Offensive Coordination and Capping

So I've seen a lot of talk about how people believe chasing and defense is overpowered and I wanted to weight in my opinions on why and what we can do to indirectly buff offense. I'd like to preface by saying I don't think chasing with shield core is broken, though it is currently overpowered in needs a nerf. I don't think that it should be taken out of the game because it's necessary for medium-large (think Elegiac-Zenith) maps chasing, which I always felt was lacking in this game and is too hard to do, along with certain routes on small maps that people often run, like the front to backs on Frostbyte.

I think everyone can agree offensive coordination declined while dueling and chasing skills (despite it being easier, people are just better at it) have skyrocketed. This is due to there being less team competition, PUGs, and reasons for anyone to get better at anything other than solo pursuits. People used to go out on a limb to practice together in pubs or by themselves to improve their passing, routes and timings. *Tribes: Ass-End*, as an example, has (or had?) greater offensive coordination even in PUGs. This is a result of it being more important in the game towards the goal of getting the flag out.

A big reason for that is the super fast-paced style of Legions. You constantly need people on their way to the other base, otherwise the other team has a chance of getting out and capping with no egrabs ready. The general map pool is a big proponent of this. We mostly play small, front-route heavy OD maps that are dominated by defense. If we played more maps, it'd be different.

In the last Gorge PUG we played there, defense dominated on both sides for the first half of the game because the offenses had an extremely hard time doing anything with their lack of coordination. As the game progressed, they realized this and started running more unique, well-timed plays which led to them getting out more (at least the other team did, my team's offense just started running more sneaky fronts). I feel although defense seemed very strong on Gorge, a map like that has a lot of offensive potential, especially if you play it with a *Tribes: Ass-End* style where the entire offense is organized.

How does this work? First, the capper(s) stays back for a few seconds while the clear moves out towards the base, but not to it, and gets in position. If they're having trouble doing this because of being tied of to the defense physically leaving their base and dueling with them, they can stick together or designate someone to duel him while the other get into a sneakier position. When the capper is ~15 out, the offense, already in position, moves in and focuses the defense, specifically the HoF first and chaser second.

Making every run count instead of freestyle-cowboying is the way to go on maps like Gorge that we don't play often. We don't play them often for a few reasons. For one, there's often a large problem with these maps that can be, are being, and should be fixed. Gorge's middle needs to be reworked first. Forgotten is getting reworked which is awesome. Some people think Reactor has some small problems that could be easily fixed. Fallout and Mirage both need their base and stand reworked. Sleepwalker's bases need to be more similar, especially the bridge stand side that could be changed.

Next, they don't pop up in pubs very often because of player numbers. This then leads to the maps not getting played in PUGs because people don't know them enough or straight up forget about them. The last reason is a result of those two last ideas - there's a distinct lack of good cappers and good cap routes on maps like this. This hurts the prospects of playing the game with more coordination and teamwork. While that might not be everyone's cup of tea, I think it brings variety and depth to Legions in the form of teamwork that I'd like to see more of.

So how can we fix these problems? Well, a lot of it is already going on. We're getting more players to play bigger maps more. We're fixing a lot of the maps we have problems with We're playing more PUGs. We just had a team competition that will hopefully end up being a monthly thing. The other problems can be fixed with a bit of a nudge. Here's what we can to do:

1. Tinker with the existing maps. Send them out to test with fixes and new iterations more often.

2. We need to find and share cap routes. The best way we can do this is from cap routes and sharing capping demos. Something like Zhou 2 would be great, meaning an awesome route video focused on the maps we could be playing more and new routes we haven't seen/people don't know. Reactor, Sleepwalker, Stygian, Gorge, Whiteout, Zenith, etc.

3. We need to play more maps and start trying new offensive strategies on them in PUGs. To do this, we really need people to speak up and lead - and not just the cappers. This would also require pressuring people to use their comms more and buy damn microphones.

