Offically Unoffical Base Asset Discussion

ContingencyPl4n

Elite Pro Mapmaker
baseassetsn.png

As the picture shows, Assets are a high probability. Why not get some ideas now?

Lets get this Started shall we. (This includes Deployables)

What kind of things is everyone looking for? I know good ol' Sey has some information if it wasnt lost in the original forums.

BASE:
-Generator
-Inv Station
-Radar
-Anti-Llama Turret
-Heat seeking Disc Turret

-Generator: obviously to power things. I wouldn't mind seeing more then one type, like in Tribes (OMG TRIBES), on rollercoaster. It had the two solar panels, this makes it more believable then two random gens in the open.

-Inv Station: gets the loadout you customized, also just going near it resupplies you.

-Radar: allows people to see on a Command Map where things are, such as enemies. (if no map, then on the HUD.) An idea I had was that a Radar shows only when a person does something, like firing a weapon, set down a deployable, ect. Then have the Deployable Radars show ALL activity. (kinda one reason more to use the Deployable)

-Anti-Llama Turret: pretty much explains it.

-HSDT: Tribes used heat seeking rockets, and people used discs, legions players use rockets, have the turret use Discs :p

Deployables:
-Sensor
-Inv Station
-Turret

-Sensor: detects ALL activity in a small area
-Inv Station: functions the same, limited uses
-Turret: defense turret for defense, srsly!

Obviously there is more I could come up with, but I am having brain lock :(

What are your ideas? (as most of mine are basic, id like to see more crazy/inventive ones)

By-Tor

Private Tester
BASE:
-Generator - yes
-Inv Station - no (the one thing I disliked in Tribes was waiting for the damn invo's to open up or to have to repair them.)
-Radar - yes
-Anti-Llama Turret - yes
-Heat seeking Disc Turret -yes

Deployables:
-Sensor - yes
-Inv Station - no. But what about a Health/Ammo recharge deployable instead. (which implies ditching the auto-health regeneration)
-Turret - yes

-Mines - yes

discord

Private Tester
Deployable: Sensor jammer - IFF disabled within X radius, deadzone on any radar, flag carrier icon disappears along with IFF
Limited number deployed at once, say 2.

Invisibility beacon: you assemble a beacon that makes all players in its radius invisible. It will take some time to assemble it so to avoid passing the whole map invisible just by throwing it down and picking it up again.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Brainstorming one of the most important upcoming changes is probably a really good idea. I'll cut a snippet from my original thread (from the IA) forums that dealt with Base structures and I also included deployables/items, as they're kinda in the same league.

Also, don't confuse this outline as being anything official, this was something written on my own time based on stuff that I'd like to personally see. It's by no means indicative of where the direction for Legions: Overdrive is headed.

Base Structures
Generator
Heavily shielded, powers all base structures. If destroyed all base structures are rendered unusable and unshielded until the generator is repaired to 20% health. The Generator is also able to slowly self-repair itself to 20% health as long as it's not receiving damage.

Pulse Sensor
Moderately shielded, displays all enemy IFFs within its radius. Destructible.

Heavy Turret
Heavily shielded, attacks all enemies within its range, not able to be player controlled. Destructible.
Two types:
Plasma Turret: Moderate damage, moderate rate of fire, moderate projectile speed, light splash radius, effective against shielded units.
Rocket Turret: Moderate damage, slow rate of fire, fast projectile speed, moderate knockback, moderate splash radius

Medium Turret
Moderate shielding, AI-controlled or player controlled, turret type can be switched by a player when in use. When near the turret a player can take control of the turret, aiming and firing the turret at their discretion. While under player control, the player can switch the turrets weapon mode. After the player disengages from the turret, it resumes being AI-controlled and utilizes the last turret type that was selected by the player. This allows players to quickly adjust the turret configuration to deal with the situation at hand.
Turret types:
Chaingun Mode: Moderate damage, high rate of fire, moderate range, fast projectile speed, less effective against shielded units, weapon can overheat after prolonged use (resulting in a cooldown phase), most effective with short bursts. In AI-Mode, the AI does not use short bursts, so will periodically overheat.
Plasma Mode: Moderate damage, moderate rate of fire, moderate range, moderate projectile speed, light splash radius, effective against shielded units.
ELF Mode: Moderate damage, short range, steady damage against target within range, similar properties to ELF gun, however energy drain is much more effective as is the health drain.

