Mac Support?

Kayar

Hello, I am Kayar, and I used to play Legions. Back before I had an Xbox and all I had for online gaming was Halo Demo Mac and Instantaction.com, Legions was pretty much my favorite fast-paced shooter. I had a ton of fun on it, and would love to start playing again.

Years ago, before instantaction went down, I actually stopped playing Legions. I assumed this would be a permanent end to my speedy mech-fragging fun. I had an Xbox 360, and the FPSes on the Xbox are all anyone ever plays anyway, right?

Wrong. Dead wrong. Wrong, wrong, stupid, stupid, wrong, wrong, no no no. I found Xbox Live to be even more filled with immature underage idiots and noobtubers than I had expected. Looking back, I realize I had unfortunately high expectations. Perhaps this was because I had grown up on Nintendo consoles and Mac games, few that they are. If anyone here knows of Ambrosia Software, my real first online multiplayer experience was with their old game Avara, when the community consisted of maybe 16 players total and the game was far past the end of its lifespan. Fortunately, I had my friends who had years of Xbox experience on me, and to Microsoft's credit I certainly by no means have given up on Xbox Live, not at all, I just play with everyone muted or always in a party.

This is all besides the point, however. I'm beating around the bush so much the bush is three miles in that direction, so it's time I hiked back over there. The point is, Legions was awesome. I greatly enjoyed it. And, since it was browser-based, for once it didn't matter that I owned a Mac and that barely anyone ever develops games for the Mac. So, years later, I check back and find out that in my absence, instantaction no longer exists, and I find out about Overdrive. And then I find out that it only supports Windows. So, here I am. I'm sure it's very possible this has already been addressed in a previous thread, but it's 12:30 AM here and I'm not going searching through this forum to see what the response was. I would suggest a FAQ, with this question somewhere in it, to make things simple. That is, unless I missed that too.

Anyhow, what I want to know is: Will Legions see a Mac release/port? And before everyone asks, no, I am not buying a PC gaming rig. You cannot convince me, with no amount of touting the PC and the price tag and etc. will you ever convince me. I don't want to get into a Mac vs. PC here, believe me I have seen far too much of that and I hate those arguments because they never go anywhere and I really just don't care enough. I have nothing major against PCs aside from the fact that I'd rather use a Mac, end of story.

Thanks in advance for your responses,
-Kayar

Edit:

Erm, hang on... Embarrassing to say this, but I actually just found and scanned the FAQ and came across the statement about Mac support. Very sorry for posting this here pointlessly, my question is answered. I suppose this could be left here as a dedication to the development team: Thank you for your hard work and I look forward to the possibility of a Mac release in the future.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
Don't know why you'd rather use a frigging Mac when all the games are on PC? Sigh. *patpat*

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Anyhow, what I want to know is: Will Legions see a Mac release/port? And before everyone asks, no, I am not buying a PC gaming rig. You cannot convince me, with no amount of touting the PC and the price tag and etc. will you ever convince me.

Well, Macs are simply super - the software and all the interlinking between all the apple products. There are only three things stopping me from getting one:

- Lack of support for games :'(
- Hardware is generally less powerful than in a custom made PC.
- That custom PC is probably cheaper than the mac too because you are paying simply for the OS and the name. Software and stuff comes seperate at an even higher pricetag.

To bring it to a close, if I had the money, I'd probably be running the two side by side - but the price tag simply makes that impossible.

Anyhow, welcome back! Talk to Romance if you get stuck anywhere on the workaround.

(psst - I am thinking about putting a hackintosh in my custom made machine)

Kayar

@Abandoned: Nice! Thanks! I'll try it out when I get the chance.

@Dabbleh: I grew up on Macs. I like the interface more than Windows, and I also game on consoles much more than on computers.

@Fireblasto: The price tag is going to be a problem for me when this laptop dies and I'm on my own. This was a high school graduation gift from my parents. It runs Minecraft more smoothly than some PCs I've seen my friends use and has 4 GB of ram. Admittedly, they must be using some pretty crappy PCs. I have tried using bootcamp to put Windows on a partition, but it seems there's some issue with the 2009-2010 13-inch MacBook Pros which causes that not to work. That or it's just my laptop. Or the version I tried installing.

I'll try the workaround sometime soon, thanks a lot guys. Here's hoping to be back in the action soon.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I have tried using bootcamp to put Windows on a partition, but it seems there's some issue with the 2009-2010 13-inch MacBook Pros which causes that not to work. That or it's just my laptop. Or the version I tried installing.

To be honest, best way of doing it is installing windows via a linux live usb stick. That way can specifify how big you want the partition and it'll be easier doing it that way.

GReaper

Grumpy
I'll see if I can look into it again sometime after server code is released and once we sort updated binaries for Windows/Linux first.

Last time I looked into it - it worked occasionally, but took several attempts to get past the game crashing on start to actually get into the game. The other issue would be that we need a new patcher to deal with updates.

There's absolutely no ETA on anything, or any guarantee - it's just on the wishlist of things we'd like at some point. If you want to play now then either load up Windows or use some form of Wine to get it running under OS X.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Lol this is about the opposite of my case. I'm thinking about installing lion so I can develop for iOS for my brother's design company (yes, I would be paid).

Anyways, welcome back and get that workaround up and running. That should help

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Hi Kayar,

Firstly, I'm assuming that you have an intel mac, since you could play on instantaction (also, games were platform specific, there were many games that weren't mac-compatible on IA, but that's beside the point.)

Anyways, what I have done to play legions is to set up a bootcamp partition. All you have to pay is the price of the operating system, and make sure you have enough disk space to set up a partition. Also, thy might still have it so that if you're a college student, you can supply your .edu email and get a major discount, I'm not sure if that applies to you, but it worked out in my favor. All you need for the bootcamp thingy to work is the aforementioned disk space and a hard copy of a Mac OS disk (ie: leopard, tiger, or snow leopard) You install the windows after creating the partition (I had some trouble on this front, but if you do decide to do this, feel free to PM me with any questions) and then you open up windows, and insert the macintosh disk to get the drivers installed, and then you're just a few downloads away from playing Legions!

Anyways, that's how I did it, and I think it is better with regards to framerate and such, so that's my two cents on this issue.

57thRomance

Hey there Kayar!

Just letting you know, you can check out my thread Abandoned posted on here and message me for any help on the Crossover Games workaround. Good luck!

-Romance