Laser Rifle: the beginner's guide

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
I just thought I'd write up a thing for new players on the weapon I use best (but am not the best at using, I know many snipers are better than I am) However, I don't need to be the best to write a short article on it, right?
Enough with the preamble, let's do this.

The laser rifle... Where to begin? Its probably the most controversial weapon on the forums with the possible exception of the Cluster. They are easily visible when in use, having beams of pretty blue-white light stretching into infinity as some poor bastard gets "caught in the sights of [enter name here]."

The Laser Rifle deals 53% damage to Outriders, 40% to raiders, and 20% to sentinels. These damage specifications are based with the assumption that the target is within the maximum damage range and that the energy bar is full. (More on those two things further down.)

The weapon's discharge, being a light beam, travels at light speed and has a fairly long effective range. Along with the decent damage it inflicts, you're probably thinking "Holy Awesome, Batman, why isn't everybody using the laser rifle?"

A few reasons, padawan. Firstly, the damage distance isn't infinite. After a certain distance, the damage drops off. If you hit an outrider sitting in his base on Nivosus or Moonshine while you are sitting in yours, for example, you'll only deal about 20% to the outrider armor, rather than 40%. Pulling the same stunt on Frostbyte gets you probably about 10% on the outrider. However, that's the least of the worries.

The second reason is the level of difficulty. You might think that hitting a mid-air target with the LR, a light-speed weapon, is going to be easier than hitting a mid-air moving target with a rocket launcher (RL). While this is true, once the target lands, the rocket launcher becomes much easier while the laser rifle stays at the same level of difficulty, which isn't really that easy after all because of the multiplayer aspect of the game, there's a delay, however short between when you click the fire button on your mouse (or whatever setting you have for that) and when the weapon discharges in the game. In many games, this isn't an issue, but when you've got small targets in relation to the map hurtling around at incredible velocities, it becomes a huge issue. This problem is directly related to ping, so usually lower pings give much better results with sniping.

The final reason is the fact that the weapon consumes the same energy your jetpacks do. Every shot will, no matter how much energy you have, be it full or empty, take all the energy available to you. This leads to difficulties in dueling with the laser rifle, because using it sacrifices your ability to easily gain the higher ground on your opponent. Also, using the laser rifle while chasing a flag carrier is more difficult (but not undoable).

Using the laser rifle

Due to the limitations in place on it (I didn't get into the relatively slower rate of fire compared to the rocket launcher, though I might be wrong) the easiest way to use the LR is to use it standing still. Remember, if you want to get the shot to hit, you have to think a split second into the future, to account for ping, and aim ahead accordingly. How much ahead you think you need to aim is dependent on how far away the target is and how quickly they are moving. The point at which a player is most vulnerable to being hit with the laser rifle is at the apex of a high arc. If you are on a team with a few snipers and watch them in action, that's one of the most common times they'll take the shot. The reasoning behind that is because the target isn't moving quickly.

Also, using the zoom function is a more necessary action with this weapon, you are sniping, taking shots at longer distances, and so it really does make sense. One more thing to remember is that if you feel like you're rushing the shot, you will more likely miss. I have found that patience is key in getting good shots, taking all the time you need to line up and take the shot. Sometimes, you just don't have the time necessary to line it up. I have decided that what makes a sniper a 'good sniper' is that they can pull off the same shot in much less time.

Strategy pt. I, the LRs place in CTF strategy, etc.

This is the part where I address offensive sniping (Also called OSniping). I figure I should touch on this first, just because everybody who has a problem with the LR that doesn't use it has a problem with OSniping.

It is tactically inadvisable to practice OSniping. Firstly, its annoying as all hell, especially for other snipers because most people who Osnipe haven't really gotten the hang of sniping, so they target the stationary players who, in defensive positions, are snipers. (the Heavy on Flag will also be stationary, but might not be so easy to get line of sight.) The only time it could possibly be considered to be tactically advisable is when some of the defense gets sick and tired of your antics and leave to go kick your teeth in, which opens up the base for the capper, but that's not why you're there, is it? You are there to try and get kills to open up a route for the capper. I've been there, that was my lame excuse. However, when you kill somebody there, the LO can do it faster because you probably aren't that great at sniping. When you do finally get a kill, they'll be back in a few seconds, undoing at that luck and time you spent.

Now, time to get to the more advisable strategic position.

In many games, people play sniper simply to get the most kills. This isn't what the weapon is for. I'll tell you what the Laser Rifle is for. Defense. That is what this weapon is good for. You can hit an Outrider coming into an Overdrive cap route, and they'll end up dying before they get far at all. If you didn't kill them on the way in, you can always go in for a shot as they're leaving and that really can crush their soul without giving them a good reason to chew you out for doing a good job. The other good use comes into play during flag standoffs.

Standoffs are when both teams have their opponent's flag in their base. Neither team can score a point, and thus they are in a standoff. Each team will be sending some people to the enemy base to retrieve their flag, and other members of each team will stay in the base to keep control of their flag. The laser rifle comes in handy in this situation as a means towards streamlining kills. In a defensive position, you can either kill enemies, or weaken them to be killed by your team mates. The advisable method is simply to plant shots on any and every enemy, and you'll get some kills. In an offensive position, you can effectively put pressure on an enemy with the flag, or put another enemy out of commission for a few seconds. In boring non-standoff conditions, the few seconds isn't much, but in a standoff, one player being gone for even a brief moment can make a big difference.

