Player Model Sizes

hey dudes

is there a way to address this without fuking up the engine etc?

after tribes t2 etc the legions guys look like little micro machines

shame cause the game rocks but seems like baby tribes cause of model size...no offence to anyone but its a major turnoff for alot of players

thanks for listening!

57thEnryu

1. plz try to avoid swearing
2. I didn't see a problem with the characters, I doubt that thats a high priority on the developers minds.

try to avoid swearing? what the *garsh*?

trust me every triber that plays legions says whats up with the tiny little players

u seriously never thought this? not flaming or nothing but thats surprising all other FPS's i have played have larger player models relative to map size

no swearing lol

57thEnryu

No, the players ratio to map size is nice. If the player were bigger it would look out of place. If we had smaller maps how would we do high speed skiing?

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
The reason we have smaller players is actually because we are moving so fast that maps have to be larger to compensate. A small map like nivosus, (the flat ice map) is about 2.5x larger than the Tribes2 map Surreal. Greater distance means smaller looking models.

Now if we increase the player sizes we have some problems.
#1) Since we have such large distances and fast speeds, weapons need to be faster to compensate. Larger player models mean up close you can hit your target much easier, but at a distance it really doesn't make hitting the player easier because of the scale of how far things are. I know you would think it would make it noticeably easier to hit a person at a distance if they were larger, but for Legions it doesn't.

#2) Making the player larger makes you feel like you are moving slower, a lot slower. It is just how the human mind works. When you are larger, it very quickly alters your perception of the terrain around you.

fair enough and that explanation makes sense

i guess it justlooks strange to me and t1 is fast as hell but doesnt have the same issue

not a huge thing but it does make it seem less "serious" for some reason

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
Yes I understand, it is just something inherently "Legions." It would need a completely new set of phyiscs and all new maps as a result.

On the bright side the existing setup does work in a strange way for combat with how much air control you have + super fast weapons.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Enryu, you should really stop talking. The *danced* up scale is one of Leejunz' biggest problems and has always been talked about internally. Sadly, as DeadGuy already said, "fixing" that would require more or less a complete rewrite of the game.

theGOAT

I think the game is ok and the size is perfect as mentioned above everything is made accordingly and legions need a lot of space for those speeds, and also the size and speeds its what makes it an amazing game, the trill of midairs, of the amount of skill is necessary for just one kill, the experience you need is the most challenging game there is, i think the size its perfect.
I miss legions hopefully not for long

isnt the FOV scaling more the issue? eg. players appear smaller and further away than they really are and at 15 meters another player looks like just a couple of pixels rubbing together?

isnt the FOV scaling more the issue? eg. players appear smaller and further away than they really are and at 15 meters another player looks like just a couple of pixels rubbing together?

yeah thats prob it my man

Mabeline

God-Tier
The problem is the sheer distances and speeds involved. Katabatic, flag to flag, is about the distance from the flag on Zenith to that first ammo tower on the other side of the front bowl.

Seriously.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
It's very hard to wrap your head around the specific problem, but in the end, everything is too large and too fast. It kinda looks fine at first, but something is off. And that leads to many many other problems. But, given the amount of work that would be necessary to really fix that problem, I assume all we can do is trying to make the best out of it. Who knows, maybe we'll see that mysterious engine change some day. That would be an opportunity to fix it. Until then, let's shoot at tiny flies. ;)