Launch Legions: Overdrive from the website.

Vustom

I've been thinking up some ideas for Legions: Overdrive and I've come up with one that I think will be pretty sweet. (A feature that allows users to both Launch the game from the website and also checkup on News, the Community & the Blog at the same time.)

My idea is that, If you could launch Legions: Overdrive from the website, It would probably be a button that would say Start, And if you didn't have Legions installed it would redirect you to a download page which will state that you don't have the game installed.

I really hope this idea does turn into reality, Because it will defiantly keep me more active within the Legions community.

A2

Just like the other free FPS games site? I think this will be a good idea. IMO

Edit: But we should be able to launch it even from the shortcut.
Then it doesn't make a difference. :/

stefygraff

Private Tester
Lets not rush things up, just wait for one thing at a time, which is the game itself !

After L:O is up, we will have plenty of time to see whats good and whats bad!

Personally, I've always preferred the idea of pressing an icon on my desktop.
You can't use the argument that having the button on the website encourages people to check the forums, because if people don't want to visit the forums, they won't. It also wont increase awareness from said site and forums, since it will probably only be downloadable from this site, and thus everyone is already aware of it.
Using either CombatArms or Battlefield: Heroes as examples, I'd place a fair size bet that less than 90% of people playing said games would use the forums, unless something broke. Even then, a good 40 or 50% would just check the main page for news or to see if it's up, for a few weeks, then just give up and find a new game.

Vustom

Personally, I've always preferred the idea of pressing an icon on my desktop.
You can't use the argument that having the button on the website encourages people to check the forums, because if people don't want to visit the forums, they won't. It also wont increase awareness from said site and forums, since it will probably only be downloadable from this site, and thus everyone is already aware of it.
Using either CombatArms or Battlefield: Heroes as examples, I'd place a fair size bet that less than 90% of people playing said games would use the forums, unless something broke. Even then, a good 40 or 50% would just check the main page for news or to see if it's up, for a few weeks, then just give up and find a new game.
I was just speaking for myself, I think if it was there, I would be more active within the community, and that might be the case for others as well.
The option to launch it from you're desktop will still be there.

57thEnryu

Frankly, I'd like to see it launch from the website, cuz one of the aluers (sp?) of legions was that I could play it from any comp anywhere. One of my friends (who I still haven't told him that legions came back) said that was the whole reason he played it; load, get in game, shoot some *chocolate cookies*, leave. I for one would like to see a browser version.

poiuyt580

I've been thinking up some ideas for Legions: Overdrive and I've come up with one that I think will be pretty sweet. (A feature that allows users to both Launch the game from the website and also checkup on News, the Community & the Blog at the same time.)

My idea is that, If you could launch Legions: Overdrive from the website, It would probably be a button that would say Start, And if you didn't have Legions installed it would redirect you to a download page which will state that you don't have the game installed.

I really hope this idea does turn into reality, Because it will defiantly keep me more active within the Legions community.
I really don't get the point of this...isn't it faster to launch from desktop instead of opening browser?

BeefThief

Beefy Member
Here's what I was thinking:

Keep L:O as a stand-alone client, but integrate some community aspects into the main menu after starting it up. So on the main menu, you could have the options of choosing "Single Player", "Multiplayer", along with recent blog posts and hot forum topics. Of course links would be provided that would then launch the blog/forum.

anak

VIP
Wait.
Why would you want to launch legions in three steps (browser -> lod.com -> lod) rather than one (lod.exe)?

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
I'm a little confused as to why you want this except for being more active in the community. While it is a feasible and doable option, do you, vustom, find yourself incapable of putting this site on your bookmarks tab and just check the forums whenever? I feel that this could be an option, though how often its used, we won't know until the game's gone public.

anak

VIP
Launching it from a website would require either hacking or a plugin, and i'm pretty sure no one wants either of those.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Idle thought: Anyone know what's involved in getting a free-to-release, independent game up on Steam? There's almost definitely a cost involved, but it'd be interesting to know what that cost is. There'd be a time cost in integration, to be sure, but it solves matchmaking, friends lists, and so on fairly handily.

Probably expensive as hell. Still, one wonders...

(Edit: Forgive me if this has already been beaten into the ground; I'm new to the forums and am still catching up! =)

Maybe an exe version that auto updates the game and start it and if you want you can make an option that opens up the site in one click in the exe version
may be it can be a downloader exe like some other free online games

RainPilot

stinky bear
Just pointing some things out. If L:O has a big red button saying play now on the front page, any experienced games will probably leave because they can compare the site with ijji and their crappy games; or atleast assume it's a boring game.

Also since L:O is in a client, many new players to the game will simply leave because they are looking for a quick and free game that's you don't have to download. Where in a browser, Legions got many new players simply because it was free, non-downloadable and quick to load.From my own experience of first coming to IA, I would of never downloaded Legions because I was too ignorant to notice good games and only tried Legions because it was in a browser.. nothing to lose.
Here's what I was thinking:

Keep L:O as a stand-alone client, but integrate some community aspects into the main menu after starting it up. So on the main menu, you could have the options of choosing "Single Player", "Multiplayer", along with recent blog posts and hot forum topics. Of course links would be provided that would then launch the blog/forum.
I don't want my main menu in the client to be full of junk. I just was a Multiplayer button and a server list. Besides, the blog and forum are already on one site.. so if you found the client, you obviously found the whole site which contains forums etc.