just further encourage people to ragequit or switch to winning side (as if we didn't have that enough).

PUGs & Scrimms are different story, if your organized team fails at one department your team SHOULD get it's ass kicked for making such mistakes.