Meh,Can we play these map?

As the title :p
tongue.png

If we can =D

Daphinicus

Private Tester
... sounds like developing for this engine is a fun time. Godspeed you, devs. Please don't ragequit.

Hug. =)

Once you get used to the editor, it's not too bad; like any game dev pipeline, it's all about being comfortable with the tools and knowing how to sidestep the potholes that can screw you over completely.

Although, darn it, I wish we could use more than four textures on a single terrain. Four textures is freakin' ridiculous.

Well, I always thought the problem was that pretty much all maps have four textures which are completely indistinguishable. It really isn't a good idea to have a brown sand texture mixed with a brown rock texture mixed with a slightly browner sand texture. Not to mention that they seem to be very low-res (128x128?). For a game where you're spending more than half of your time glancing at the terrain, it sure doesn't seem to get the love it deserves...

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Well, I always thought the problem was that pretty much all maps have four textures which are completely indistinguishable. It really isn't a good idea to have a brown sand texture mixed with a brown rock texture mixed with a slightly browner sand texture. Not to mention that they seem to be very low-res (128x128?). For a game where you're spending more than half of your time glancing at the terrain, it sure doesn't seem to get the love it deserves...

Ain't that the truth.

Texturing terrain is tough, because unless you mix similar textures together, the repetition of a single image can become an eyesore. That's why you have similarly-colored textures that you blend between: it helps reduce the number of times you'll look at a piece of terrain and go, "Wow, that's just the same texture repeated over and over again."

Textures are also important, at least in Legions, in defining slopes from above. Shadows are critical for being able to tell one slope from another, but texturing plays almost as vital a role. Add to that the need to just make the map LOOK decent, and all of a sudden those four textures you've got to work with are mighty slim.

And yeah, they ARE painfully low-res, which forces the mapmaker to either keep them small and painfully obviously tiled, or stretch them so you can't see the tiling as much, but everything goes all pixelated and blurry.

So, yeah. Hooray for four textures. =)

Ked24

Haha, so many maps, and so BIG, the only one i wish could be back is forgotten, and that project of Small Step in th moon, looks cool.

Hehe, CYA!

Comashift

you know if the actual maps can't be used, could you at least use the themes for new maps? I sorta miss just how they looked.

Aww man, mirage, best map ever cause of the ramps and underground base, it was pretty fun to play heavy defender cluster spam in there :D