Legions Live feedback! 3/30/11 Show

Kryst

Private Tester
For those who were watching/listening to the sexy voices of APC and Discord as Legions live interviewed Bugspray, what did you think of the leeeeks?

How do you feel about the direction of where Legions is headed?
How do you feel about having base assets, turrets, cores?
Does it feel too Tribes-ish?
Do you like the potential slow down of the game? Or do you like the hectic-ness Legions has now?

Create and add your own questions! These are just a few to get a conversation started! I didn't get to hear as much feedback or questions as I was hoping during the show, but now you all have had some time to think about it! Ask before next weeks show so maybe some important questions can be addressed.

For those who were unable to make it to the cast, it can be found Here!

Fixious

Test Lead
My input shouldn't be valued that much since I don't play the game a whole lot(though I've been playing quite a bit these past few days). That said...

Direction the game is heading:

It's definitely going the Tribes route, which I couldn't agree more with. Inventory stations, cores(packs), turrets, base assets. I like it.

Base assets, turrets and cores:

Again, Tribes, so I like it. However when Tribes first shipped I don't think there was a limit where you could place turrets. So you could place them in the enemy base and have them automatically fire at spawn points, which is bad. I think they should basically split the map into two halves when it comes to turrets. Team A can place them on their half, Team B can place them on theirs. Can't say I'm huge fan of pre-determined turret placement/building though, but maybe I misunderstood Bugs.
Cores are good. Everyone already knows what I want and my thoughts on them, but I'm pretty against teleport cores. Just sounds too easily exploitable, but I'll save my final judgement when it comes to public testing. I also seem to remember hearing about cloaking cores, which I'm also not so sure about.

Another thing to think about is inventory station traffic. Anyone who still plays Tribes, specifically base, knows how annoying it can be to wait for each person to get done with the invo. If that becomes a problem in Legions I'd recommend taking the Annihlation mod route. Basically, if you're near a station you'll automatically get uplinked to it. You'll receive a message saying you're connected and can press I(or whatever you have mapped) to access the inventory station. Allowing us to set favorites would also be nice, but I have a feeling custom loadouts will essentially replace that.

Armageddon

Teapot
I think it's a good move, it will attract more players hopefully.

I wish they would have been made sooner back when IA had the game, Now once they are added everyone will have to learn to adapt and change the way they play a bit. Which is good for new people also, The vets will be learning at the same time the new guys will.

In a way yes, but it's the "Tribes sucsessor" so it seems only logical and ok to me at least.

Do you like the potential slow down of the game? Or do you like the hectic-ness Legions has now?
A slightly slower pace wouldn't hurt but i hope the speed isn't going to get too nerfed, Grabbing a flag at 200+ is exciting.

By-Tor

Private Tester
I didn't get a chance to listen to the broadcast last night. We were scrimming ET. GG's btw! But here's my 2 cents about some of this stuff.
I like the concepts of Inventory Stations, deployable and turrets, packs or 'cores' for repair, energy, jammer and shield.

Inventories: I think the Inventories could easily be made such that anyone walking within a radius of it can make use of it. That would better fit the quick model of Legions.

Cores: I can do without cloak. Never liked dying instantly without ever seeing your enemy. I like the idea of a T:V style repair pack(core), that repairs anything within a certain radius of the wearer. This again is more appropriate to the faster Legions play. Shield was always a nice option for the HoF and even some MedO gen killers. For those that aren't Tribes Vets, the Energy pack was always a huge bonus for any player. Any other pack had much less manuverability(sp?). So the current 'spawn' setup for Legions might need to be nurfed abit, so that Energy cores would bring you up to what we are used to?

Turrets: I'd much rather have the option of deploying turrets either on land or on buildings (same turret for both, unlike T2 would be nice). This brings a whole level of customization to the defense. Instead of static turret placement that everyone can learn to spam. Once again, this makes more sense for Legions' more kinetic style of play.
What type of projectiles? Maybe make that an option, either chain or plasma? Another aspect of deploying turrets, I think it would be wise to have it so that when you go to inventory station and select 'Turret', you get 3 turrets, not just one. This will make it quicker and will make deploying much more enjoyable. And of course have a maximum possible of like 6? This kindof creates a position on the field that alot of players like. Deployer/Repair Dude. But, since it's quick, you won't necessarily be stuck in that role. In fact, anyone can help out.

Assets: What other assets were discussed? Generators? Sensors?

