PuGs and Positions - Playing Them Right

Sin

Private Tester
Recently in PuGs, I've noticed a small general increase in newer players. As they come along, I find that many are new to our type of game, and have no knowledge of positions, or what to do in PuGs. After this, one thing almost always happens: They get yelled at. To prevent this, or at least help the new players come along, I'm writing up this little guide. This is just a little offering to get them started. Following threads will focus on single positions, going in depth with tips, tricks, and different helping tools, including some guest writers.

Remember, when playing a PuG, it is essential to play the position that the captain assigns you.

General term: Standoff. A standoff is a time period when both teams have the other team's flag.

• LO- Offense. Light or Medium is suitable for this position. Go to the enemy base, attack and distract. Listen for "E" or "E-grab" when playing LO. Those terms mean that you need to get to the enemy flag, and either try to get back to your base with it, or throw it away from the enemy base. If you have good cappers, they will call out their incoming time for you. Your main job is to distract the HoF as the capper comes in, and put a hit on the chaser if possible. When your defense loses the allied flag, it is your job to return that flag once it reaches the enemy base. Kill whoever has it, and return it. LO should mainly practice their dueling skills.
  • Capper- Offense. Light is the more popular pick, but Medium is a viable choice. Grab the enemy flag, and return to your base with speed. When playing capper, know your routes, and call out your time. Your time is how far you are away from the enemy base. This is called out in seconds. Call out your time so the LO can start clearing the HoF for you. Cappers should mainly practice their skill with skiing, the two cores, and flag play.
  • LD/Stay D- Defense. Medium or Light is good for this position. Stay at your base, and kill incoming LO. Listen and communicate with your HoF and chaser. The chaser should be making the incoming calls for the HoF, but if you see a capper headed for your flag, or setting up a back-route, call it out so your defense is aware. During standoffs, communicate with your HoF. If he needs to pass, get open and call for the flag. If he doesn't need to pass, kill enemies at your base. Stay D should mainly practice dueling skills and flag-catching at short range.
  • Chaser- Defense/Offense. Most people prefer Light, although Medium can be viable. Kill the enemy flag carrier. When your flag is home, stay at base, and call out incoming cappers for your HoF. This includes how far out they are, and from what side. If the capper grabs your flag, kill him and either hold the flag, or return it to your base. In standoffs, you pretty much turn into LO until your flag is returned or captured. A chaser should mainly practice his skiing, flag returning, and high-speed gunning.
  • HoF- Defense. For this position, heavy armor is a must. Block incoming cappers, and be the main hub for your defense on standoffs. Listen for calls on cappers from your defense. Use the Overdrive Core, and activate it so that you will swipe across or collide with the incoming capper in such a way to block him. On standoffs, you will be passing the enemy flag with your Stay D until your offense returns your flag. A HoF should practice his flag play at short to medium range, and his blocking skills.
I hope you gain something from this. I may not have covered each position very well, but keep in mind that this is just a general thread to help the newer players understand positions. I will be working on other threads that will stem off from this one, each dealing with a single position, and explaining it in-depth, including the value of a sniper.

3lionz

Legions Developer
Also, it is good practice for LO to hit snipers off their spots, to give cappers a higher chance of survival.
(This applies for both directions.)

KrO

If some new players playing, i m going to come back in the party, i was in a good position.