ContingencyPl4n

Elite Pro Mapmaker
1. Yes please
2. YES PLEASE
3. YES PLLLLLLLLLEASE

ok srs time

1. If something is wrong with reactor let me know, I dont tend to be on TS3 or look into the custom map area that much anymore, Ill fix it. again, just tell me whats up.
2. I agree that maps are not played that much we need them played more.
-I also agree that cappers dont have many routes, being on defense I see the same 1-2 routes used over and over, Zenith is a prime example. (Envy stop doing ur one right route, thar bee moar! :mad: :p)
3. The problem I see with lacking Offense is what follows as my explanation

People dont try things out, or pay attention to the little things. LO as just become run over and shoot someone, or do a route because they can. Legit LO that tries to distract, stay alive, and/or just be a pest isnt utilized that much. Let alone as a team (hell I remember when bowl party was all the rage, and thats because Mabel was like LOLOL watch this! and it worked.) Trying to get offense to work together is something that doesnt happen much simply because pubs consist of chasers, cappers, and MAYBE a HoF. LO and SaH dont exist to an extent that they need to. Hell what ever happened to sweeper? Kryst? Kryyyyyst? KRYST, HUH, HUUUUUH, WHAT, YEAH, NO, SOMETHING ELSE I WILL YELL! (<3). Something I found out by accident was that I think people (read: Defense) dont like back routes on Frost. I did one right after I ninja joined a channel in TS3 with Envy and I think Krakyn, and Krakyn expressed his displeasure that I did it (w/o knowing I was in TS) and Envy said "yeah its all he does on Frost." ok with that said a few things:

1. Stating that example wasnt ment to be a shot at those two, but to help explain my point, so dont take it wrong.
2. It seemed to me that the fact that I did it showed that Krakyn didnt see it coming (YUS!) and that he (obviously) didnt like it.
3. Now heres where the 'pay attention to the little things' comes into play. Why wasnt he jetting up looking for routes? why wasnt someone watching for back routes? I think its because so many people just do fronts that he thought there was never a need to watch for them, but then why? I think its because the idea of different routes on established maps are WAY less common. There needs to be more of it. (whens that last time someone did the ass-crack route coming into alpha cappers? Reaver was the last one I saw do it, last week, before that, months, and it was Pop. I have a weird ability to remember route details like that :S) So why is the awareness low, why are cappers doing 1-2 routes per map? no LO/capper or SaH/HoF/Chaser teamwork? because people dont try it. I agree Fire, there needs to be more teamwork and more people playing those positions, and working together.

I have admin some of the servers so if I can, ill start doing a more random rotation of maps so that its not the same few (I wont do it all the time, I will respect the auto-rotation of maps). Ill quit HoFing and do something else, to get more teamwork outta people. I hope we can turn this around :(. Im with ya Fire!

idk what happened here, my mind just kinda *chocolate cookies* itself and that came out, if you need me to explain, I will do so later... :S

Fixious

Test Lead
Cappers also need to call out their times so LO can be actually relevant. On something like Frostbyte it isn't as important because there's such a small distance between the bases. All you really need to tell them is clear now, unless you're doing a back route. On maps like Zenith, Ele or Gorge it's more important (especially Ele). Not everyone enjoys using their mic (huehue), nor does everyone have a mic to begin with. As a half-assed attempt at addressing this, here's a minor addition to the quickchat system:

https://mega.co.nz/#!9V9HgKbL!ZcQgCkGBHcN2HlKu7eRYvlAf7552iLAkUllXHLx--sM

It adds 3 additional options for the Flag quickchat. CF3 = "I'm going for the enemy flag, I'll be there in 30". CF2 is 20, and CF1 is 10. CF1 is a combination of "I'm going for the enemy flag" and "Is the enemy base clear?".

1. If something is wrong with reactor let me know, I dont tend to be on TS3 or look into the custom map area that much anymore, Ill fix it. again, just tell me whats up.

I have admin some of the servers so if I can, ill start doing a more random rotation of maps so that its not the same few

I have little to no problems with it other than the textures/sky which I fixed myself. I've heard some other people don't like parts of it, though (the middle?). I'll look at it analytically tonight.

I also switch to maps sometimes (after the game is done). Specifically stuff like Sleepwalker and Stygian which I think need to be in the rotation more.