Synista

As long as it's moving forward, I'm happy.

Cores <3 (The Dodge & Teleport core got my attention - mainly because I'm an LO and aimings gotten better throughout the community.)
I'm not sure about the base assets and turrents but it's looking good.

Nope, maybe because I barely played T2 but it different to all the other games I play, that's why I love it.

Yea, I don't really like it fast paced, I'm still young and I've lost my awareness after 2 years of no Legions, I think the pace of the game is determined by the game type, like for example, if you put in the Arena mode, I see it being a slow down, but if you play CTF or TDM you'll be expecting FAST gameplay, but a slow down is good, more time to think, better CTF games. :)

blu

I didn't get a chance to listen to the broadcast last night. We were scrimming ET. GG's btw! But here's my 2 cents about some of this stuff.
I like the concepts of Inventory Stations, deployable and turrets, packs or 'cores' for repair, energy, jammer and shield.

Inventories: I think the Inventories could easily be made such that anyone walking within a radius of it can make use of it. That would better fit the quick model of Legions.

Cores: I can do without cloak. Never liked dying instantly without ever seeing your enemy. I like the idea of a T:V style repair pack(core), that repairs anything within a certain radius of the wearer. This again is more appropriate to the faster Legions play. Shield was always a nice option for the HoF and even some MedO gen killers. For those that aren't Tribes Vets, the Energy pack was always a huge bonus for any player. Any other pack had much less manuverability(sp?). So the current 'spawn' setup for Legions might need to be nurfed abit, so that Energy cores would bring you up to what we are used to?

Turrets: I'd much rather have the option of deploying turrets either on land or on buildings (same turret for both, unlike T2 would be nice). This brings a whole level of customization to the defense. Instead of static turret placement that everyone can learn to spam. Once again, this makes more sense for Legions' more kinetic style of play.
What type of projectiles? Maybe make that an option, either chain or plasma? Another aspect of deploying turrets, I think it would be wise to have it so that when you go to inventory station and select 'Turret', you get 3 turrets, not just one. This will make it quicker and will make deploying much more enjoyable. And of course have a maximum possible of like 6? This kindof creates a position on the field that alot of players like. Deployer/Repair Dude. But, since it's quick, you won't necessarily be stuck in that role. In fact, anyone can help out.

Assets: What other assets were discussed? Generators? Sensors?

Love the direction in which Legions is going, I think the planned changes are going to draw a lot more players to the game and add depth and new experiences for the current players.

Been waiting on this since I first heard about Legions... great news! I agree with what Bytor said about the cloak core, if they were implemented into the game I really wouldn't mind, but I would rather not see cloaking in Legions. I also didn't like the idea of the dodge core, Isn't that kinda like what the instant overdrive for the juggernaut class does now? I do however like the idea of the repair core, shield core, and jammer core, I think all of these are great ideas.

I also have a couple of questions/concerns. I heard talks last night of an energy core. If an energy core is added, will the default energy a player has be nerfed down? I really like the way the energy level is set now on legions, it's fast paced and seems to work really well especially once you learn the maps, I would hope that wouldn't be messed with too much. Also is Overdrive going to be considerd a core? Or will all players no matter what still be able to overdrive? I don't know if you guys have thought of this but, if an energy core is too be implement could you not use the overdrive core to be considered your "energy" core? This could make it where defaults have no overdrive, which would still create a need to use an "energy core" and create a balance to where your not having juggernaunts around with shield packs and still ODing all over the place.

edit: Also, I'm not sure about the teleport core, seems a lil tribes 2 renegades to me, just my opinion.

I feel like it's moving in that direction, but that's a good thing. Nothing wrong with taking something that was done well in the past and putting your on spin on it, and I feel like that's what legions has done.

I don't think the changes will slow down the game too much at all, if anything it's going to add more balance and require more teamwork which is always a good thing!

Disci

Old man
What I loved about Tribes base was that you could divide a match into certain periords(think about HoN). There was the beginning part where Almost all the O went HO the first run destroying base assets and deployables while max one went capping in light armor. Middle part where teams executed their tactics and tried to make as many caps as possible while keeping the flag home and end part where desperate team who was few caps behind tried to throw all they got against turtling team with max D possible trying to keep their flag back home. Oh the memories! :p

This is what I want to see in Legions but I agree that it should be kept as intense and fast as possible.

