Need help solving my hardware issues

It crashes on both XP and win 7

clean install (with latest chipset/mobo driver and bios)

i7 920
5870 powercolor pcs+
6 gig of ram

Ive tried everything, I know its pointing to my hardware if Im having the same problem on multiple OS but no other games have a problem even at highest settings!

this is *danced*.

if no one has another suggestion It really is time for me to retire from all this wasted time and frustration?

Mabeline

God-Tier
If your machine crashes/bluescreens, it is a hardware or driver issue. Period. It can not possibly be the game. This is the basis of modern computing. If it's only the game crashing we can actually do something but otherwise I grow very tired of you repeatedly asserting that the game is breaking your computer. The game is not breaking your computer, your computer is broken.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Upgrade (or, hell, even downgrade) your graphics card. From what I'm understanding, that's almost certainly the problem, and if the latest drivers aren't fixing the issue... ouch.

GReaper

Grumpy
Try disabling hardware you don't necessarily need (sound card) to see if they cause issues, disable any additional hardware which you're unlikely to use in the BIOS as well. Try fiddling around with various BIOS settings if you can figure out what you're looking for, they can make quite a difference.

Use some analysis tools to figure out the health of your machine as well. Check your CPU and graphics card temperatures, have the graphics card fan on full power, etc. Try replacing your graphics card with something else just to see if that makes a difference.

The game should not crash your machine, if that was the case then you should be yelling at Microsoft for allowing an application to cause system instability. Having "AMD driver stopped responding but has now recovered error" (as posted in another thread) is an indicator of either driver or hardware problems.

You need to be able to figure out how to analyse the system issues instead of reinstalling different drivers. Sometimes changing drivers can solve an issue, but seriously - if they all have issues then look at the common problem you've got.

If your machine crashes/bluescreens, it is a hardware or driver issue. Period. It can not possibly be the game. This is the basis of modern computing. If it's only the game crashing we can actually do something but otherwise I grow very tired of you repeatedly asserting that the game is breaking your computer. The game is not breaking your computer, your computer is broken.
Im not saying its legions fault Mabel, I can see that I am the only one with the issue so its to do with something in my tech ecosystem obviously but Ive done everything I can think of short of buying a new video card (which works for everything else including my hackintosh). I at least need to diagnose it IS my video card first, need to find someone with a spare....

I will look into your suggestion Greaper not that I know how to turn stuff on and off yet :) can u direct me to some info material as I know nothing about windows really?

something new happened, it got to the proper kernel blue screen with 'Attemp to reset display driver and recover from timeout failed' etc is the info on this screen useful in anyway?

Prometheus

something new happened, it got to the proper kernel blue screen with 'Attemp to reset display driver and recover from timeout failed' etc is the info on this screen useful in anyway?

Yes, it points squarely to the video subsystem. If you have the latest video card drivers installed, then almost certainly this is a hardware error. Looks like the OS told the video card to do something, and then the video card hung, never replying. That's not good. :(

Looks like it is high time I emailed the powercolor manufacturers, After a little bit of searching I found some others with the same issue that most put down to memory issues with the card. Funny that I never have a problem with any thing other than legions with the card.

Prometheus

Wish I were surprised. Memory timings are so tight these days that the slightest mis-step by any of those memory chips will make the whole card lock up. Quite possibly a replacement card of the same time could work flawlessly, and it's not necessarily a problem with the design of the card. I mean, if you had a very nicely-designed ferrari sports car, and a simple radiator hose broke, the car won't run. That doesn't mean ferraris suck; it just means yours was broken. :)

Also, it's not weird that only Legions uncovered the problem. Hardware problems are frequently inconsistent like that, and as a rule of thumb, if a problem is sporadic/random, then it's a hardware problem until proven otherwise.

Ok thanks Prom, Hopefully Powercolor come to the party and just give me another 5870 asap. Oh the irony that OSX that is not meant to run on my hardware but has no problem with it and windoze fails yet again.