Removing smoke in the middle of fallout

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
I might be able to change it a bit to help. I'm not 100% against removing it, but I think somewhere we have to draw the line at where we lower minimum requirements. This may be one of them but I'll see what I can do.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
I might be able to change it a bit to help. I'm not 100% against removing it, but I think somewhere we have to draw the line at where we lower minimum requirements. This may be one of them but I'll see what I can do.
Why is it that particle effects can't be toggled? I know you said it is built into the mission, but does Torque not allow for that or something?

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
Why is it that particle effects can't be toggled? I know you said it is built into the mission, but does Torque not allow for that or something?
Nope, Torque doesn't have particle toggles. Even if your client removes the visuals the server is still creating them at the same location and your client will still "know" those particles are there and lag you at the same spot. Soooo yeah....

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
Nope, Torque doesn't have particle toggles. Even if your client removes the visuals the server is still creating them at the same location and your client will still "know" those particles are there and lag you at the same spot. Soooo yeah....
Oh that is just rude. Hmmph.
Since it doesn't detract from the majority of the people's gaming experience, and I'm using a laptop to play this game (that normally gets 40 fps), I'd say don't do anything about it. A quick drop in fps is annoying, but it's not severely impacting the game.

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
Well looking at it I think I can help reduce lag without removing the smoke. Few adjustments in how it's made should do the trick; won't fix all of it but should help a lot.

Edit: I've put it on the Public Test - IL server temporarily to try it out, so let me know how it works.

Thankyou deadguy. Gheist, you are correct in your statement that my computer isn't a gaming computer, at least, in so far as the graphics card is not designed for gaming.
However, the computer is only 2.5 years old, and the game states minimum required graphics card is an ATI Radeon™ x800. Mine is an ATI Radeon x1550. It could only be the graphics card that's falling behind as the other main specs are Intel Core 2 Duo @2.33GHz and 4Gb of ram.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Thankyou deadguy. Gheist, you are correct in your statement that my computer isn't a gaming computer, at least, in so far as the graphics card is not designed for gaming.
However, the computer is only 2.5 years old, and the game states minimum required graphics card is an ATI Radeon™ x800. Mine is an ATI Radeon x1550. It could only be the graphics card that's falling behind as the other main specs are Intel Core 2 Duo @2.33GHz and 4Gb of ram.

Y'know, I'll need to google it at some point, but I think the x800 is better performing than the x1550 (though lacking in features compared to the x1550). I want to say that the x800 was a performance card and the x1550 was a mainstream card, but I'm not positive.

Anyhow, the rest of your system looks good, throw in a half decent GPU in there (ie: Radeon 6850 or 6870) and you'll be cooking with gas!

Y'know, I'll need to google it at some point, but I think the x800 is better performing than the x1550 (though lacking in features compared to the x1550). I want to say that the x800 was a performance card and the x1550 was a mainstream card, but I'm not positive.

Anyhow, the rest of your system looks good, throw in a half decent GPU in there (ie: Radeon 6850 or 6870) and you'll be cooking with gas!

the difficulty I have is my computer came in one of those stupid Small inspiron cases, and I suspect the motherboard was shaped to fit. As a result, a gaming graphics card might not fit. Also, I'm not sure if I can transplant everything into a bigger case as a result of the motherboard, so I'll have to do some research.

Anyway, Deadguy did some testing on changing the way the smoke cloud appears without horribly changing the way it looks, and the performance was muchly improved.