I think its because the idea of different routes on established maps are WAY less common. There needs to be more of it. (whens that last time someone did the ass-crack route coming into alpha cappers? Reaver was the last one I saw do it, last week, before that, months, and it was Pop. I have a weird ability to remember route details like that :S) So why is the awareness low, why are cappers doing 1-2 routes per map? no LO/capper or SaH/HoF/Chaser teamwork? because people dont try it. I agree Fire, there needs to be more teamwork and more people playing those positions, and working together.

This is very true, too. There's two things that people need to do to fix this.

1. More variety in their routes.
2. Better self clearing. Fixious is the only one I've seen toss EMP nades while coming in to any effect, and I don't see anyone shooting rockets/nades while coming in at the LD like Unknown used to hit me with all the damn time. If you watch some good Tribes 1 cappers, they come in tossing hand nades, shooting their grenade launchers and landing discs on the defense before they hit the stand.

Last edited:

BugsPray

Legions Developer
Back when Jenkins was still playing, we had this concept called "2.5 O, 4.5D" that was centered around this idea of offensive coordination being paramount. The premise was that with the right pressure in the right spots at critical moments, you could overwhelm the defense with 3 players. 2 of the players were running extremely coordinated routes that had different combinations where they were never coming in through the same side and they always hit within a 1-2 second period of time. We could have got them to hit at the same time, but that isn't necessarily beneficial. The other player was an LO who would constantly apply pressure to the HoF and LD starting about 4-5 seconds before the cappers arrived. This isn't a whole lot different from LO normally, but we recognized that LO would often spend time waiting and sitting at the enemy base (perhaps bowl partying to add some effectiveness), then moving in when the cappers called for it.

This was problematic for 2 reasons: 1. We realized that the LO was only generating pressure on the D by killing them (this does nothing for your cappers when they aren't actually hitting the stand), and 2. the LO often did play the role of e-grabbing, which is fine but results in low quality grabs that are hard to get home. So we decided to split the LO's time at home defending the base/flag and having him clear for cappers. The idea was that if we could keep the flag home more regularly, we wouldn't need to force lower quality e-grabs and we increase the likelihood that we didn't need to enter into a stand-off situation - we would just cap on every grab. So basically we'd time the LO's front-route with the cappers' routes and explicitly have the cappers call the time at which the LO needed to suicide, then leave with full health after body-blocking, killing LO, etc.

We found the key to winning the 3O vs 3-4D game is to make sure you don't have them all focused on your cappers (obviously), so you either kill them or apply pressure by making them focus on you. So we had the LO somewhat regularly grab the flag if he saw no resistance and OD out the front, even if it sacrificed a higher quality grab. This meant that any time the D saw the LO come in, they considered them a threat and assigned someone to him, positioned for the front chase, or had the HoF OD block him. If you're lucky, you get 2 of the D to do it. In 1v1 situations, cappers should generally win, but in the off-chance the first capper didn't we had the secondary capper coming in to clean up.

As you can imagine, this resulted in much slower gameplay for the enemy D and our O, but it was surprisingly effective since we kept the flag at home and we got out every time. I don't know how this strategy would work now given the new cores and things, but I think it exemplifies what you think is interesting gameplay, Fire. Legions currently has little of that even in PUGs. We could definitely use some resurgence of team-play.

Sin

Private Tester
Throwing this out here. After picks, maybe a captain should select himself to direct either the offense or defense, and then set another player on his team to lead the other? For example, say I captain a pug and select myself to HoF and be the "captain" of the defense. If I picked Fire, or someone else vocal, forgive me I don't know the current players very well due to my absence, I would have him run the offense. Sort of a dual captain thing, that way one person doesn't run the entire map from one base. I think this would encourage players to speak, with two guys focusing on either two or three other players on their "squad".

ContingencyPl4n

Elite Pro Mapmaker
that could work Sin, unless you are a good leader. There are people that can look at a situation in legions and direct people on what needs done, unfortunately, there arn't many of them, so your idea may be useful.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
We could make this happen despite the number of people who are interested in the game. Next time we have a PUG I'll make sure to remember to involve this. Also, we could probably use Bugs' strategy in some of our team games and see if it is still relevant. I just really wish that we had some more competition, it would make thing much more exciting and worth the time we put into it. Hopefully there is a tournament sometime soon. The next month is here.