Fixious

Test Lead
What I loved about Tribes base was that you could divide a match into certain periords(think about HoN). There was the beginning part where Almost all the O went HO the first run destroying base assets and deployables while max one went capping in light armor. Middle part where teams executed their tactics and tried to make as many caps as possible while keeping the flag home and end part where desperate team who was few caps behind tried to throw all they got against turtling team with max D possible trying to keep their flag back home. Oh the memories! :p

This is what I want to see in Legions but I agree that it should keep as intense and fast as possible.

I actually hate this on some maps, like Snowblind and Raindance. Mainly maps where bases are enclosed but easily accessible by HO's. They just completely rape your base with mortars, preventing you from actually getting a decent loadout. Fortunately, with how Legions is I sincerely doubt that'll ever happen.

Disci

Old man
I actually hate this on some maps, like Snowblind and Raindance. Mainly maps where bases are enclosed but easily accessible by HO's. They just completely rape your base with mortars, preventing you from actually getting a decent loadout. Fortunately, with how Legions is I sincerely doubt that'll ever happen.

Oh, but you still had to have very good HO players to do so. No scrubs could do that when LD's were aware and bb'd them before they could reach to base. Heavy with 0 speed even not so far from the SB base was easily mine disked to hell. :)

PuppyGuard

I heard about 10-20 minutes or so of info on LegionsLive.

You fergot the baby nuking fest. I really hope that the cores combined with HO's doesn't end up like Tribes on those certain maps;) Renegade & LT Matches end up turning into a babynuking fest(wasn't just babynukes either).
I have my fingers crossed for the cores not enabling op HoF's.

---------------------------------

I feel that the direction of legions is falling into the grooves of the Tribes universe(not to be confused with the new upcoming game "Tribes Universe"), and boy was I excited to hear about cores entering the game.

It was inviting to hear that turrets will be introduced along with the deployables. Good stuff:)

Disci

Old man
You fergot the baby nuking fest.

---------------------------------

I feel that the direction of legions is falling into the grooves of the Tribes universe(not to be confused with the new upcoming game "Tribes Universe"), and boy was I excited to hear about cores entering the game.

What is 'baby nuking fest'? I've never heard about this term during my Tribes carrier.

The direction was pretty certain from the beginning of L:OD. Look at the dev team for hints. ;)

Fixious

Test Lead
Oh Puppy/RedInk...

Disci, he's referring to the Annihilation mod, which features a really crazy weapon called Baby Nuke Launcher. It's pretty much like it sounds; a baby nuke you can fire like a mortar. Extremely powerful and has a large blast radius.

Puppy, these aren't in LT or Renegades you silly goose. Only Annihlation. LT is limited to three weapons and one armor.

Application-1

test bester
The idea for a energy core is a bad one imo. Considering skiing is already so easy in legions, adding something like that would make it way to easy. Considering the heavy is already a viable capper I think energy cores are not needed. The rest though is great stuff.

Disci

Old man
The idea for a energy core is a bad one imo. Considering skiing is already so easy in legions, adding something like that would make it way to easy. Considering the heavy is already a viable capper I think energy cores are not needed. The rest though is great stuff.

Re-think that if you wouldn't actually have as much energy as you do atm if you don't have e-pack.

Dacil

As long as it's moving forward, I'm happy.

Cores <3 (The Dodge & Teleport core got my attention - mainly because I'm an LO and aimings gotten better throughout the community.)
I'm not sure about the base assets and turrents but it's looking good.

Nope, maybe because I barely played T2 but it different to all the other games I play, that's why I love it.

Yea, I don't really like it fast paced, I'm still young and I've lost my awareness after 2 years of no Legions, I think the pace of the game is determined by the game type, like for example, if you put in the Arena mode, I see it being a slow down, but if you play CTF or TDM you'll be expecting FAST gameplay, but a slow down is good, more time to think, better CTF games. :)

Agreed! couldn't have said it better

Disci

Old man
inventory stations???? :(
this is turning into another tribes, not a game inspired by tribes.

You probably have not played any of the Tribes games. I don't see a reason to expect this to be exactly like Tribes but a mix of elements from both Legions and Tribes games. I don't know what you people have against Tribes games especially those who has no idea what Tribes games were about. Testing them today, without knowing what it was like to have huge community with lots of competition going on, is the same as Going out clubbing without drinking at all and then pretend to be drunk like hell.

Atleast if you bash Tribes then provide reasonable points why Legions should not borrow things from Tribes games. Especially when it's about invs, deplyables etc.