Mines and turrets and their impact on the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtreme

shaska's bff
I gave this some thought.

You said mines and turrets will be tested and added to the game if they work. Have you thought about the fact that most cap routes (especially on the small maps) involve OD maneuvers that don't give the player a chance to shoot at the flag so as to clear the mines (because that was the major argument against me, and I was mocked for lacking the skill to clear out the mines). And so adding mines to the game would ruin the essence of overdrive.

At least that's what I think. Am I wrong?

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
No, I totally agree. Adding mines will ruin the pure 'skill' it takes to get good at legions, since it doesn't take skill to place a mine in a well known OD spot or something like that.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Yes, you are wrong. A) You can (and should) shoot the stand before activating OD anyways. B) If you can't, have your LO do it. They should already be getting rid of the HoF for you, so shooting potential mines on the stand wouldn't be that much extra effort. Also, this encourages teamplay, which is always a good thing. Additionaly, Leejunz has a problem with offense being too easy anyways, especially because of OD. Working on that problem is surely not a bad thing.

Xtreme

shaska's bff
Yes, you are wrong. A) You can (and should) shoot the stand before activating OD anyways. B) If you can't, have your LO do it. They should already be getting rid of the HoF for you, so shooting potential mines on the stand wouldn't be that much extra effort. Also, this encourages teamplay, which is always a good thing. Additionaly, Leejunz has a problem with offense being too easy anyways, especially because of OD. Working on that problem is surely not a bad thing.

I doubt mines will cover the gap between offense and defense. They will just ruin the flow of the game and push people towards rage quits.

You don't always OD on the flag stand..

On Nivosus, Moonshine and Frostbyte, it's almost everytime you go for the flag.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
Also, Gheist, if your playing a Pub, I don't know if you have realised or not, but the people in there aren't always the most co-operative people.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Also, Gheist, if your playing a Pub, I don't know if you have realised or not, but the people in there aren't always the most co-operative people.
Very true Dabbleh. But you can't design a teamplay based game around uncooperative players that don't care about working together. ;)

In the end you'll have to realize one thing: Leejunz will change, and there will be tests. Way too many people got too used to a game that shouldn't even have been released in the state it was in (XtremeSpeed above being a perfect example). Keep an open mind, look forward to improving the game that we are playing, and stop demonizing theoretical changes that you have not experienced in game yet. So far, there is nothing substantial to talk about. Save your breath for when it matters. ;)

snob

I doubt mines will cover the gap between offense and defense. They will just ruin the flow of the game and push people towards rage quits.

It would be the same scenario for when shooting grenade clusters on the stand, and direct grenade clusters had the potential to do up to 80 dmg (or so I remember from deadguy's old forum post), so that entire point is moot.

My guess is the turrets's place in legions is going to come down to how effective it is and the repercussions. I'd like to see how turrets affect CTF play in nivosus, since it hosts the smallest bases in legions.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I've always said I've been fine with mines so long as there is a set distance between them and the flag...

In regards to turrets...
Autoturrets: I'm fine with so long as they obey the above rule.
Manned Turrets: I prefer Tethers.

Alright. I honestly think that mines would work, only if they weren't to detenate when you stand on them. Instead, there would be a laser pointing upward to the sky from the mine, and when you pass through that laser, the mine itself will explode, inflicting damage upon you from the laser. People could see the lasers from the mines from far away, but then what's the point to having mines in the first place? These mines would attatch to the side of things to place a wall of lasers that would detonate when you pass through them.

To have mines, would be to have close-quarter maps or to only set them up as a trap or defensive strategies.

And also, for OD, players who use OD to cap will have a clear sight on the lasers that are produced from the mines. It would totally balance out.

Application-1

test bester
Ugh play tribes, the concept works you guys just never tested it out it can differ a bit from the tribes versions but yeah it is a different game.
Also why do we bash something that we have not tested for ourself out yet?
All of this is speculation it will never be more then that.

Mhi200

It would be the same scenario for when shooting grenade clusters on the stand, and direct grenade clusters had the potential to do up to 80 dmg (or so I remember from deadguy's old forum post), so that entire point is moot.
I'm pretty sure I've scored 100 damage with a cluster.

Fixious

Test Lead
Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

Mabeline

God-Tier
I find it entertaining this post full of speculation is about a post of mine that says we need to test things rather than speculate.

It is very important to realize that you can really only think about something so much. You need to actually test gameplay changes to understand their effects. While we can sit around all day and talk about what we think the impact of turrets and mines and such on the game, but at some point it's silly. We have playtesters, if something is game breaking like you think mines might be, it won't be put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.