Launch Alert Vipers!

Calimo

Spin up FTL drives!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15017484

Another article.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_BREAKING_LIGHT_SPEED?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

By Jason Palmer Science and technology reporter, BBC News
The neutrinos are fired deep under the Italian Apennines at Gran Sasso
Continue reading the main story

Puzzling results from Cern, home of the LHC, have confounded physicists - because it appears subatomic particles have exceeded the speed of light.
Neutrinos sent through the ground from Cern toward the Gran Sasso laboratory 732km away seemed to show up a tiny fraction of a second early.
The result - which threatens to upend a century of physics - will be put online for scrutiny by other scientists.
In the meantime, the group says it is being very cautious about its claims.
"We tried to find all possible explanations for this," said report author Antonio Ereditato of the Opera collaboration.
"We wanted to find a mistake - trivial mistakes, more complicated mistakes, or nasty effects - and we didn't," he told BBC News.
"When you don't find anything, then you say 'Well, now I'm forced to go out and ask the community to scrutinise this.'"
Caught speeding?
The speed of light is the Universe's ultimate speed limit, and much of modern physics - as laid out in part by Albert Einstein in his special theory of relativity - depends on the idea that nothing can exceed it.
Thousands of experiments have been undertaken to measure it ever more precisely, and no result has ever spotted a particle breaking the limit.
But Dr Ereditato and his colleagues have been carrying out an experiment for the last three years that seems to suggest neutrinos have done just that.
Neutrinos come in a number of types, and have recently been seen to switch spontaneously from one type to another.
The team prepares a beam of just one type, muon neutrinos, sending them from Cern to an underground laboratory at Gran Sasso in Italy to see how many show up as a different type, tau neutrinos.
In the course of doing the experiments, the researchers noticed that the particles showed up a few billionths of a second sooner than light would over the same distance.
The team measured the travel times of neutrino bunches some 15,000 times, and have reached a level of statistical significance that in scientific circles would count as a formal discovery.
But the group understands that what are known as "systematic errors" could easily make an erroneous result look like a breaking of the ultimate speed limit, and that has motivated them to publish their measurements.
"My dream would be that another, independent experiment finds the same thing - then I would be relieved," Dr Ereditato said.
But for now, he explained, "we are not claiming things, we want just to be helped by the community in understanding our crazy result - because it is crazy".
"And of course the consequences can be very serious."

Stand by for jump!

I just found this very interesting! I'd enjoy to hear what people have to say about it! And...well...it gave me an excuse to quote BSG...
*checks off bucket list*

BeefThief

Beefy Member
Basically, if they're wrong and it was a miscalculation, nothing changes.

If they're right. everything changes.

Redvan

Private Tester
I see no problem with something going faster than the speed of light. Before Einstein nobody really knew, who's to say he was right? It's happened before.

Of course, they have a lot of work ahead of them before they can prove it does indeed go faster than light.

D

Doom Of Neroflame

if this changes evrything...time to start building a spaceship...

Propkid

Add an extra one to the possible scenarios for the upcoming apocalypse. Not sure what will it exactly be, but it will involve this *chocolate cookies*.

Also, *dance* ME! Are you telling me that I took a particles module in physics and learned all about those friggin muon and tau neutrinos just for nothing??!?!?!!?

D

Doom Of Neroflame

Add an extra one to the possible scenarios for the upcoming apocalypse. Not sure what will it exactly be, but it will involve this *chocolate cookies*.

Also, *dance* ME! Are you telling me that I took a particles module in physics and learned all about those friggin muon and tau neutrinos just for nothing??!?!?!!?
possibly...also...speed of light *vroom* <<<BANG>>> black hole.....end of world

GameDevMich

Honored Hero
@Calimo - Nice usage of BSG. I just recently started watching the show for the first time, so your thread title brought me here. We were talking about this news in the office yesterday and it is definitely a mind-blowing announcement.

For those confused or curious as to what this means, let me present a scenario that expresses the magnitude of this discovery. Let's say you are playing Legions. Having fun, you know the constraints of the game and its world. You've been playing it for a long time and know how the game will play out.

SUDDENLY, all of the Legions characters appear outside of your monitor. They are on your keyboard, skiing around and fighting each other. You did not think it previously possible, but it just happened. Oh shi-!

Here is another situation. You are standing in your kitchen and also walking around outside at the same time. Wrap your head around that.

If Cern is able to verify these results, that is the kind of impact it will have on science and physics. In fact, kiss physics goodbye…they have to write entirely new books.

Application-1

test bester
As I study physics I am really mind blowned about this one. It was the topic at my school here.

But as some people say that you can kiss physics goodbye, rewrite books etc. then no.
Einstein his E=mc² is true, it has been proven. The question now is: How accurate is einstein his formula or are there exceptions. That is what we are looking at now. Physics will stay the same but there might just be another formula on the way or something like that.

This discovery is more about: ow hey this is the fastest particle ever measured!
And there could always be a error made even though they say they have not. But I will just repeat myself because people need to know this: E=mc² is true, but how accurate is it? Maybe a variable needs to be added now, and maybe that variable only changes in a situation they had cern.

So YES it is big news, but stuff that has been proven has been proven, in the world of physics you measure with a error it could just be that there has been one error ignored that we may not ignore wich means it is not as accurate as it really is, but still accurate/true.

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
He wrote the theory in like 1905? Think about what was happening in 1905 and how much of it has been changed or broken to this day... The fattest land speed was 100mph then - now its 763mph. The longest flight in a plane was like 30s - now it's just under 19 hours. Yeah it will change physics but the theory of relativity is a theory, it's insane to think it's been broken and it might just be an error but if it's not we just took one step closer to...
tumblr_lcveiokTsv1qzkbgno1_500.gif

DKnight556

Quite interesting. Since the weight of a nuetrino is really really low is that why Einsteins theory is inaccurate here?

Propkid

Quite interesting. Since the weight of a nuetrino is really really low is that why Einsteins theory is inaccurate here?
You don't wanna get into particle physics too much my friend. I've been walking around my school with a severe headache for a few weeks while studying that topic.