Mortar should be a mortar

Immanent

This is not another whiney bullcrap thread about what we think is wrong with it. This is merely an alternative to end the breaking of this game.

Definition so were are all clear about what I'm talking about:
a cannon very short in proportion to its bore, for throwing shells at high angles (dictionary.com)

*emphasis on cannon.

1. The new mortar should not have a mine feature.
2. As the original intention for a mortar, it should be used for blowing people up and stuff midfield and what not. (so fire a cannon in the middle of the map and blow up and shift the target wayy off course.)
3. It should/will not be used in a base, ruling out Tk and whatnot (how to implement?)
4. Change the damage/radius of damage to X% on Outriders and knockback of X meters to the devs whims.
5. Ballistic trajectory like the GL/pre-existing mortar (duh!)
6. Mounted turret sort of thing in the base, so no chase down bullshit.
7. Angle of fire I imagined it to be would be 10-65 degrees

*in regards to 3, make the mortar weapon only available as a turret or something like that, so not everybody can shoot it at the flagstand.

Thoughts? Feel free to add suggestions and what not.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
High angle fired weapons only work if there's some sort of target on the ground where the projectile will land. Unfortunately, that's difficult to do when playing on a game that's 3D. Not impossible, but difficult...

Immanent

High angle fired weapons only work if there's some sort of target on the ground where the projectile will land. Unfortunately, that's difficult to do when playing on a game that's 3D. Not impossible, but difficult...
Well maybe not insanely high trajectory (cough 65 degrees). That would be kind of difficult to even see where you are aiming mid field. I was imagining how some people manage to get mid-field mortar flag carrier kills on FB and nivo.
So sentinels will now only have 2 weapons?
Old cluster? Or new weps, meh.

Immanent

Then how high are you thinking?
You know how the grenade launchers and mortars are mounted onto a legionnaire?
So I was thinking something more along the lines of a a turretish/mounted weapon that has a moveable feature that can only shoot within a 20 degree to 65 degree arc (numbers are just there for a guesstimate).

yami

Private Tester
So as a heavy one would be expected to ski after an opponent (using WASD, L-shift, RMB, and space) and look where I'm going (using the mouse) and shoot (using LMB). With which hand am I supposed to control this mounted turret?

Immanent

So as a heavy one would be expected to ski after an opponent (using WASD, L-shift, RMB, and space) and look where I'm going (using the mouse) and shoot (using LMB). With which hand am I supposed to control this mounted turret?
The turret is in the base.

Updated the main post.

yami

Private Tester
So now we're not only talking base assets, we are talking about ones where a player (presumably) needs to sit in it and control it. This is the how you want to fix the mortar? I'll take 5 of whatever you are having

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Yeah, I don't like this idea, Immanent. If you don't want to get killed midfield or Mortared on the flag stand, you should move faster, right? Think about changing your tactics to react to new situations, rather than clamoring about changing the conditions to suit your tactics.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
There's been a crowd that's hated the mortar from the start. I don't blame them because it can be spammy, but I've never had a real problem with it. Of course, if I get teamkilled, I just press cty cty and am done with it. I don't hold it against the person. I know the mortar has a radius of like 30m and I would have difficulty not killing allies as well, so I don't really mind. Now, if someone deliberately starts TKing me or oSnipes me, that does get on my nerves. Mortars on the other hand, not so much.

I think that there are potentially other weapons that could go into this game, but a "true mortar" as he has described, I don't believe is one of them.

Armageddon

Teapot
1. The new mortar should not have a mine feature.
2. As the original intention for a mortar, it should be used for blowing people up and stuff midfield and what not. (so fire a cannon in the middle of the map and blow up and shift the target wayy off course.)
3. It should/will not be used in a base, ruling out Tk and whatnot (how to implement?)
4. Change the damage/radius of damage to X% on Outriders and knockback of X meters to the devs whims.
5. Ballistic trajectory like the GL/pre-existing mortar (duh!)
6. Mounted turret sort of thing in the base, so no chase down bullshit.
7. Angle of fire I imagined it to be would be 10-65 degrees

1. It most likely won't have a mine feature.
2. The original intent for the mortar is what it is right now, a powerful death lobbing cannon.
3. If we put a safety on the weapon to where it can't be fired in a base then how is a player on defense suppost to make shots out at midfield? Points 2-3 cancel eachother out.
Plus a player in midfield would still be able to fire the mortar at the base, trying to limit any weapon to one area or another on a map is pointless since there is always a way to get around any sort of area checking code.
4. The damage and kick back are pretty fair as is, once the shield core comes a long the mortar will be less effective.
5. Already has this, mild but it's there.
6. No, mounted anything would be a waste of time in legions. Non-moving targets are sitting ducks.
7. With a new angle (Muzzle Rotation) and trajectory the weapon would pointless, legions is about freedom of movement and that also carries into the items in game. Freedom to use the provided items anyway you can.

Defender

For my legions mod, I plan to reduce the mortar projectiles velocity and range. I will also increase its arming Delay time, and reduce its damage area. To make this all work in my mod, All player movement, jetting, skiing, speeds will be slower.
Legions seems way to fast right now to Me. Players wiz across the map at speeds that are to fast. I think this creates a bit of server lag. In tribes2, I remember fast mods and weapons being much more laggy.
I am also going to go back to the basics in my mod. No 15+ Armour types like we have now.
Light, Medium, Heavy..