Basic Techniques for Sniping

Now that I've gone over the strategic advantages of defensive sniping, I should give a few pointers on how to do it. The most important thing for beginner snipers and anybody that can't always keep a cool head in these situations (like me) is to try not to get sucked into a duel. Move around the base to different positions, be unassuming, and don't take to long with your shots or else somebody is going to see an easy kill and start the assault. Shooting people that are already engaged is a good idea. On some maps, you can be just outside the base proper and still do an effective job (Gorge and frostbyte are the best examples, Moonshine and Nivo aren't as great for that). What I do is I look at the targets that are near death and try to take them out sooner than the other LO. However, when the flag is still in, you should keep an eye out for cappers, because they are the important targets. They will be coming in at high speeds, but if you are near the flag stand, they would appear to be moving so quickly, and so will be easier targets.

Chasing is the other thing that can be done with the LR, though most people don't touch it due to the energy demand of the weapon. However, it can be done, though it isn't easy. The trick is to use skiing methods that don't use too much by way of jetting up/down right before you take your shot, and if you are flying high and planning to take a shot, make sure you'll land on a downslope if you run out of fuel, since you will if you take the shot. Also, get as close as you can to being right behind the capper (the guy with the flag) since if all you have to account for is vertical movement, you've reduced the problem to a one-dimensional, instead of two or three-dimensional one.

The laser rifle can take a little getting used to, but you should get proficient quickly, just remember to lead your shots.

The bottom line: Don't go offensive sniping unless you want to get triple-teamed eventually, keep a cool head, and lead your shots.

If any other snipers have something to add, go right ahead, I don't expect this is perfect.

(UPDATED: I know this is rather late, but I've finally updated the damages and have attempted to add a few more small nuggets of advise since the first draft.)

At first I thought this was going to be a joke of a guide, but it was really good. Very nice job on the guide.

I laughed at this part:
This is the part where I address offensive sniping (Also called OSniping). I figure I should touch on this first, just because everybody who has a problem with the LR that doesn't use it has a problem with OSniping.

I myself am known for being a hornet player (rocket + sniper class). I like to play D-stay-at-home but I have made my mark chasing the lint licking cappers down. You forgot to mention the fact about kicking a "hornets" nest when you OSnipe.

This is to anybody OSniping; If you actually end up being useful and hit people with your OSnipe, .... have fun spending most of your time spawning.....be prepared because you might shoot at another sniper.... who knows what he is doing. You wont learn anything from being shot, you can only learn the sniper by doing and not watching.

Frosted

I sometime use the sniper rifle for O snipe when stand off take too long. Sometime it's the only way to kill the FC because he has like 5 defender.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
I sometime use the sniper rifle for O snipe when stand off take too long. Sometime it's the only way to kill the FC because he has like 5 defender.
Yeah, I forgot to include that, but I think that more falls under 'chasing and retrieval' rather than what everybody thinks of as Osniping.
Maybe you should record some shots and do a video tutorial. I'm sure that would help a lot.
I don't have the software to do that, and I'm not that great of a sniper, I'm probably just above average. Perhaps one of the better ones could do that.

You can watch someone snipe, but it probably wont help all that much. It is kind of like watching someone shoot an MA. You can't copy someone, you just have to gain the know how to do it on your own. Maybe it would help with chase sniping, but I doubt it.

Most of the good tips are in the guide (when chasing get behind so it is more of an up and down thing then sideways, Shoot at the hight of the ark someone is traveling at *that point where someone goes down instead of up, there is a moment when they hover*, ect.)

Aki

A further note to would-be Osnipers:

There are players, and by that I refer to myself, who will drop everything else to go after you, regardless of disparity in skill, and with a deaf ear to plaintiff requests to no longer be 'stalked.'

For me, I don't even care if I kill you or not. I play LO, mostly: I specialize in distracting. If I can keep your Osniping ass from Osniping for ten seconds, I consider it a strategic victory. Especially if it saves the HoF or capper.

Basic gist: unless you're as good a sniper AND dueler as some Omnis (*coughlillithcough*), don't bother osniping. Your contribution to your team will be insignificant if not nonexistent, and your only real success will be in pissing people off. Stay on D as mausgang wisely suggests and you can avoid the flames and being singled out. You'll never want for targets playing D: even with the flag gone, LO should still be coming at your base to get their flag back or be ready for an e grab.

Noober

The only way i use sniper is for defence or chasing... on offence and on base retrive i think it's not correct and quite useless.. maybe only on a duel with enemy FC.
i also see that chase with snipe isn't always good without some good LO that retrive the flag.
The loss of energy due to snipe in chase actions often compromises the speed you can gain to retrive the flag yourself, also doing skiing correctly.
It's not the first time that i snipe an FC and another enemy player catch the flag immediately, i snipe him and another one catch it and finally cap.. another example of useless sniping.
(in my opinion and based only on my experience)

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
The only way i use sniper is for defence or chasing... on offence and on base retrive i think it's not correct and quite useless..

Incorrect. On offence, the sniper rifle is best used for bowlparty, because it is quite simply op ;) In standoffs, you should be able to do that, and help LO to retrieve flag by shooting enemies (i.e. the flag carrier, if low enough, or the player who he will pass to) In chasing, you really need a good normal chaser. The sniper rifle chase is only there to help.

Get on Ts3 sometime and I'll show you what I mean.