Main problem I've noticed is that when you put someone on offense in a pug, they just assume they are going to cap and this leads into 2-3 cappers and only 1 actual offense. These cappers also don't call times and are unconsistent while not having a variety of routes either. Self clear is also nice, but not as necessary as giving good times so I can kill everything :p

Not sure what happened, but after Legions Weekend it seems like the pubs died. Less people playing in the last week than I've seen since I started playing again this year. I don't know if it's a busy part of the summer for people or what. I felt like some of the people we could have gained from the weekend has already been lost due to this.

There was ~1 PUG I remember during the weekend, none the next week and none this week that I saw (was out yesterday myself, though). New update and maps + map fixes came today and there wasn't enough people to hardly even test them.

Xtreme

shaska's bff
I would expect that any decent capper knows to clear for himself, but I agree with the broader point of this thread: there are not many people who play offence right. For capping specifically, there are few players who really 'feel' the terrain and learn to take advantage of it. The result is many mediocre grabs which (thanks to gren jumps, cores etc) are usually stopped midfield. I think a big part of capping is discovering which are the best hills to take and how to create the most fluid routes, not just relying on your core or hoping that enemy defense will *dance* up.

I was planning to upload a capping serie where I use medium class without any core, but something tells me there are not many people who will find it useful anymore... I guess I can start with some of those maps you said we should play more often

Maxter

Alright, so I read only Fire's post, so mine's only going to be a reply to his. First of all, I loved Gorge. Never knew when, how or why that map was taken out. I used to dislike that map the first few times I've played it(this was when the map got released), but then played it a lot more and loved it.

The reason a lot of people hated the map I guess, is because of how "fortified" the bases were on the front. People could stand on the wall and just call out incoming cappers easily or harass incoming LO. They would also have that height advantage. The enemy LO would have to first climb up to that wall to start their work, mostly being at half or less energy at the start of a duel.

I noticed a long time ago that if the the bases did not have the least bit of natural defence in any map, offense on that base would be easy. Another map which made it hard for offense would be the virgin Forgotten. After she got raped and was turned into an orange Nivosis, it just became well... stale.

Generally speaking, after having played HoF during these past few weeks both in public games and pick ups, I was able to grasp a certain truth regarding Legions gameplay. First and foremost, everyone in this game ends up being lazy regardless of the position they play in. This is not the player's fault, as it only happens when certain conditions are met, one of them being that the player plays the game with the same people over and over again. It's just that if challenge declines, the player tends to use more straightforward and obvious methods while playing his/her position.

Now, apply that to offense Vs defence. While I play HoF, and this is, say in a random pub, the first few minutes I see enemy players doing front OD routes/mid level side routes. After I've shut them down during the entirety of that time, I see the ones who were doing front routes are now doing side routes and turning to LO once blocked. The ones who were doing mid level side routes now do high speed back mid routes which are harder to watch for and block. I still manage to block the ones who I know are truly the cappers and not decoys. But yet again, the tactics have changed. The weapons have changed, timing is more precise, defence weaknesses are now being looked at and exploited. So what do we learn from all this?

My point is, we are all like the predators from the Predators movie :D. The more the challenge is thrown at us, the more we adapt and coordinate. This happens throughout every game we play. So if you want people to acknowledge the importance of offense coordination, the defence first needs to be challenging, frightening even. Although, you can't expect the same level of challenge from the enemy team every time you play a pick up, so why not set a minimum defence level by increasing natural defence on all the maps. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
No one likes Gorge because when it first came out it got spammed in public games (Every other map due to how high the chances for it were) and it suddenly became a pub killer. It's one of the better 'new' maps. It forces people to play better because the middle is harder to navigate round.

