Mac Support?

Hotel Soap

I know there are many players who run on a Mac. I know We just want the game up, but this community is great so, I think we need a section for this to talk and work at porting it over to Mac. I know a couple people who have had expierence with this and maybe i could get something going!

GReaper

Grumpy
Even though we won't be able to provide a Mac build, the game will no longer require a browser plugin - which potentially makes it easier to run under wine.

I'm certainly not guaranteeing that it would work this way, and it certainly wouldn't be the most optimal way of doing it, but I'm just saying that it isn't impossible like it was on InstantAction. It's just a potential solution to something we can't provide for at the moment.

Hotel Soap

"isn't impossible like it was on InstantAction" I played on a mac with instant action. What are you talking about. I ran like 125 fps too? Anyhow I'll be looking into options and studying this up.

*edit* Is it run as a universal binary?

Falcon

Private Tester
I said this yesterday in a different thread, but it seems fitting to post it here;

A possible work-around may be to use Wine/WineBottler. I have only fooled around with these a bit of times, with limited success. However, for Legions, I definitely would be willing to put in some more time to figure it out, and if it is possible. It probably depends exact file Legions: Overdrive will be.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
"isn't impossible like it was on InstantAction" I played on a mac with instant action. What are you talking about. I ran like 125 fps too? Anyhow I'll be looking into options and studying this up.

I believe GReaper was referring to running the old IA Legions under wine.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
For people who ran macs on Instant Action, they had Intel macs. The best thing about intel macs as far as this stuff goes is that you can run both windows and mac OS on the same computer. However, unlike snow leopard, windows 7 is still $120, so for somebody like me, I'd be paying that much to play legions. If I take a compsci class or something like that I can get it from my school for $5 which is a heck of a deal, but that's the best way to circumvent the issue of mac compatibility. As stated in the FAQs, there is no ETA for mac support, so as much as I would like to do this, I'm not going to start bothering until after the second release.

Siantlark

Ech... My Mac is the more highend one but I really don't want to buy Crossover Games just to play Legions.

No offense to any of the devs. Does anyone have any luck getting it to run on Wine?

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
Could try this, marbleduck hasn't responded to question in the thread though.
http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/threads/mac-yes-indeed-through-emulators-and-vms-ofc.730/

For all you Mac users: Legions Overdrive works well under Crossover Games after some tweaking. I will have the instructions up later.

Overdrive works amazing, without tweaking under a Parallels virtual machine. Tested on a Mac Mini 2008, a custom hackintosh, and a 2010 macbook air.

One thing you'll need to install in crossover or your VM is DX9:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

Crossover has this as a built in .c4p/.tie. Look under Runtime Components in the Install Software dialog.

57thRomance

Could try this, marbleduck hasn't responded to question in the thread though.
http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/threads/mac-yes-indeed-through-emulators-and-vms-ofc.730/
L:O for Mac Users (Unofficial workaround)
I posted a full tutorial first, including more info on what exactly to download (you need both Direct X Modern and the .NET Framework), so I doubt he would have much more to add. Plus, Crossover Games went through a lot of updating since then, and it wasn't until I got the latest update around the middle of February that I could get Legions to work. He said he tried it with a "custom hackintosh," so I'm guessing there were mods involved as well.