REQUEST- Laser Pointer

MJ1284

I've just started using the sniper rifle, and already I'm getting the hang of it. Just try it out for a week or so (as MJ said) and trust me, you won't find the need for a laser pointer.

Protip: I find RL more useful pair to Laser Rifle than chaingun. You can ground pound enemy with rockets and you can snipe them while they're flying, chaingun has it's own overheat (forces you to use other weapon), if your chaingun overheats and you're forced to use slow reload LR as main weapon you're dead before you get off 2nd LR shot.
CG/LR combo works, but good luck hitting enemies who refuse to fly upwards.

Immanent

To be honest, the only people I see doing this, are people that are extremely skilled at chaining and sniping. Chaining their incoming target and switching to LR at the last second for more damage (I'd say about 30%+ chaingun damage if they're good, and another 50% for the LR). But those are for snipers that do not intend to leave the base, and prefer to leave the duelling of the LO to others, and find another spot.

MJ1284

I still find it more effective to snipe incoming capper once and then lay some splash damage when they reach flagstand. That way I can
a) Put a dent on their health so they'll think twice before going OD or doing RJ, which in turn makes chasing whole lot easier.
b) Splash damage tends to reduce/redirect momentum, making it even easier to hamper cappers.
c) Chasing with Laser Rifle is easier when YOU can do RJ, that way you can gain altitude & momentum without jets.

EDIT: Btw, LR max. damage goes something like this:
Outrider: 80 % (correct me if I'm wrong)
Raider: 40%
Sentinel: 20%

As you can see it's almost potent as direct rocket MA.

Immanent

I still find it more effective to snipe incoming capper once and then lay some splash damage when they reach flagstand. That way I can
a) Put a dent on their health so they'll think twice before going OD or doing RJ, which in turn makes chasing whole lot easier.
b) Splash damage tends to reduce/redirect momentum, making it even easier to hamper cappers.
c) Chasing with Laser Rifle is easier when YOU can do RJ, that way you can gain altitude & momentum without jets.

EDIT: Btw, LR max. damage goes something like this:
Outrider: 80 % (correct me if I'm wrong)
Raider: 40%
Sentinel: 20%

As you can see it's almost potent as direct rocket MA.

Outrider: 80 % (correct me if I'm wrong) - actually, it's nerfed down to approx 50%. So no, it's not as potent as a "direct rocket ma" (You'll find that MA's are already direct ;) ), in damage wise, but I do believe that the LR has a slight knock-back effect, meaning that it can cripple a cappers ability to use overdrive if they are barely going above the required velocity.

a) Put a dent on their health so they'll think twice before going OD or doing RJ, which in turn makes chasing whole lot easier. Well I do agree with you, but there are more than X ways to skin a cat. I like it better when they kill themselves using OD. It's quite hilarious.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
Protip: I find RL more useful pair to Laser Rifle than chaingun. You can ground pound enemy with rockets and you can snipe them while they're flying, chaingun has it's own overheat (forces you to use other weapon), if your chaingun overheats and you're forced to use slow reload LR as main weapon you're dead before you get off 2nd LR shot.
I think everyone agrees with that. Hornet all the way.

Propkid

Just. Modify. Your. Reticle.
I'll pick on you just because you always pick on people on the forums :D (but still, everyone who doesn't get this request: read).

Add
laser pointer thingy
to
And you'll understand that what Royalty wants is an indicator showing him where would he land his shot if he fired NOW (read: when the laser pointer thingy is activated). Due to ping the shots tend to be delayed, and the laser pointer would show him on the go by how much should he adjust his shot to hit the opponent.
jeez gheist, how can you talk to people in such an 'ABC' way... i just cant stand doing it myself

Unfortunately as far as I know the old laser pointer did not do that; it followed your reticule regardless of ping (at least for you), but IMO this is doable since you see your own shots delayed by ping.

So...
+1 if the devs want to be so nice to high pingers, but player hosted servers are coming soon so it's more of a +0.5 from me.

try this if you want to snipe with high ping, just move your ret higher a bit and try it if it hits then it's good for your ping if it's not then you should get it higher
you know what i have an idea, i'm gonna test something

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
I'll pick on you just because you always pick on people on the forums :D (but still, everyone who doesn't get this request: read).
And you'll understand that what Royalty wants is an indicator showing him where would he land his shot if he fired NOW (read: when the laser pointer thingy is activated). Due to ping the shots tend to be delayed, and the laser pointer would show him on the go by how much should he adjust his shot to hit the opponent.
jeez gheist, how can you talk to people in such an 'ABC' way... i just cant stand doing it myself

Unfortunately as far as I know the old laser pointer did not do that; it followed your reticule regardless of ping (at least for you), but IMO this is doable since you see your own shots delayed by ping.

So...
+1 if the devs want to be so nice to high pingers, but player hosted servers are coming soon so it's more of a +0.5 from me.
The whole "reticle for ping lead" is silly. A dynamic reticle that changes based off your ping? That's very feasible. That idea has been proposed here before, and similarly shot down. Learn to lead with ping. This isn't too doable. What Royalty wants is just a damn laser pointer which can be replaced with a cool looking glowy reticle.

I have to agree that the whole ping adjustment thing is rather out of the question. After all, ping is the amount of time it takes for a signal to go from your computer to the server and back. How could you know the location of where a player will be, 0.3 seconds in the future (from your computer's point of view). Yes you could write a prediction software, which would have to be Very complicated, considering the variables involved in a game like this. However, what you would in fact be writing, is an aimbot. Plain and simple. All it would take is someone to add an extra line so that it snaps to wherever it predicts you'll be, and you've got a laser-rifle aimbot.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Yes you could write a prediction software, which would have to be Very complicated, considering the variables involved in a game like this.

Its certainly possible though, was talking to Disci last night about the aimbot that was created for tribes.

Immanent

I have to agree that the whole ping adjustment thing is rather out of the question. After all, ping is the amount of time it takes for a signal to go from your computer to the server and back. How could you know the location of where a player will be, 0.3 seconds in the future (from your computer's point of view). Yes you could write a prediction software, which would have to be Very complicated, considering the variables involved in a game like this. However, what you would in fact be writing, is an aimbot. Plain and simple. All it would take is someone to add an extra line so that it snaps to wherever it predicts you'll be, and you've got a laser-rifle aimbot.
Did I hear aimbot? ;)

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
all i know is that you did not hear immanent

130534017157.jpg

or you could like. aim. your brain is better at trigonometry than you think. (LOL HI MABEL)

Lol, I remember that one :p.

I also agree. Recently I started trying to learn 300 ping snipe. It's hard, but not impossible, so long as your ping is relatively consistent. I still miss most shots, but I've got a couple of awesome ones in as well. Also, I've only been doing it for a few games.

Immanent

Lol, I remember that one :p.

I also agree. Recently I started trying to learn 300 ping snipe. It's hard, but not impossible, so long as your ping is relatively consistent. I still miss most shots, but I've got a couple of awesome ones in as well. Also, I've only been doing it for a few games.

Oh 300 ping sniping ^.^