Light Turret
Lightly shielded, attacks all enemies within its range. Destructible. Small size makes it suitable for interior defense.
Light damage, moderate rate of fire, fast projectile speed, short range.

Blast Shield
A energy wall which prevents enemy fire from passing through. It does not restrict enemy movement, only their weapon fire. The shield is one way, so weapon fire can pass through on one side, but not the other. Indestructible, disappears if the Generator is destroyed. The idea of this is to prevent mortar spamming the enemy flagstand or enemy base, as well as avoiding overly effective offensive sniping, but without restricting enemy movement.

Team Shield
A energy wall which prevent enemy movement and weapon fire from bypassing. Has no effect on teammates. Indestructible, disappears if the Generator is destroyed. The idea of this is to prevent rape of specific inventory stations, or access to specific locations of the players base until the generator is destroyed. This way a Spawn player is not zerg rushing your inventory stations.

Inventory Station
Equips the Legionnaire with their chosen layout. One Inventory Station is able to equip three Legionnaires at once. Lightly shielded, destructible.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Part deux.

Items
Consumable Items
Flare

When thrown, the flare is indicated on teammates HUDs, and any enemy within its radius will be spotted and their IFF appear on users teammates HUD. It will also reveal hidden enemies around its radius. It can be destroyed, and does have a time to live (TTL). Use consumes the item.

Beacon
Places a marker on teammates HUD that shows the beacons location and its distance away from the teammates location. It can be destroyed, and has no TTL. Use consumes the item.

Frag Grenade
Short range, moderate-high damage, moderate splash radius, light detonation time, moderate knockback effect. Use consumes the item.

EMP Grenade
Short range, moderate damage against targets energy, moderate splash radius, light detonation time, light knockback effect. Use consumes the item.

Sticky Grenade
 Short range, moderate damage, moderate splash radius, moderate detonation time, light knockback effect. If the enemy is directly hit by the grenade, the grenade sticks to the enemy, causing full damage. This grenade can be 'shaken off', by the player entering OD. Use consumes the item.

Mine
Thrown item that will set itself onto the ground. Before it's set, it can be destroyed, causing the main weapon's damage + low-moderate damage from the mine. After it's set into the ground, any passing player that steps on it receives moderate-high damage. Item has a TTL and can be destroyed. Consumes the item.

Health Kit
When used, 50% health is restored automatically. Consumes the item.

Deployable Items
Motion sensor
When deployed, it will prevent any stealthed enemies from activated their full stealth. Does not have a TTL, and it can be destroyed. Not deployable by light frames. It can also be redeployed to another location if needed.

Turret
When deployed, it will attack any enemies that come within its radius. Unable to detect active stealthed units, not shielded, does not have a TTL, and is destroyable. It can also be redeployed to another location if needed. Not deployable by light frames.
Item has a high rate of fire, causes low damage, moderate-fast projectile speed, less effective against shielded units.

Portable Ammo station
When deployed, it allows teammates to replenish their ammunition. Has no shielding, no TTL, and can also be redeployed to another location if needed.. Not deployable by light frames.

Shield Generator
When deployed, deployable base assets (ie: motion sensors, turrets, ammo stations) receives light shielding. Nowhere near as strong as a base structure's shielding, but enough to absorb some damage. Not deployable by light frames. It can also be redeployed to another location if needed.

Passive Items
Ammo Pack
Increases ammunition carried. Passive item.

