Jet Energy DOT

skypredator

As long as jets have the power to propel a 2 ton Legionairre, I suggest that anyone trailing a player, whether friend or foe, would be damaged by the jet trails emanating from the player in front of him. Not to say that cappers have the short end of the stick already, I mean, with snipers, chainers, and a veritable rain of explosives trying to ship him first-class to hellgates and all. If you got too close, the energy from the jets would cause damage to the obnoxious tailgater. C&C welcome.

skypredator

Just thinkin' that if the jets are strong enough to displace a 4 ton Sentinel, well, y'know, the hell with it. They might as well be as strong as a weak version of the laser rifle beam. Remember, the energy the LR uses is from the Jets, meaning the Jets must be the same as LR beams, but weaker; the LR drains ALL energy on one shot, but Jets don't drain instantly. See what I'm getting at?

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
I don't see how this would be realistic, but I like it.
I think actually he was trying for more realism. The afterglow would be really hot. However, in response to the actual idea, I don't think it would do much for gameplay. Rarely does anybody follow close enough to make a difference.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
While realistically, yes, it would make things glow, it would be terrible for gameplay. What happens if you try flying backwards to shoot behind you to rocketjump? What happens if you aren't going fast and turn on your jets? HoF's would be able to control the stand even easier. I just don't see this as a practical idea...

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
Oooh a logic debate!
Who says that the jets are petroleum fuel based and not cold fusion gravity displacers? Since you obviously do not loose mass from jetting around constantly it can't be a fuel that is depleted in any quantifiable way, so a non-thermal and efficient system would seem to fit.
Oh and the sentinel is 180 kilograms, or ~397 pounds, not 2 tons.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
If we're actually trying to figure out what the jets are, we need to think about what they do. They do not provide thrust by conservation of momentum as do rockets in our world. Instead, because they cause the air to incandesce, it is more likely that the "jets" themselves are actually radiators that are capable of changing their configuration to maximize radiation of heat and aerodynamics.

Further, if they were actual jets, you would be able to jet forward, which as we all know, you cannot do. For this reason, it is entirely possible that they are hot fusion gravity manipulators. Of course this is speculation, but if we ever get any lore stuff started, I guess we'd now know what they are...

At any rate, this discussion where it is is bordering on lore speculation and isn't really the intended topic.

So, back on topic... I just don't see the purpose of this as it would simply cause more problems than it solves by increasing realism...

skypredator

As I said, the LR uses Jet energy, using the Jet energy up all at once; the Jets, however, do not consume their own energy all at once. This means that realisticly, the jets should be damaging. It doesn't matter if it's you, a friendly , or an enemy that run into the jets. The jets are basically weak DOT lasers.

skypredator

Oh, but they are, ripper. I'm not arguing what the jets are; I just believe that if the jet energy may be used to form a high-energy laser that is capable of piercing 2 inches of steel, the Jets should have some sort of damaging capabilities.

Oooh a logic debate!
Who says that the jets are petroleum fuel based and not cold fusion gravity displacers? Since you obviously do not loose mass from jetting around constantly it can't be a fuel that is depleted in any quantifiable way, so a non-thermal and efficient system would seem to fit.
Oh and the sentinel is 180 kilograms, or ~397 pounds, not 2 tons.

If the Jets are what you say they are, the player would get sucked into a sort of a black hole. Secondly, cold fusion does not exist. Having Jets that utilize cold fusion to operate would be unrealistic. I made thisthread to counter all of the "New Weapons" threads. My idea is in the same basic premises as fall damage and colision damage.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
If the Jets are what you say they are, the player would get sucked into a sort of a black hole. Secondly, cold fusion does not exist. Having Jets that utilize cold fusion to operate would be unrealistic. I made thisthread to counter all of the "New Weapons" threads. My idea is in the same basic premises as fall damage and colision damage.

So?

Does it really matter that it is unrealistic, we're talking about the future here!

Oh, but they are, ripper. I'm not arguing what the jets are; I just believe that if the jet energy may be used to form a high-energy laser that is capable of piercing 2 inches of steel, the Jets should have some sort of damaging capabilities.

As long as the jetpacks are unrealistic, we can also choose what the jets are. Who says they have to be lasers who can perform damage?

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
You mean we have to make this game based on technology that already exists? Why did no one tell me this? :(

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Back to the drawing board, DeadGuy. Also this is just in: Realism > gameplay! Now get to work, lazy bugger. (Silly thread is silly)

skypredator

The future doesn't allow two rockets to not destroy a middle sized man in a thin suit of armour. I was getting to a point. The energy is the same; they should have the same effects, to some extent.

While realistically, yes, it would make things glow, it would be terrible for gameplay. What happens if you try flying backwards to shoot behind you to rocketjump? What happens if you aren't going fast and turn on your jets? HoF's would be able to control the stand even easier. I just don't see this as a practical idea...

The old LR had splash damage. The new one doesn't, O Underlearned One. ;)

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
The future doesn't allow two rockets to not destroy a middle sized man in a thin suit of armour. I was getting to a point. The energy is the same; they should have the same effects, to some extent.

The old LR had splash damage. The new one doesn't, O Underlearned One. ;)

What does the old lr having splash have to do with my post?

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
The Jets wouldn't come in contact with yourself if my idea was implemented. You said it would.

...but where does the laser rifle reference come in?

What does the old lr having splash have to do with my post?

Anyhow, I think this would be kinda interesting. The damaging trail reminds me of a Tron lightcycle. Not too sure how practical or useful such a detail would be, but it's definitely interesting.