Preferred Admin System

Frost

From my experiences in other games vote-kick doesn't work very well, or is abused. Removing chat may have been a bit extreme, but I was pretty annoyed at the time and it was late. From looking at this thread no one really is against a chat filter so perhaps it can be added to that magical list.

Shanks

Private Tester
Not sure how i feel about the votekick. There have been several times the entire server has been convinced i was "AI" sent to ruin their gaming experience by midairing them over and over.

Freeman

RAYTANG
I don't trust the community with the power to kick players. I opt for an admin group. Similar to what IA had before they crashed.

Chi-Ro

Private Tester
I don't trust the community with the power to kick players. I opt for an admin group. Similar to what IA had before they crashed.

Honestly I trust a votekick system more. You'll never have problems with admin abuse, and the 40% of the time that admins aren't actually online there isn't a problem. It can be abused but only by a majority, and it'll probably be abused less often than you would have problems with an admin not being around. Also the admins don't have to go out of their way if they're on but none are in Legions (which they would be kinda obligated to do with the admin system instead of votekick).

It's worked in plenty of games before Legions, no reason it wouldn't work here.

I have to agree that a vote-kick would be far better than just admin-kicks, as back in the IA days, People who weren't either American or European had to struggle to find online Admins, who were willing to take the time to come in and help.

Freeman

RAYTANG
Honestly I trust a votekick system more. You'll never have problems with admin abuse, and the 40% of the time that admins aren't actually online there isn't a problem. It can be abused but only by a majority, and it'll probably be abused less often than you would have problems with an admin not being around. Also the admins don't have to go out of their way if they're on but none are in Legions (which they would be kinda obligated to do with the admin system instead of votekick).

It's worked in plenty of games before Legions, no reason it wouldn't work here.

I don't play a lot of video games, so im just gonna use something like counter strike for an example. Games like that have a pretty straight forward objective, kill the enemy team, cap the flag etc.

The difference in legions is that we have jet packs. My main concern is about rabbiting. I find a lot in game that if a capper is returning with the enemy flag to a base filled with the opposing team, they either get wrecked, or the ski away. When players chose to ski away, the chat usually gets spammed with "rabbit omfg" and other stuff. In my honest opinion, I don't think that's rabbiting. The majority of the community, from what I've seen, would probably just kick that player without thinking. That's my problem with having a votekick system. A player does something different from the norm, and they flip *chocolate cookies*.

Of course I could be completely wrong with all of this, but this is just my opinion.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
And this is where admins come into play. Trying to "take over" a server, or abusing the system, will result in unpleasant consequences.

Chi-Ro

Private Tester
The difference in legions is that we have jet packs. My main concern is about rabbiting. I find a lot in game that if a capper is returning with the enemy flag to a base filled with the opposing team, they either get wrecked, or the ski away. When players chose to ski away, the chat usually gets spammed with "rabbit omfg" and other stuff. In my honest opinion, I don't think that's rabbiting. The majority of the community, from what I've seen, would probably just kick that player without thinking. That's my problem with having a votekick system. A player does something different from the norm, and they flip *chocolate cookies*.

A fair enough point, but I still think it would probably be better. I figure they could just have a log of who starts the votes and if it turns out to be for a bad reason and the person complains action could be taken. There's no reason not to have in-game admins like before still, I just don't think it should be the primary system.

Freeman

RAYTANG
Kay, its an important topic, but lets get back on topic :) This can be taken to a different thread maybe?

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Kay, its an important topic, but lets get back on topic :) This can be taken to a different thread maybe?

Sure can, little buddy!

As for my input on this topic, I think the preferred system would be a combination of an Admin and a vote-styled system. I believe if the threshold to kick is high enough (say 80-90% of the server) rampant kicking should be avoided, and an admin-style system (with an active group of easily accessible moderators) to deal with larger issues (say, a pack of griefers taking control of a server), faster response times on griefers, or to deal with troublemakers who keep getting split votes.

Plus, another bonus to a voting system is allowing players to vote for which maps (or possibly even gametypes) could be played. Or perhaps even vote in an interim moderator (one with limited power) to watch over a server. Perhaps to vote in a moderator, a minimum amount of players would need to be on the server (say 10) and a 95% vote rate for the player to become an interim moderator.

It'd be nice if this interim could then set a temporary password for the server to allow for a scrimmage between clans or other more organized match without having to seek out a Dev to setup a server for their use.

Just a thought and it definitely needs to be fleshed out (with clearer boundaries), unfortunately I don't have the time right now to flesh it out, but I think something like an 'Interim Moderator' could be beneficial.

Anyhow, back to work.