Questions about the sniper rifle.

Lin

I've been wondering for a long time, and I really need to increase my lr skills, so can somebody answer these questions with official info?
-Is the sniper rifle instant-fire?
-If I see a large delay due to lag, is that only the animation, or the actual shot?
-Is the sniper rifle beam actually off center, or only the animation? (It appears to me it comes out of the gun arm, slightly to the right.)

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
-At 0 ping
-Your ping will vary, so you have to take into account your ping when shooting
-Just play in third person

Propkid

-Yes, pretty much up until ping 90 you won't see any difference from instant-fire.
-The actual shot. Since a few updates ago the actual shot always = the animation.
-Yes, it appears to come out of the gun-arm, but really that doesn't make an actual difference, you'll always hit what you are aiming at.

Also, to get your LR skills up you could add an extra zoom level value in the prefs.cs file. Once you see the 'code', basic logic will work in getting that extra zoom level.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Actually, unless you have 0 ping, you will need to lead your shots. The ping will determine by how much you do. In most games it wouldn't be so much of an issue, but with the speeds, you need to lead.

first person/third person doesn't matter. I always play third person. The one thing is if you're standing near a ledge, in third person, you don't realize you're about to hit the ledge rather than what you're aiming at, so you just need to be a little more aware of your surroundings, but I've done quite well as a sniper edges regardless.

If you have any other questions, I just wrote a guide that you can read here: http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/threads/laser-rifle-the-beginners-guide.2068/

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
The sniper rifle is hitscan, meaning that there is no travel time. Even at 100 ping, I find that it still doesn't effect the shots much. I'm pretty sure if you see a lag, its only the animation. The shot still goes where you are aiming at a hitscan pace.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] Even at 100 ping, I find that it still doesn't effect the shots much. [...]
Latency affects everything. That's just how it works. And actually, if you want to compare the effect that latency has on different weapons, it gets worse the faster the projectile of the weapon is (and it can't get any faster than hitscan). If you already have to lead a lot with a weapon (even at 0 ping), that little bit of "extra" latency won't throw you off that much. The difference between no leading at all (hitscan at 0 ping) and hitscan at ping 100, is way way higher, percentage wise.
[...] The shot still goes where you are aiming at a hitscan pace.
Sure, just [ping ms] later... Which means you have to lead, to compensate for that latency.

To answer the original questions: 1) Yes. 2) Can be both. 3) The LR does all kind of weird things when fired near edges etc. And yes, buildings or whatever can get into your way easier on your right side than on your left. You can easily test that with a buddy who stands somewhere as an immobile target. Move around, try some shots, ignore what you see, and listen to the hit detection sounds.

Lin

Thanks for the responses guys! It's really helpful. Just one thing though, I'm seeing a 2-3 second delay on the shot sometimes, both animation and hit-detection wise. It's not consistent, but it's also definitely not ping (I have around 40-60 ping). Any idea what thats about?

why isn't the sniper 0ne shot kill anymore like before IA closed down. Isn't that the point of a sniper. 1 bullet (orlaser in this case) one kill? it takes 3 or 4 last time i played this game which sucked

Propkid

why isn't the sniper 0ne shot kill anymore like before IA closed down. Isn't that the point of a sniper. 1 bullet (orlaser in this case) one kill? it takes 3 or 4 last time i played this game which sucked
Long story bro... It was way too strong back then, now its pretty balanced.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Thanks for the responses guys! It's really helpful. Just one thing though, I'm seeing a 2-3 second delay on the shot sometimes, both animation and hit-detection wise. It's not consistent, but it's also definitely not ping (I have around 40-60 ping). Any idea what thats about?
I get that sometimes if my computer is overheating or something, low ping but bad lag. Its also possible you get a momentary spike, I know that happens in other games sometimes.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
As everybody else has said or implied, its too overpowered that way. The LR damage scale now works this way: 2 shots for an outrider, three for a raider, I can't remember how many for a sentinel, but its 4 or 5 shots. Since this weapon is light speed, having it be an instant kill weapon would mean that a team with, say, Lanthus and Epiclight have an untouchable flag. (if you don't know who they are, they are incredible snipers)

To put this in perspective, and I apologize to anybody who is going to be offended by this, I am only using this as an example, imagine a game of Halo CTF where the defensive players all have spartan lasers with infinite ammo. That chocolate cookie won't fly.

trinium

Private Tester
Basically, you cant go wrong if you use raider layout. Rockets for close range, lr for midrange, and some extra health so u can nade/rj if they are long range :D

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Well, if you want higher damage scales with the LR, then you'd want the LR mk. II which is only available in the Sniper loadout of the Outrider armor. There, you either learn to chain or you stay out of fights.