Laptop keyboard+trackpad with Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
I want to play Legions on my desktop computer, as it is much more powerful than my laptop. Unfortunately, I have ALWAYS played Legions on a laptop, and I really don't feel like relearning how to play, especially because I'm quite comfortable using a trackpad. Is there any way I can use my laptop's keyboard and trackpad, but my desktop's CPU/GPU/everything else+monitor?

Redvan

Private Tester
While you may be comfortable with the track pad, you severely limit your capabilities. It's well worth switching to more capable hardware to allow yourself to improve to the level you can. Trust me, it'll feel much more natural using a mouse than trackpad, even if you've never played L:O with a mouse before.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
As it is, I have 0 technical know-how as it pertains to soldering and pins and everything. I was looking at that thread before hand, but it just confused me. That gadget has one downside - no physical button to press down. I can see myself accidentally firing rockets when I just want to move...
Obviously an alternate route I have is simply getting a better laptop - that would solve my FPS needs.

@Redvan - I've been told that numerous times, yet I think that the only places I get limited in are insanely complex cap routes (chute to chute - like the one in Chronicles of Zeta) and maybe dueling. When it comes to everything else, I've been able to do it. I might make it a summer goal to relearn Legions with a mouse, but it's effectively like playing with the ability of a newblood but the experience/knowledge of a long-time player, and I usually just end up rage quitting back to the trackpad.
@Seymour - I always make sure I do some wrist exercises (inb4pervertedcomment) to prevent Carpal Tunnel.

Redvan

Private Tester
@Redvan - I've been told that numerous times, yet I think that the only places I get limited in are insanely complex cap routes (chute to chute - like the one in Chronicles of Zeta) and maybe dueling. When it comes to everything else, I've been able to do it. I might make it a summer goal to relearn Legions with a mouse, but it's effectively like playing with the ability of a newblood but the experience/knowledge of a long-time player, and I usually just end up rage quitting back to the trackpad.
No doubt, it'll take getting used to. But look at the two things you listed as being restricted in: Complex cap routes and dueling.

Cap routes: You'll need to know the better ones if you want to play comp.
Dueling: Vital skill set to LO, LD, HoF, Cappers... basically everyone will need these types of skills at some point in the game. Whether they're returning the flag, holding the flag, clearing the flag, defending the flag...

Those two things are the basis of L:O.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I wonder if a trackball would be a good fit for you. The movement would be similar to using a trackpad (probably more tactile feedback, though), and I remember there have been some impressive PC players that swore by trackballs. Not sure if there's any such players in Legions, mind you. Still, one of my favourite things about PC gaming is the amount of customization available, from controllers to keyboards + mice, to whatever.

Anyhow, if you're not familiar with trackballs, here's a pic of one:
http://www.amazon.ca/Kensington-Orbit-Optical-Trackball-64327/dp/B00006W2QD

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
I wonder if a trackball would be a good fit for you. The movement would be similar to using a trackpad (probably more tactile feedback, though), and I remember there have been some impressive PC players that swore by trackballs. Not sure if there's any such players in Legions, mind you. Still, one of my favourite things about PC gaming is the amount of customization available, from controllers to keyboards + mice, to whatever.

Anyhow, if you're not familiar with trackballs, here's a pic of one:
http://www.amazon.ca/Kensington-Orbit-Optical-Trackball-64327/dp/B00006W2QD
The issue with that is that it's a mouse. The reason I'm so accustomed to the trackpad is as follows. I use the alt/option key for jets. Therefore, my hands are set up like this:
Left Hand:
Pinky: LShift
Ring finger: A
Middle finger: W/S
Index: D
Thumb: Alt (jets)

Right hand:
Ring/middle: Space bar
Pointer: trackpad
Thumb: LClick via physical trackpad button

If I switched to a mouse, I would have to get used to using my right hand for jetting and my left hand for jumping/upjetting. It seems innocuous, but it's rather confusing at first.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Requesting video of Piggeh playing!

Yar, not sure what to tell you, I guess use what works for you. For the longest time I used the rightside arrow keys and numpad to play games. Kinda awkward, and I knew that I would be more comfortable using the standard WASD setup. My method of 'adjusting' myself to a new control scheme was playing through a singleplayer first person game, just played through the campaign (I can't remember which game it was, probably Half-Life 2). Anyhow, that's what worked for me, maybe it will work for you too.

Redvan

Private Tester
If I switched to a mouse, I would have to get used to using my right hand for jetting and my left hand for jumping/upjetting. It seems innocuous, but it's rather confusing at first.

you could switch the jump and jet keys around to make your jet key be either alt or space, and have your jump key be RMB... Then you could keep your right hand doing what it's used to and left doing what it's used to.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
No doubt, it'll take getting used to. But look at the two things you listed as being restricted in: Complex cap routes and dueling.

Cap routes: You'll need to know the better ones if you want to play comp.
Dueling: Vital skill set to LO, LD, HoF, Cappers... basically everyone will need these types of skills at some point in the game. Whether they're returning the flag, holding the flag, clearing the flag, defending the flag...

Those two things are the basis of L:O.
I don't actually think that it's my use of a trackpad that's affecting my ability to duel, I think it's the fact that I don't do it very often. As I mentioned in my previous post, it's only the absurd cap routes that I can't do, which again, could be a result of me not practicing them very often.

Meh, this thread has turned into the benefits of using a mouse over a trackpad.

EDIT: @Redvan: Why didn't I think of that before...

DKnight556

I've been beaten by a guy using a trackpad?
2j3lkbp.gif

Lanthus

I used to have an unorthodox control scheme back in my Quake 2 days. Until switching to keyboard + mouse, it was difficult to see the limitations of my old scheme.

However, if you really want to stick with your laptop's keyboard + trackpad, this might work for you:
http://synergy-foss.org/

It allows sharing of keyboard and mouse across a network.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
I used to have an unorthodox control scheme back in my Quake 2 days. Until switching to keyboard + mouse, it was difficult to see the limitations of my old scheme.

However, if you really want to stick with your laptop's keyboard + trackpad, this might work for you:
http://synergy-foss.org/

It allows sharing of keyboard and mouse across a network.
So I would use my desktop as the "Client" and my laptop as a server?

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
Well I suppose this has been resolved, so it can be closed. Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.