New Computer

Dacil

sorry but your setup of $980 is total overkill to me (edit: but its also been awhile since I've even looked at computer parts, so maybe price went up?), but i guess that's coming from a casual gamer, hardcore visual designer/has huge software, not a hardcore gamer...built mine for a little over 600 about two years ago and all that needs upgrading now is the RAM....keep in mind dob that you don't need a huge HD over 500GB, because you can always get a reliable external HD like I have....I have tons and tons of photoshop, illustrator, maya, and image files on top of my games and everything else and my HD is still only about 3/4 full

JF_097

sorry but your setup of $980 is total overkill to me (edit: but its also been awhile since I've even looked at computer parts, so maybe price went up?), but i guess that's coming from a casual gamer, hardcore visual designer/has huge software, not a hardcore gamer...built mine for a little over 600 about two years ago and all that needs upgrading now is the RAM....keep in mind dob that you don't need a huge HD over 500GB, because you can always get a reliable external HD like I have....I have tons and tons of photoshop, illustrator, maya, and image files on top of my games and everything else and my HD is still only about 3/4 full

Only $600 you say? Hmm, AMD build I guess. Well, I'm not sure how many files Dob has or will have. He might have tons of movies, thousands of songs, or over 9000 photos (c wut i did thar). So for now, 1TB. :)

Dacil

Why has no one else mentioned AMD as a viable processor? Y the i5? AMD has several quad models so is the i5 better cause I plan on building a computer because mine is becoming obsolete.
i think the quad models are better than (b/c price)/equal to i3 but not i5....been awhile since i thought about this stuff lol

edit: and did you think about just getting upgrades instead of a whole new one?

DKnight556

i think the quad models are better than (b/c price)/equal to i3 but not i5....been awhile since i thought about this stuff lol

edit: and did you think about just getting upgrades instead of a whole new one?
They are both quads so is the difference the clock speeds?

JF_097

Why has no one else mentioned AMD as a viable processor? Y the i5? AMD has several quad models so is the i5 better cause I plan on building a computer because mine is becoming obsolete.
In some benchmarks, A Core i3 (Sandy Bridge) outperforms a Phenom II X4. I dunno why, I've always thought physical cores will always be better than hyperthreaded ones.