New player, got a question

JackDandy

Hey, me and a couple other guys have started playing this due to Tribes Ascend going to *chocolate cookies*.

Awesome game so far.

I was wondering, is there a way to put in custom MP3 to play during the matches? Or better yet, to have specific custom tunes play when you grab the flag?

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
First off, welcome!

I believe you can change the wind file to play music during the matches, and you can change the flag grab sound to whatever you desire.

JackDandy

Ah, I meant something like in Tribes Ascend, where the music changes the second you grab the flag, and until you bring it back to your flag. Do you think that's a possibility?

And as for the file replacement option- what exactly do you need to do to make it work? Just replace the file with whatever you want and give it an identical filename, deleting the older one?
Also, does it have to be OGG, or mpeg 2? Can I just replace it with an MP3?

EDIT: I just checked, replacing the file didn't seem to work.. What did I do wrong?

Last edited:

Royalty

The Aussie
Ah, I meant something like in Tribes Ascend, where the music changes the second you grab the flag, and until you bring it back to your flag. Do you think that's a possibility?

And as for the file replacement option- what exactly do you need to do to make it work? Just replace the file with whatever you want and give it an identical filename, deleting the older one?
Also, does it have to be OGG, or mpeg 2? Can I just replace it with an MP3?

EDIT: I just checked, replacing the file didn't seem to work.. What did I do wrong?
The file extension had to be the same as the original.

Also, T:A seems to be dying just as quickly as Legions.
The only factor that separates the two is the Legions has a clear future in 'Project Z', whilst Tribes has no definitive future plans.

Poponfu

Lead Developer
You must be that passworded mystery full server that keeps poping up :D

Legions client side scripting is pretty extensive in what you can do.. this could be done as a mod. It doesn't exist now though no. If I were going to ghetto it for something on my own I would..

start in client\scripts\message.cs

find function handleMsgCtfFlagGrab (etc..)

Then check if its you who grabbed it and play a sound which can be a whole song , check other client places where clientside sounds are called(sfxplayonce).

edit: nevermind just use RR's linked above , its much neater.

Last edited:

JackDandy

Yeah, that's me and the guys Popun. :)

Anyway, thanks for the answers, but:

1. As I said, despite the fact I replaced Wind_Loop with another OGG song file, and named it Wind_Loop- it didn't play in-game. The original file was in OGG too. Was I doing something wrong?

2. I'll be blunt- I don't know *chocolate cookies* about modding. I know some of you guys are still actively working on the game. Will it be possible for you to make a music mod that:
a) Allows for in-game music (if possible, a bunch of files, and if one music file ends, the next one in the list plays, and so on, until the final one in the list. In which it goes back to the beginning)
b) Flag grabbing music (Random music that plays during flag holds, chosen from a playlist provided by the player)?

Fixious

Test Lead
I don't think the wind file is actually used in-game anymore, so I'm not surprised changing it didn't work.

I know Tribes 2 (and even T1) had the ability to play music in-game. Maybe Defender could get the T2 script working for Legions.

Defender

I can't client-side script, never could get in to it..
Me just server-side mod, check out my Warped Mod, server..

57thEnryu

Yeah, that's me and the guys Popun. :)

Anyway, thanks for the answers, but:

1. As I said, despite the fact I replaced Wind_Loop with another OGG song file, and named it Wind_Loop- it didn't play in-game. The original file was in OGG too. Was I doing something wrong?

2. I'll be blunt- I don't know *chocolate cookies* about modding. I know some of you guys are still actively working on the game. Will it be possible for you to make a music mod that:
a) Allows for in-game music (if possible, a bunch of files, and if one music file ends, the next one in the list plays, and so on, until the final one in the list. In which it goes back to the beginning)
b) Flag grabbing music (Random music that plays during flag holds, chosen from a playlist provided by the player)?
did u make the replacment file read only? otherwise program will write over to original