I was planning to upload a capping serie where I use medium class without any core, but something tells me there are not many people who will find it useful anymore... I guess I can start with some of those maps you said we should play more often

I did a few with outrider, then I realised no one would care because it simply isn't the best way to cap anymore, even if it is the most player-rewarding. The only routes that are potentially 'worth it' are ones that come from harder to see angles, because iOD is so easy to use and completely block the capper. (more on this below)

I am pretty much done on this game because the addition of new cores was done without any thought on how it would affect gameplay. Instead we are left cores that aren't particularly interesting and pretty basic in terms of game design. Personally I believe they should just remove shield. It is boring mechanically (PRESS R TO WIN - I disagree with this design with certain champions in league too.) It currently does the job of two cores in one, dodge because of its duelling potential, and boost, because of its shielding vs self impacts. It currently does both of this jobs as good as if not better than both of those cores. It is potentially a nightmare to balance and I believe the devs shouldn't try when they could focus on something that is potentially makes the game more fun and interesting to play. I think the other Fire came up for a reason for not changing shield too much because of chasers needing the god boost on larger maps to chase while I'd agree with this partially if we ever played larger maps. I disagree with this because of the following reasons:
  1. We always generally play smaller maps, it makes sense to balance movement abilities around what the community is currently playing and it has been smaller maps. I just believe we should balance the game around that first, then worry about larger maps later.
  2. Not every map should be ideal for chasing, other strategies should be developed for each map, i.e. snipers could be more effective on larger maps because when doing speed routes, one tends to fly in a straight line, going towards base, and after they have picked it up. (not to mention cappers can also gain easy speed from shield) Additionally you could not have a chaser at all and have an extra HOF, or have an extra man on offense. #ChangingTheMeta is good.
Generally the problem with shield is that it makes movement even easier in a game whose movement is already considered way too easy by tribes vets. Its hard to balance and boring.

They should possibly remove boost as well (Namely because its overtly harder to balance out for each class, as already noted). One argument for keeping boost may be because the player wants to carry a different type of grenade (i.e. EMP but still have good mobility.)

They could lower the weight/health on the Sentinel while keeping the current ratio. Sentinel is too fat to do anything at the moment. It needs more movement and less health in my opinion for more emergent gameplay to come across like possibly heavy offense potentially more T:A style other than just sit on flag. (I know this could be considered boring but at least it gets the heavy out of the base.

There was also rumors of an "Iron Man" Core that would have replaced iOD, which is the worst core in the game, but details were vague and I don't know what was planned mechanically but I'm sure anything would be funner to use and more interesting than iOD. If the weight/health changes went ahead, I'd argue to replace iOD with normal overdrive on sentinel. Then you ask what about blocking cappers when iOD is removed, I believe that the extra mobility on the Sentinel will help it survive for longer generally. Dodge core can also be used for blocking cappers, although it takes more skill and is more reliant on having good timing in addition to the basic body blocks which is possible and easy to do on any class. iOD additionally isn't particularly fun to play with (PRESS R again). The thing I found gameplay wise that was interesting about it was the fact that you could boost people with it. The OD slingshot, but it was way too hard to do which made it not possible to be used in a competitive environment. In fact, a new core that would be able to boost player's movement speed would be more interesting and more reliant on teammates working together which something lacking from the current iteration of the game.

The cores that are interesting gameplay-wise are dodge core, namely because it allows sick plays to be done. Although is does need to have a small energy drain coupled with it which most people know about. Regen core is also interesting in the fact that you can use it to heal teammates, so it can be very effective if team members on defence worked together. Then of course the mighty warp core which is FANTASTIC fun to play around with, but another criticism of iOD, is that it blocks the warp core completely and the main reason no one uses it in current pugging. I disagree with that approach now seeing as we have EMP grenade that has a similar function and therefore HOF's should carry EMPs if they wanted to stop this kind of capping (You can also bodyblock warp cappers as well). Basic overdrive is meh, but I think thats because its been in the game the longest and therefore everyone in a way has got somewhat tired of it. In terms of game design, its an okay idea, but now in this community one that has been simply overused.

I think the problems with Cores has at least has already been noted by Bugspray as I heard that Z wasn't having overdrive (or something similar) placed in that game. I completely agree.

/rant

I might do another weapon rant later (that has more issues than skybolt vs chain that I've been also ranting on about recently), additionally I might come back to this thread later when my fingers aren't so tired to talk about respawn times and how it affects d/o balance.

