LTS Mod is now Accepting Beta Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
NWjrd.gif

Beta Application is now Closed

The Fallen Development team has progressed to a point where we are confidant that our code is mostly functional and ready for a closed testing. We are entering alpha testing at this time as well, so as our code is going through the stages of alpha testing, we will be continuing to work on the mod as we evaluate your applications.
Applications should be sent to the email address lts_mod_help@yahoo.com and should contain the following:

1. your Legions username
2. previous experience beta testing/modding/game development
3. if you are a private tester, scripter, or 1k club member for Legions
4. anything else you think may help your case
5. the title should be "[Beta Application]"

Stupid/silly remarks will not improve your chances. We are looking for active members to collect data for us and hunt down bugs and expect a level of confidentiality from our testers regarding the rest of the community as to what is in the mod. We (the LTS Team) will release what we decide to to the Legions community. Also, none of you will receive source code. You will simply receive the compiled version. As such, you will not be able to see the mechanics of the code itself, only the end result. When beta testing, if you find a bug, please attempt to replicate it before posting it. If you are unsuccessful, go ahead, but please make an attempt first. If you can replicate it, be sure that you post how it can be triggered.

This is not some sort of bragging right. This is for a group of dedicated people that want to help us get this released in a stable form in a timely manner.
Once again, do NOT post your applications in this thread. Send them via email to the address above. We will evaluate the applications collectively and determine the number of testers based upon how many qualified applicants apply. There is not a set number. We will allow those we think deserve to help to become beta testers. Shortly after being accepted, you will receive a PM from me leading to a place where you will be able to properly post things about the mod. If you are not accepted, do NOT become angry at us as it is simply disrespectful and bear in mind it would not be difficult for us to make the mod not work for a specific person or group of individuals. ;) We will accept those that we deem deserving. Do not question our judgement as it will be final. After we decide to close applications, we will evaluate the applications and post in this thread and our development journal who has been accepted. If you are not on the list, you will not have been accepted into the beta. If you feel that you would be somehow embarrassed by not being accepted, do not post that you are going to do so in this thread. Simply send your application to the aforementioned email address.

I wish all applicants the best of luck and I look forward to reviewing your applications and working with those that are selected as LTS Beta Testers.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
developers may instead be involved with the alpha that's just starting up. I'll send you a PM later with details because PM's can only have six members :(

Immanent

This is silly. Insanely silly.
No it isn't, I actually think this is the right thing to do. As Volt mentioned before in his previous threads, he experienced bugs that could *dance* up your game. People are willing to accept and deal with that as Beta applicants. Why screw over the whole community when you don't have solutions for your mod, when a few people are picked to be guinea pigs.

This is what I call taking one for the team.

With benefits of course...

Gheist

King of all Goblins
No it isn't, I actually think this is the right thing to do. As Volt mentioned before in his previous threads, he experienced bugs that could *dance* up your game. People are willing to accept and deal with that as Beta applicants. Why screw over the whole community when you don't have solutions for your mod, when a few people are picked to be guinea pigs.

This is what I call taking one for the team.
Testing software before releasing it is fine and necessary, don't get me wrong. Making such a huge deal out of it, have willing testers "apply" for a "precious and prestigious spot" and a "preview" is silly though. That's all. It just shows how perverted the whole concept of testing processes has become by now. I can't even really blame Volt Cruelerz for jumping on the band wagon, he probably doesn't know any better - he's just replicating what he's seeing elsewhere. Nonetheless it's silly. Insanely silly.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Testing software before releasing it is fine and necessary, don't get me wrong. Making such a huge deal out of it, have willing testers "apply" for a "precious and prestigious spot" and a "preview" is silly though. That's all. It just shows how perverted the whole concept of testing processes has become by now. I can't even really blame Volt Cruelerz for jumping on the band wagon, he probably doesn't know any better - he's just replicating what he's seeing elsewhere. Nonetheless it's silly. Insanely silly.

:( I wouldn't perform this under ordinary circumstances. The mod as I had originally intended would have been far less complex, but features kept getting added, and now we have the most elaborate mod for legions yet. It also has the potential to screw up your game given the sheer number of recursive loops we had to put in because for-loops don't work while the game is running. Something goes wrong in there and it will crash your game. We're trying to hunt down bugs and a larger number of people makes this easier. I never said "precious and prestigious spot" or "preview." Neither of those are the point. I don't care about that. We're trying to hunt down bugs to prevent problems for the general community when it's downloaded. I don't see how that's that much of a problem. Instead of what you seem to think I meant or said, I said the following:

This is not some sort of bragging right. This is for a group of dedicated people that want to help us get this released in a stable form in a timely manner.

Now is the whole thing a bit over-the-top for a mod? Possibly, but this is the most complex mod to legions yet and if something goes wrong, it will crash your game and wipe the data it has stored about you, two things that users will hate. We are looking for people who know what they're getting into with the potential bugginess. That's all. I'm not trying to jump on the bandwagon here. Testing code takes time, though it takes less time with a large number of people. We would like to release this by the end of the year if we can, and we want to make sure it works. This isn't about drumming up support. This is about fixing code. I'm sorry you don't see it that way, but in all reality it is. EDIT: the formatting on this post went wonky. Sorry about that :(

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Well, so far, we've received six applications. Any further applications, please contain [Beta Application] as the title for our convenience.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
lol thanks :)

For some reason, your pictures are making me want to turn Legions into an RTS at some point :p

Back on subject, we are still accepting applications and even those that are not in one of the aforementioned groups could potentially get on due to activity. Above all else, we need active testers. Otherwise, they won't be much help ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.