Pub Balancing

Gravis

You know, one of the hardest things about pubs is the fact that most games are rarely balanced in terms of how many offensive/defense players there are on one team. Most of the time you either have a bunch of guys going offense with no D, vice versa, or a handful of noobs doing whatever they want. This makes a lot of games kind of pointless when one team doesn't have the balanced players to play effectively as a team, often resulting in cap outs and very uneven scores.

What I propose is that on our accounts page on the main site there should be an option to identify what positions we play the most or if we simply play more offense or defense. Then that information could be used by the games match-making system to create teams with balanced classes in a general sense. Like in 16 player servers it'd be 4 offense and 4 defense per team, and 5 offense/5 defense per team on 20 player servers. This would only apply to public CTF servers though.

So yeah, I think that'd help games immensely and ultimately making public games more enjoyable. Of course, it won't stop stacked games, cap outs, or uneven teams, but it's a step in the right direction I think.

Sin

Private Tester
So you're saying we should force people to play offense or defense in PUBS? Remember, these are games for noobs, trolling, having fun, etc. Not serious face.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Yar, I think with the removal of registration and whatnot, it might be difficult to implement a 'position preference' on the account page and tie it to the ingame account.

With that said, something similar could be made for the server join screen. Say, when you connect to a server a menu would pop up asking what position you prefer to play. Not saying that the game should force you to play that position, but matchmaking would take what you selected in consideration when it auto fills the next maps teams.

Gravis

So you're saying we should force people to play offense or defense in PUBS? Remember, these are games for noobs, trolling, having fun, etc. Not serious face.

No, I'm saying this is something that would happen when servers change maps mostly. The system would make sure there is a balanced team based on a persons preference, but it would not stop someone who prefers offense to play defense (or vice versa) or if someone wants to switch teams. It's not an end-all solution either. Rather it simply gives teams a chance to at least make the game close. I think people find much more satisfaction in such a game than any amount of trolling or mindless crap some people do that turn pubs into shat. So again, it won't stop people from doing what they want as it's more of a coded suggestion.

Sin

Private Tester
No, I'm saying this is something that would happen when servers change maps mostly. The system would make sure there is a balanced team based on a persons preference, but it would not stop someone who prefers offense to play defense (or vice versa) or if someone wants to switch teams. It's not an end-all solution either. Rather it simply gives teams a chance to at least make the game close. I think people find much more satisfaction in such a game than any amount of trolling or mindless crap some people do that turn pubs into shat. So again, it won't stop people from doing what they want as it's more of a coded suggestion.
Still gotta remember, there are pickups for the sole reason of good games. Pubs are pubs.

Xtreme

shaska's bff
I don't get why people are making all these posts about pub-play and whatnot when 5 months ago you were all probably worse than those you're complaining about. There's really nothing serious about pub or pug play, it's just a game and it seems many people don't realize this. Just because you were continuously buttfucked during one game even though at some point you managed to chain someone out from 40% and thought that you're the *chocolate cookies*, doesn't mean you should make unrealistic suggestions about teambalancing. Although Abandoned's post is quite cliche, he pretty much addresses your concern. You're very welcome to leave and play quake (and enjoy anal sex there too).

Mots0311

Extreme makes anal sex sound like a bad thing :(.

No butt seriously, I view pubs as practice until the day Legions goes mainstream.

Sn0w

Personally, I go into pubs to just play the game for the fun of it.
If it's actually a balanced game, I play harder to win.

But, its a pub. So my view overall is... In the long run, I don't really give a damn.

WhiteHawk

If a team is loseing by a lot then I normally jion that team and that's how you can balance pubs a bit more.