Is it worth it? tech help please.

Lunaris

hey, im planning to make a desktop in a few weeks, and im about to go out and by the processor. Im no techie, i was just building this computer with a friend because i wanted a good, cheap rig.

i was thinking about getting the Intel Core i7-2600k (sandybridge) @ $340 but does anyone know if its more worth than a AMD Phemon ii x6 or a Core i7-920? <----way cheaper.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Depends on what you want to do with it. Personally, I'm a fan of AMD's cheaper priced Phenom 2 X6's, however, that's mostly because I don't need the extra power of a Core i7 and I need to keep my rig at a decent price (otherwise I'd face the wrath of the wife).

Basically, if I wanted to have a best 'bang for the buck', I'd go with a Phenom 2.

Redvan

Private Tester
only reason I put an intel in my puter was because FSX bench-marked consistently better with that and an nvidia card.

If it weren't for FSX, I'd have gone AMD+ATI fo sho

Lunaris

@Seymour I only play games..

But i thought AMD didnt last longer and were less compatible w/ GPU's....
and theres no OverClocking..

Lunaris

i might use AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition BOX so...

and a ATI Radeon HD 6850 or 6870.. still deciding coz 6870 is like double the price.

D

Doom Of Neroflame

if that is the board your getting regardless then and i7 wouldnt be compatible....

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
@Seymour I only play games..

But i thought AMD didnt last longer and were less compatible w/ GPU's....
and theres no OverClocking..

Argh..? If anything, AMD chipsets lasted longer as backwards compatibility has been a big selling feature for AMD. As for GPU compatibility, if you're talking about X-fire/SLI compatiblity, it depends on the motherboard. And, yeah, they're 'overclockable' as well.

Ragol

I've been looking at upgrading recently too, and I think I'm going with the i7 2600k when the fixed motherboards are out there.

Some benchmarks, more benchmarks

One thing to take into account is that the chipset for the sandy bridge motherboards was the subject of a massive recall on Intel's part. If you want to build a sandy bridge machine you're likely going to have to wait until mid-march at best.

The i5 2500k looks really good at ~$230 if you're willing to wait.