Overdrive Idea

ellismore

I was thinking: what about if instead of using health for overdrive, we use some sort of fill-up gauge (filled up by returning flags, capturing, catching, killing, etc.) and once it's full, you can use overdrive.

I was thinking about some thing like this:

[-----|-----|-----|-----]

So as you can see from above, the bar is divided into 4 sections. Each section you fill up from flag activity, killing, etc., you can use overdrive for 2 seconds. So like 2 seconds for each bar. 2 x 4 = 8 and 8 seconds of overdrive seems reasonable.

So you can like, fill it up to 2 bars and overdrive for 4 seconds, to 3 for 6 seconds, and so on.

Let me know what you guys think :D

EDIT: 1 bar = 1.5 seconds of overdrive so 1.5 x 4 = 6 seconds of overdrive

Immanent

I kind of like and dislike this idea, because I'm always used to Overdrive using up my hp. Like Disci said, it would give the better players a greater incentive to kill people and play in a very self centered mind set, rather than work in a team (which is what CTF is focused around).

BTW: You should re-edit your OP and delete the sentence where it says:
"So like 2 seconds for each bar. 2 x 4 = 8 and 8 seconds of overdrive seems reasonable."
Might confuse people.

Propkid

+1 for this idea, but only for DM.
Actually, this would be VERY fun for DM. And I don't need to say why wouldn't it work for CTF, just read above.

DOS4/GW

Interesting idea, but I think it would get in the way of players focusing on one particular role. The results would be too chaotic.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I like the idea of a visual bar for Overdriving. In fact, I think I'd prefer a energy bar-esque system like Ellismore detailed instead of the way it is now (draining health, lasting until you're out of health, etc).

I'm not a huge fan of killing, capping, or 'achieving' to regenerate the bar or regenerate it quicker, I'd prefer it to regenerate at a constant rate. The reasoning for this is as others noted: Gives a significant edge to higher skilled players.

Basically, how it would work is that once you activate Overdrive once, it activates as normal, but will automatically stop once the Overdrive is completely depleted. At this point, the player will need to wait until the Overdrive regenerates itself (there could be segments like Ellismore illustrated if the player wanted to activate Overdrive before it was at max power, at the cost of a shorter, less powerful Overdrive.) Properties of the Overdrive would be similar to what it is now (loss of health, 88mph for stream requirement), but wouldn't last as long (less effective front routes, grab flag, then fly into the sky towards your base).

As for number of 'segments' (the point where Overdrive can be reactivated again, but at reduced effectiveness), I was thinking 3 segments for Stream OD and 1 segment for Burst OD. So it'd be similar to this:

(Note: Seymour's never been a big fan of actual numbers without testing, so take these numbers as placeholders.)

Stream: [ S1 |S2 |S3 ] S1= 2 sec. duration; S2 = 4 sec. duration; S3 = 6 sec. duration
Burst: [ S1 | S2 ] S1= Half strength boost, knock back; S2= Full strength boost, knock back

This system could be built upon by having certain weapons slow the Overdrive regeneration rate (ie: Blaster damages health and Overdrive), or Cores that increase the regeneration rate of Overdrive and/or remove the health loss (Energy Core).

ellismore

I like the idea of a visual bar for Overdriving. In fact, I think I'd prefer a energy bar-esque system like Ellismore detailed instead of the way it is now (draining health, lasting until you're out of health, etc).

I'm not a huge fan of killing, capping, or 'achieving' to regenerate the bar or regenerate it quicker, I'd prefer it to regenerate at a constant rate. The reasoning for this is as others noted: Gives a significant edge to higher skilled players.

Basically, how it would work is that once you activate Overdrive once, it activates as normal, but will automatically stop once the Overdrive is completely depleted. At this point, the player will need to wait until the Overdrive regenerates itself (there could be segments like Ellismore illustrated if the player wanted to activate Overdrive before it was at max power, at the cost of a shorter, less powerful Overdrive.) Properties of the Overdrive would be similar to what it is now (loss of health, 88mph for stream requirement), but wouldn't last as long (less effective front routes, grab flag, then fly into the sky towards your base).

As for number of 'segments' (the point where Overdrive can be reactivated again, but at reduced effectiveness), I was thinking 3 segments for Stream OD and 1 segment for Burst OD. So it'd be similar to this:

(Note: Seymour's never been a big fan of actual numbers without testing, so take these numbers as placeholders.)

Stream: [ S1 |S2 |S3 ] S1= 2 sec. duration; S2 = 4 sec. duration; S3 = 6 sec. duration
Burst: [ S1 | S2 ] S1= Half strength boost, knock back; S2= Full strength boost, knock back

This system could be built upon by having certain weapons slow the Overdrive regeneration rate (ie: Blaster damages health and Overdrive), or Cores that increase the regeneration rate of Overdrive and/or remove the health loss (Energy Core).
Yours is better than mine! :D