[Request] Modeling and texturing help

skypredator

First off, let me just say that I wasn't sure whether I should put this post here, or in the off-topic section.
Secondly, I'm asking you guys for help rather than wasting even more time Googling tutorials fruitlessly.
Thirdly, I need a step-by-step tutorial. I absolutely suck at this.

I think it's time I told you WHY I need to be spoon-fed this. I'm looking into making a Minigun to replace the chaingun in my custom server. I'll be basing it off of this:

vvv Gau-17A

GAU-17A.jpeg

I realize it might seem like I'm asking you modeling/texturing gods out there to all the work for me, but I'm not. All I need is a detailed tutorial on how to use the software, and how to model this beast. It's realize a whole lot to ask, but I'd make it up to you guys. Somehow. Eventually. But I will. Thoughts?

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Following so I can possibly use any responses to figure out how to do higher poly models of the things in the game.

I really hope though that you aren't going to make it as elaborate as that image is though, especially if you're a beginner. Start with something more basic... Like.. A block. Also to note, you'll need to account for the rotation of the barrel. Just a note.

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
modeling isn't just a na na there I did it.. takes time patience and detail and most importantly skill. This looks too familiar to current chaingun, with only the hull being more elaborate.

below is just idea of the complexity of it.. there over 2000 polys on this model. The rocket launcher from what I was told has roughly 3500, which doesn't even look like that many imo. Each face or poly needs mapped out and flattened into 2d so that the skin can be placed on it.

As you can see this one is nearing completion;)blaster.jpg

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
poly= polygon though it doesn't have to have 5 points on it in 3d unlike how geometry distinguishes it. Polygon is made up of 2 or more faces and each face has 3 vertices.

In the words of foghorn "I say.. you getting all this boy?"

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Yeah, I've noticed that too. I've done modding for other video games where I worked on modelling. It's not a quick process. My girlfriend wouldn't get a text back from me for the rest of the day lol. Modelling takes quite a good amount of time to learn and actually do once you finally understand how to do it.

I mean, I know how to for other things, as evidenced by what I did for one game such as this and this, but I don't know what needs to be done for legions.

@PWA: would increasing poly count (assuming of course that the same general shape of the model is the same) screw up the UV map? Just curious because I suck at UV mapping lol. And what program do you use for modelling for Legions? Torque 3D editor or whatever it is or something else?

skypredator

I love you pure. But not in that way. Can I have that when it's done? I'll be like your indentured slave for life. And I'll name it the "PWA" on my server. o_o

I know that, Volt. All I really wanted was remodeled barrels, and a new ammo housing/shell ejector. Ohgawd a blowback system would be so sexy on this thing.

On a side note, I need to learn how to do this stuff myself.

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
UV is the worst for most part of modeling.. fortunately poponfu got we squared away with outside flattening program. But still everything that you do can screw up the uvs.. Increasing polys will mess up the UV mapping.

Currently this model has been worked on from at least 5 programs. 3ds max for modeling, mudbox for skinning/normals along with photoshop, and headus for the UV mapping. Poponfu will probably refine/add in most of the animation and effects with maya so that i can move on to the next weapon.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
UV is the worst for most part of modeling.. fortunately poponfu got we squared away with outside flattening program. But still everything that you do can screw up the uvs.. Increasing polys will mess up the UV mapping. [...]

:( I was hoping it wouldn't but had a sinking feeling otherwise.. UV mapping has always been trouble for me in the past..