Spiked Plates
Passive item that allows the player to cause additional damage from body blocks.

we have to remember that legions is a fast paced game with fast movement and actions and some of these items could slow the game down or just be a handicap to the player deploying them.
and the turrets could be almost useless unless they were really accurate, but that wouldnt be fair
i see the turrets only making the flag more difficult to cap since the player would be making aerial maneuvers.
bottom line im not up for the turrets

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
we have to remember that legions is a fast paced game with fast movement and actions and some of these items could slow the game down or just be a handicap to the player deploying them.
and the turrets could be almost useless unless they were really accurate, but that wouldnt be fair
i see the turrets only making the flag more difficult to cap since the player would be making aerial maneuvers.
bottom line im not up for the turrets

I like to think of turret placement becoming a bit of a skill unto itself. Legionnaires have high mobility, so a lone turret in the middle of an open field would be useless. The Legionnaire would effortlessly destroy it before it had a chance, avoid it, etc. However, turrets placed on specific choke points (say: a narrow corridor the Legionnaire has to travel through), well, now they're more effective.

As for making the flags more difficult to cap. Damn straight! There will be much more reliance on your LO and HO to properly launch an offensive and clear off that flag stand. Easier? No. More dynamic? Yes! Hohohoho!

masterluso

Although I do love to simply OD through a base and take the flag, I sorta like the idea of actually having to clear it out. Previously, the only thing stopping that was that annoying HoF. Plus, it would help even out the game when the teams are unbalanced: A team could focus more on defense and still hold off the attackers that would normally kill them(perhaps with the help of turret AIs).

Severance

Private Tester
You make excellent arrows, i'm infinitely jealous.

On topic; Awesome, maybe I can go back to my T1 position of Heavy Offense!

Flare

When thrown, the flare is indicated on teammates HUDs, and any enemy within its radius will be spotted and their IFF appear on users teammates HUD. It will also reveal hidden enemies around its radius. It can be destroyed, and does have a time to live (TTL). Use consumes the item.
I think this is an interesting idea, however, if it is a flare in the normal sense of the word, would it not also give enemies your IFF?
I understand that it could be made to not do that, (be some kind of electronic flare that sends a signal back to teammates HUDs but not enemies, or something like that) however if it Were to do that I think it could also add to tactics somewhat. For example, it wouldn't be the teams goal to constantly throw them up and reveal nearby enemies, however, if you get attacked, but aren't immediately sure where the attack came from, throw a flare.
They already know where you are so It would not give them any advantage, however you would now know where they are.

EMP Grenade
Short range, moderate damage against targets energy, moderate splash radius, light detonation time, light knockback effect. Use consumes the item.
Since it's being identified as an EMP grenade, and does less actual health damage, I feel it would make sense if it interfere's with electronics or jets or something.
I'd suggest that for a few seconds certain Elements of your hud stops working, i.e. radar. Depending on whether the grenade appears too strong or weak, it could be made to affect more systems, perhaps even interfering with the smooth running of the players jets, causing them to cut out. It could also be made that the more Direct a hit the player gets from one of these, the more systems are affected.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Tether Anchors.

In regards to other things, I'm fine with small auto-turrets, though I believe that any heavy fire should be dealt by a human via the above. Aside from that, I'm pretty much okay with everything else.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I think this is an interesting idea, however, if it is a flare in the normal sense of the word, would it not also give enemies your IFF?
I understand that it could be made to not do that, (be some kind of electronic flare that sends a signal back to teammates HUDs but not enemies, or something like that) however if it Were to do that I think it could also add to tactics somewhat. For example, it wouldn't be the teams goal to constantly throw them up and reveal nearby enemies, however, if you get attacked, but aren't immediately sure where the attack came from, throw a flare.
They already know where you are so It would not give them any advantage, however you would now know where they are.

Yar, originally I designed the Flare as to be a counter against an active Shield Core player, but yeah, that would be another use for the Flare. As for revealing your own IFF, I dunno, for gameplay's sake, probably not. With that said, if you're throwing flares out left and right, chances are an enemy's spotted you by now.

Since it's being identified as an EMP grenade, and does less actual health damage, I feel it would make sense if it interfere's with electronics or jets or something.
I'd suggest that for a few seconds certain Elements of your hud stops working, i.e. radar. Depending on whether the grenade appears too strong or weak, it could be made to affect more systems, perhaps even interfering with the smooth running of the players jets, causing them to cut out. It could also be made that the more Direct a hit the player gets from one of these, the more systems are affected.

Good idea. It could also be made to be extra effective at destroying base structures.