Nerds rejoice! Math thread.

RiPTaCk

Three friends have a nice meal together, and the bill is $25

The three friends pay $10 each, which the waiter gives to the Cashier

The Cashier hands back $5 to the Waiter

But the Waiter can't split $5 three ways, so he gives the friends one dollar each and keeps 2 dollars as a tip.

They all paid $10 and got $1 back. $10-$1 = $9

There were three of them 3 X $9 = $27

If they paid $27 and the waiter kept $2: $27-$2=$25 (They paid 27$ and gave the waiter 2$)

Where did the other dollar go?

Synista

images

I had that saved on my documents :D and It's not exactly the same as his ;)

There are bazillions of those and I can never remember them fully so I just googled one :]

Three friends have a nice meal together, and the bill is $25

The three friends pay $10 each, which the waiter gives to the Cashier

The Cashier hands back $5 to the Waiter

But the Waiter can't split $5 three ways, so he gives the friends one dollar each and keeps 2 dollars as a tip.

If they paid $27 and the waiter kept $2: $27+$2=$29

Where did the other dollar go?

here is your answer
that means 25$+1$+1$+1$=28$+2$=30$
the dolar hasn't gone any where it was split between the friends

If they paid $27 and the waiter kept $2: $27+$2=$29

Astrum

Super Special R&D
This question is silly on so many levels. It's not even a math question but a multi-disciplinary question dealing with math, statistics, physics, atmospheric sciences, geology, biology, and many others. So the entire premise is bogus, and here's why.

First there are no air "molecules" as air is a homogenous mixture. That right there makes the question asinine. However, even if we were to ask how many moles of air are shared it would still be impossible to give a definitive answer due to gaseous diffusion, photosynthesis, sequestration, atmospheric escape, atmospheric strata and flows. The best we could hope for was a statistical curve, but even that wouldn't be good enough since the atmosphere changes in composition, density, and volume in both local and global contexts.

"There are no stupid question" is the worst saying ever. This is a textbook example of a stupid question.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Noticed multiple, er, math question threads. So, combined them both into the ultimate 'Math Question' thread!

Let your inner math nerd shine!

Lanthus

48/2(9+3)

The answer depends on if you strictly follow the order of operations or if you take the 2(9+3) as an implied multiplication.

As it is, I interpret it as (48/2)(9+3). Following the order of operations, the answer is 288.

However, if you had something like 48/2x, most people would assume it's meant as 48/(2x). Here, of course, x = 9+3. If you take 2(9+3) as an implied multiplication then that multiplication can be seen as having higher precedence than normal multiplication and the answer is 2.

Based strictly on the order of operations, 288 is right. And if 2(9+3) were meant to be the divisor, then it should be written in fraction form or by using appropriate parentheses to avoid ambiguity. The rules for implied multiplications are inconsistent.

Following the order of operations:

1. Bracketed items first.
48/2(12)

2. Multiply/Divide left to right:
a. 24(12)
b. 288

Google calculates it like I do.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=48/2(9+3)