OS Advice?

I

IzRaPiDz

I currently have Windows 8 on my laptop. I'm thinking about down grading to Windows 7 or something. Should I or should I not?

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
1. Install Linux​
2. Realise Windows is shite for everything but gaming​
3. ????​
4. Profit​

Defender

1. Install Linux​
2. Realise Windows is shite for everything but gaming​
3. ????​
4. Profit​

If Bill Gates, had it his way there would be no Linux as we know it, no Open-source, no Modding, of game like tribes.
He blames modding for the reason Dynamix went under..
Many of the coders/scripters in the tribes community, where just as good at coding as those at Dynamix.. They where not just followers, they where innovators, some went on to become game devs, some where already code devs..

http://www.oocities.org/~nuclear_toast/tribes/45gates.html

Bill Gates Denounces Tribes 2 Open Source
Microsoft founder Bill Gates took time out of his busy Comdex and Windows XP schedule to address what is becoming his hot-button issue: open source software. Speaking to Tribes Universe, Gates discussed open source software and its impact on Tribes 2.
"See, gamers have always been an independent group," said Gates. "These are great people, and they appreciate the technology in the games they play. But they're intelligent people too, and they want to tweak and change and modify the games they play. The first game that really made this easy to do was Doom. Custom Doom levels were created by the gamers themselves. They were the first open source gamers."
According to Gates, today's open source gamers are to blame for many of the problems in the gaming industry. In particular, "mods" and "scripts" are the targets of his ire. "These add-ons pollute the pure vision of the developers, and create support nightmares. Often open source additions have no documentation, relying on expertise and word-of-mouth to install and operate. They're software anarchy."
Gates continued, "You can see the effect of this unbridled open source development in the Tribes 2 market. Did you ever wonder why Sierra eliminated Dynamix? There were more mods and scripts than all the code in the product combined. You can't remain flexible and competitive in a market like that. As I've said, open source is a follower, not an innovator, and destroys jobs. Mods and scripts killed Dynamix."

Arch

Legions Developer
If Bill Gates, had it his way there would be no Linux as we know it, no Open-source, no Modding, of game like tribes.
He blames modding for the reason Dynamix went under..
Many of the coders/scripters in the tribes community, where just as good at coding as those at Dynamix.. They where not just followers, they where innovators, some went on to become game devs, some where already code devs..

http://www.oocities.org/~nuclear_toast/tribes/45gates.html

And how does this relate to the OP? This is about operating systems, not modding Tribes and the like.

Maxter

I got Win7 on my PC. Got absolutely zero problems with it. It's also the OS which supports most softwares right now(games or otherwise). I never really tried out Windows 8, heard from a lot of people that it's more touchscreen friendly, than normal desk use. I personally wouldn't go for it unless I got something like one of those Lenovo netbooks or whatever, which can be turned into a tablet by removing the keyboard part of it.

There's also the case of Windows 8.1 being released(or maybe it's already released, I honestly don't know), which some people claim that it's a lot better than Windows 7. I'm willing to try that out pretty soon.

Offtopic: lol at Def's post.