Mid-airs of grenade launchers and clusters in public test servers.

PierceHardwood

In the public test servers, the raider's grenade launcher can mid-air an opponent from any distance; however, the cluster-grenade load-out's grenades, if too close, bounce off of combatants and limply fall straight to the ground.

Is this intentional or no?

It's only an issue because while the raider's grenade launcher in the test servers is excellent for chasing, it's less wieldy for dueling than the original grenades—whose distance specifications have been ported over to the cluster weapon. Will duelists who prefer the older grenades have to sacrifice close-distance mid-airs with the grenade launcher come implementation-time of new weapons?

Synista

Grenade - Yes, the grenade has been touched, but in a good way. Given a deeper arch, a slightly faster reload, and a further range, this grenade won't fizzle at long shots. With a bit of extra bounce it now claims it's victims around corners and over hilltops that, until now, have always been safe.

Cluster - Now that the Sentinel has claimed the green death, the cluster has been moved to Raider only. This slower ballistic does not have the range that the normal grenade now has, but it bounces much less and can be armed for a period of time before manually detonating it. If detonated it will release fewer bomblettes than the classic did, but it still packs quite a wallop. If it is not manually detonated the GLII will explode on impact sooner than the normal grenade, but delivers a bit less damage as a result.

PierceHardwood

Grenade - Yes, the grenade...

That doesn't at all answer my question—in fact it doesn't mention mid-airs. If I'm missing the point, could you please highlight the specific trying you're trying to point out to me?

Why specifically would the GLII not have close MA capabilities when the other would? Does this break anything?

Seems like GL is made for chasing, and GLII is made for close-dueling... so why would the impossibility of close mid-airs be intentionally implemented in the weapon where mid-airs are ideal?

Synista

GLII has less bounce than the GL, I don't know why they'd make them have different bounces maybe it's just as you said about GL for chasing and GLII for close combat. and also GL has a faster firing rate.

anak

VIP
it's not design. the cluster is supposed to explode on impact. lag causes it to appear to bounce off your target, when you actually missed it according to the server (and according to other people - i've asked.)

PierceHardwood

it's not design. the cluster is supposed to explode on impact. lag causes it to appear to bounce off your target, when you actually missed it according to the server (and according to other people - i've asked.)

Thanks, Anak. We tested in the server during clan TDM practice, GL MAd my opponent, GLII literally stopped as though it was armed for detonation, and then fell to the ground.

Immanent

I doubt this is true. I shot a cluster once while chasing in mid-air, it bounced off my target, and killed me. So it could not have been possible that I completely missed my target, or I lagged (10 ping).

anak

VIP
meh, i was told awhile (years) ago that it was lag. might have changed with the netcode, but i can't think of any other reason it would bounce like that.

Propkid

meh, i was told awhile (years) ago that it was lag. might have changed with the netcode, but i can't think of any other reason it would bounce like that.
It has to be bouncing off the enemy, because it falls into my face afterwards and gets me dead. So no lag.

IMO this should be moved to the bug reports section. I'm quite sure that this isn't intentional since the cluster is for some reason the one from old IA times. Few of the old glitches/tricks that were solved are possible again, so someone was lazy and just Ctrl-C Ctrl-V'd the weapon into the game :D

PierceHardwood

It has to be bouncing off the enemy, because it falls into my face afterwards and gets me dead. So no lag.

IMO this should be moved to the bug reports section. I'm quite sure that this isn't intentional since the cluster is for some reason the one from old IA times. Few of the old glitches/tricks that were solved are possible again, so someone was lazy and just Ctrl-C Ctrl-V'd the weapon into the game :D

Thank you. I wasn't sure if this should go into the bug reports section since I wasn't sure if this was intentional or not. Can I go about doing that myself? Or can only a moderator move threads?

As for your second part, I'm not so sure about that. The original GLII had more bounce to make it less wieldy than standard grenades. I remember DeadGuy saying something like the GLII was to take the place of the original GL.

Immanent

Sometimes it bounces off... seems a bit random, but I think it happens the most when the nade is at the top of it's parabola (vertical velocity = ~0)
Nah, although that sounds very plausible, but what I like to think is that there is a second (or slightly more or less) arming time that will then explode on impact. I have hit people who have been far away with my cluster and MA'd them, without the cluster being at the top of it's ballistic curve.

. Can I go about doing that myself? Or can only a moderator move threads?
AFAIK, only forum mods and devs can move threads.

Propkid

Nah, although that sounds very plausible, but what I like to think is that there is a second (or slightly more or less) arming time that will then explode on impact. I have hit people who have been far away with my cluster and MA'd them, without the cluster being at the top of it's ballistic curve.
I've managed to Cluster Midair at 0 metre distance, so your theory isn't true ;/

Right now I think this has something to do with the difference in velocities between the cluster projectile and the enemy player as most of my recent bounced-off clusters happened when me and the opponent were moving away from each other.

Also, one weird thing I've encountered is that I've had a cluster bounce off a base structure, fall to the ground (really short fall) and just lie there smoking, unarmed. After ~2 seconds it just disappeared without any explosion...

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
did you let go of the shoot key before inpact? otherwise It would not detonate unless you tell it too.

I did it before but ill take look see if its still ok.