New Tribes (Legit)

What do you think it will be like?

• Total voters

Haptic

So, if anyone has not heard, the company, Hi-Res Studios (made Global Agenda), bought out the rights to the tribes series and are making a new addition to the Tribes Games. Here's the site: Tribes: Universe. Personally, If they make it as they made Global Agenda, it's going to crap. Played Global Agenda and hated it. But hey, maybe it will turn out alright.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
with that being said, I left #tribesuniverse in my idling list, and guess what! No one talks in there :(

Fixious

Test Lead
God only knows. Sounds like they're removing 3rd person view, which I'm iffy about. Also sounds like there might be sprinting, which is *dancing* pointless in Tribes.

I was more interested in Firefall, to be honest. When someone tries to reboot a series, why do they always have to change it up so much? There's a reason it was so popular.

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
God only knows. Sounds like they're removing 3rd person view, which I'm iffy about. Also sounds like there might be sprinting, which is *dancing* pointless in Tribes.
I don't... Why... Wait...
Huh?

Where do you get this stuff? :p

Fixious

Test Lead
I don't... Why... Wait...
Huh?

Where do you get this stuff? :p

Third person will be an option 'in some vehicles'. Bottom of first post: http://forum.globalagendagame.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=27766

As for sprinting: http://forum.tribesuniverse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=536&start=0

confused.jpg

Propkid

Sorry for a bump but I love how 'level 50 Global Agenda players' are the first ones to test this in alpha and beta... I mean... we are all here, some of us Tribes vets, rest of us skilled FPS+Z maniacs doing amazing things with OD and fragjumps and the next Tribes game will be tested out by... MMORPG players? Seriously? I've played GA: it requires as much FPS skills as pacman does and I don't think that anyone who likes that game enough to play it till lvl 50 will even go above 90 in the new Tribes...
... even with a rocket jump

Strife

Sorry for a bump but I love how 'level 50 Global Agenda players' are the first ones to test this in alpha and beta... I mean... we are all here, some of us Tribes vets, rest of us skilled FPS+Z maniacs doing amazing things with OD and fragjumps and the next Tribes game will be tested out by... MMORPG players? Seriously? I've played GA: it requires as much FPS skills as pacman does and I don't think that anyone who likes that game enough to play it till lvl 50 will even go above 90 in the new Tribes...

Firstly, from an objective point of view, it would make more sense to allow players that they know (empirically) will reliably invest time in to an MMO. Additionally, the Global Agenda community is very vocal in their concerns and feedback (even a cursory glance at the GA forums will make this obvious), so they know they'll have real feedback from MMO players. I'm sure they would like to reward the players who have stuck with them through everything, as well.

Did you play GA competitively? I did. It may not require the same individual... "skills" as games like Legions, but it should go without saying that different games often have different skill sets. Yes, team play is an important factor in both the Tribes series and games similar to Global Agenda (e.g., Team Fortress 2) but beyond that (metagame) they are very different. Leveling to 50 was not difficult either, I have two characters at 50 and one at 45 or so, and I leveled the last 2 casually through PvP with friends. If you do not enjoy the MMO* genres you should avoid them. Raging about/at HiRez while saying things like "I'm a tribes vet" outside of these forums will produce nothing but a worse reputation for the Tribes community in general, and probably get you ignored.

Chi-Ro

Private Tester
Sorry for a bump but I love how 'level 50 Global Agenda players' are the first ones to test this in alpha and beta...

Unless something changed from the original post months ago, that's not the case. level 50 global agenda players will have "priority" or something closer to that line. It wasn't an absolute at all. As I had at least 5 friends buy global agenda and level to 50 within a month or two of that announcement, I have to say they did well with that call. Not only are they getting feedback from people who already know how they operate, they made more money on GA while they were at it.

I don't think it's really that unreasonable. Also, as far as I know, the only reason they're using the Tribes IP is something to do with the huge maps. I don't really think they're trying to make another necro-tribes game, so much as they want to make something new and the tribes IP happens to fit in nicely with their plan.

OmniNept

Actionaut
Fixious said:

IMO, third-person perspective has no place in shooters: its presence obviates both spatial awareness and rapid reaction times. And no, I don't believe vehicles are an exception.

Third-person perspective is a crutch.

Also, sprinting isn't necessarily useless in Tribes-type games. A little extra ground evasion won't hurt anyone . . . save perhaps those players unable to hit moving targets. Suppose it'll depend on the speed increase brought by sprinting.

Lepidopterist said:
I was more interested in Firefall, to be honest. When someone tries to reboot a series, why do they always have to change it up so much? There's a reason it was so popular.

While I'm also more interested in Firefall, I find your following sentence naive. Firstly, Tribes was never "so popular" with respect to today's Triple A Title numbers. In today's "gaming environment", Tribes simply wouldn't sell; or at least developers and publishers don't believe it would sell (and I'm inclined to agree), which is really all that matters. Like it or not, game developers aren't interested in faithfully recreating your teen thrills.

No, today's gaming environment consists of cheap, easy thrills: leveling up, aim-assisted headshots, flashy graphics, pseudo-rankings, and every other means through which unaccomplished gamers can feel as though they're king *chocolate cookies*. And, to be honest, it'd be foolish for developers to ignore that market segment, since it is the majority.

To be trite, times change - as do target populations. There's a reason reboots change things up.

Propkid

No, today's gaming environment consists of cheap, easy thrills: leveling up, aim-assisted headshots, flashy graphics, pseudo-rankings, and every other means through which unaccomplished gamers can feel as though they're king *chocolate cookies*. And, to be honest, it'd be foolish for developers to ignore that market segment, since it is the majority.
So true, though we have to remember that the developers are also responsible for the way that the player demographic forms. I can't point to when did this 'era' start, but I would agree that each new game released by Blizzard (besides SC) can be considered a milestone in this change.
/off topic