[REQ] Shot Timer

Severance

Private Tester
I always seem to screw up my nade jumps by not being able to fire my rocket and i waste nades and/or damage friendlies. I was wondering if anyone could be so kind as to create a mod that would have a countdown until you could shoot your next weapon. Namely Hornet, shooting from Laser -> Rocket, resetting on each fire, etc.

Progress bar, or just numerical values under the reticle would be amazing.

Thanks

Immanent

Well learning the feel for reload time comes from experience I guess, but it would help the new players to know when to shoot the LR and mortar. Sure I'll fourth it.

RedInk

I am PRO at making things sexy.
YOU HAVE NO IDEA
happy-pfftch-l.png

<3

Interesting idea, I'll make sure NightHawk and 3lionz come have a look.

Oh damn, I really don't want to rain down sadness on all these happy faces.

I actually took a look into this almost a Month ago.
There's a thread mentioning it in here somewhere.

I got clarification from deadguy on this too.

While it would be possible to make a very rough version of this using estimated time values, there's no way to actually access the real time values client side (which can be changed on the fly). This means that it won't work on switching from the old gl in the main game, to the public test gl, and other things like that. Every time there was a long term change in a firerate, the script would have to be updated with someone figuring out the new times, and every time it's changed short term, or you swap back and forth, you'd have to deactivate the script, as it would just get in the way.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be responsible for a script like that. There's a few more coders beginning to start writing stuff now, not just lionz and myself, so perhaps one of them (if they feel like a lot of work) may want to do it.

Sorry to rain on the parade guys.

Severance

Private Tester
That's understandable man, thanks for looking into it. Maybe someone else with the know how will pick it up.

Here's to hoping!

skypredator

Use a stopwatch to record the times between switching weapons (Which is universal, I think), then write a script to create an empty progress bar next to the reticle that fills up in that amount of time. It all depends on if the hotswap times are universal. You'll have to figure that out on your own, Serverance. ;)

Immanent

Use a stopwatch to record the times between switching weapons (Which is universal, I think), then write a script to create an empty progress bar next to the reticle that fills up in that amount of time.
1st. Switching times differ from weapon to weapon. Laser Rifle to chaingun is probably the worst switch, however chaingun to laser rifle is the best switch (because switching from a fast weapon means the next weapon will shoot when the fast weapon next reloads).
2nd. Scripting is never easy.

Use a stopwatch to record the times between switching weapons (Which is universal, I think), then write a script to create an empty progress bar next to the reticle that fills up in that amount of time. It all depends on if the hotswap times are universal. You'll have to figure that out on your own, Serverance. ;)
did you even read my post?
They're different, and they can be changed on the fly (i.e. in the middle of the game)

skypredator

Now wait a second. The devs had to decide on a weapon swap time for each weapon>>weapon switch. They should have those in logs or something.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] They should have those in logs or something.
They do. But those are server side. And that means that
[...] there's no way to actually access the real time values client side [...]
Which leads to:
[...] it won't work on switching from the old gl in the main game, to the public test gl, and other things like that. Every time there was a long term change in a firerate, the script would have to be updated with someone figuring out the new times, and every time it's changed short term, or you swap back and forth, you'd have to deactivate the script, as it would just get in the way. [...]

did you even read my post? [...]
If he did, he didn't understand it.