One small step for mortars.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
If friendly fire is a possibility, ie: not being able to kill your teammates with a weapon, I would recommend implementing this on the mortar, because I, and probably others, get TK'd by the mortar when some capper comes through, or some other fan-hitting stuff hits the fan.

Thoughts?

A2

I get killed more by teammates (by mistake ofcourse) with mortars than enemies. It's quite annoying. I support

Gravis

They could decrease the aoe radius, but that would take away from it's potency. Most of the problems, for me anyway, is when some genius sits on the flag that I'll probably be shooting or when one of our chasers is right next to the enemy capper and my mortar is a split second behind the capper, thus killing the chaser. It's also difficult to contain in close-combat like in stand-offs when your shot can kill your member and much as the enemy. So half of the issue is with a light/med armor thinking he's and hof and the other half is due to miscalculation on the sent's part. Both can be solved without editing the weapon.

anak

VIP
Pretty sure mortaring the stand when you're not alone on it is a crime punishable by TK. at least thats how i justify it :)

Gravis

Well, I can then justify that by killing the capper at the same time. Your teammate respawns at your base, the enemy doesn't. If I have to stop HoF'ing to appease a moron standing next to me who would do better blocking 30-50m away, d sniping, or dealing with LO, then I might as well quit HoF'ing and kowtow to someone who doesn't like the law of cause and effect.

Strife

Removing friendly fire from AoE weapons such as the mortar is a double edged sword in that you get the obvious benefit of damage reduction to your teammates, but at the same time you're not punishing people for spamming them all over the place which can reward them (and their team) greatly in certain scenarios. Accidents happen and some events are unavoidable, as always. Ultimately the person behind the mortar has to weigh their options and if it turns out that killing you is worth killing another enemy (or enemies) then you're smoked, and I like having that in the game. While it can be annoying when you're playing a pub and your team is full of heavies spamming their mortar like it's going out of style it adds another ,albeit small, dynamic to game play that can make things more interesting for everyone.

Fixious

Test Lead
Learn to use the mortar. I'd support giving it even more power at the cost of slowing down the firing rate.

Tim-Allen.jpg

Disci

Old man
Pretty sure mortaring the stand when you're not alone on it is a crime punishable by TK. at least thats how i justify it :)

Apparently that's not considered a TK. But here's something to ponder for those who supports team killing if it serves a higher purpose, what if you miss? What then? Congratulations, you're a heavy and therefore pretty much useless as a chaser if the capper knows even slightly what to do and you just killed your chaser(s). Your excuses for team killing are smelling like big pile of poo and it just seems that you try to justify your selfish playstyle. That and iOD is still more viable way to stop cappers, but it doesn't insta kill them, so I now understand why all the mortar spam... :rolleyes:

Removing team damage from a high knock-back weapon is always a very bad idea. As I mentioned somewhere else, if you did this, then all you need is for a good heavy to shoot a mortar behind you as you go on your route. I remember doing this in tribes (in ff-off) games, was utterly OP. I used to be able to grab at over 300 without any damage at all, and with very little set-up time.

DKnight556

The problem I have is that in pubs many times their will be some idiot with the mortar who sits on a wall and just fires onto the stand while the real hof is trying to actual be effective

Disci

Old man
It's a wonder there's no environmental destruction even with the mortar, eh?

You think that'd be possible and even needed?

The problem I have is that in pubs many times their will be some idiot with the mortar who sits on a wall and just fires onto the stand while the real hof is trying to actual be effective

Yes, that's what people have been saying for weeks now.