Xtreme

shaska's bff
No one likes Gorge because [...] It forces people to play better

Clearly this is a problem which cannot be fixed!

I did a few with outrider, then I realised no one would care because it simply isn't the best way to cap anymore, even if it is the most player-rewarding. The only routes that are potentially 'worth it' are ones that come from harder to see angles, because iOD is so easy to use and completely block the capper. (more on this below)

It's not rewarding, for me it's a matter of principle. The idea of having things like warp and iOD in this game makes me crazy... is it impossible to imagine heavy to play hof without pressing r or capper who finds ways to grab without teleporting away? Could you guys be any more lazy?

They could lower the weight/health on the Sentinel while keeping the current ratio. Sentinel is too fat to do anything at the moment.

Or you know, they could change light and medium to make things more reasonable. Heavy is not too fat, 5-6 rj together with mortar you can do 1 man chasing

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbeW_4wzPsb1ea4r3yIcrV0xRTR94qxuB

I will do stygian etc eventually! ..

Last edited:

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Or you know, they could change light and medium to make things more reasonable. Heavy is not too fat, 5-6 rj together with mortar you can do 1 man chasing

How you're going to convince americans do this? Better to change heavy than light.

My thoughts on the cores, armors, and weapons. Cores probably aren't going away, so better it's better to think about how to change them rather than what the game would be like without them (which was the same old same old in need of new stuff). Note I haven't played much in the last 2-3 weeks since I'm in a Tribes 1 tournament and needed to gain some of my skill back from that game.

Raider - Underpowered and underused compared to outrider. I disagree with Xtreme and don't think you can cap (much easier to block for stand d, I have no problem when Bel breaks out his raider capping which might be the best in the game) or chase (not enough burst speed, which you need on small maps since the chases are so short) with it as effective as outrider. Outrider also feels like it's better at dueling. I think the air control of raiders can be buffed slightly, and possibly the outrider's nerfed. This would tighten up the gap a bit in terms of effectiveness at what it can do.

Sentinel - I agree with Maxter with increasing it's health regen speed until it feels like it fits. This will lead to more sentinels on offense.

Mortar - Buff the mortar. The mortar in this game is pathetic. Look towards how it was in T1/T2. It was a killer. It's weaker in this game than both of those games, even disregarding the ability to dodge it much easier. The splash raidus needs to be increased and the range/arc needs to be longer/adjusted. This will also open up the possibility of using the sentinel on offense more.

iOD - I think the wake needs a decrease in size. If it was thinner, cappers would have a bigger chance to maenuver and get past it. Also decrease it's duration by a hair. Make it harder to use in general.

Shield - Like I said, I think this is needed for chasing. Even on small maps. This thread was made pre-nerf and I think it's fine now from a boosting point of view. I like how it adapted out of what it was made to be (more of a dueling tool, though we have dodge for that) into something with it's own identity. I believe Pop said he's going to make it take damage from chain, which he actually thought it did. I'd lik to see an increase in it's cooldown to lower spam rate of it and make people question the timing they are going to use it. Right now, the earlier you use it in a fight, the better because you have a good chance of getting it back before the duel is over. It would take more thought into using it and would decrease it's effectiveness while capping and chasing if the cooldown was increased.

Dodge - I do like the sound of it taking a bit of energy to use. Maybe 15-20% of your total pool. I think we could play with that and see how it works.

Warp - I like where it is now. Too much usage of this makes the game unfun in my opinion, but having it has a more niche option for specialized routes is where it should be.

EMP Nade - I like it being in the game and I like that it lead to cappers throwing one before they hit the stand at the HoF. It leads to a skill-shot sort of mechanic where if it lands, can be very beneficial to the HoF. One thing we can do to punish LO for using it is to decrease the amount of them you get to 1-2. With one, the LO only has on shot to hit the HoF at the right time and the capper still has one to land one themself. Two will give a little more leighway but will have a similar effect.

Boost Nades - I also think if you nerf the amount you have to start with to 2-3, more people will use frags and these will stop being spammed so much.