How does this epic kill work?

Redvan

Private Tester
So, I'm inbound to the enemy flag vs 3 D, one of whom is Yami.

I OD, garb, then die from "OmniVan learned something about OD from Yami".

So, Yami must have picked up OD off my wake, but, how'd he kill me with it? From what I understand, to kill someone with OD, you have to explode from OD in their face (assuming the other person is low enough to die from it).

Now, this scenario would be all fine and dandy if the OD had killed Yami as well (for obvious reason: the person would have to explode from OD to kill someone else).

But, "Yami Failed at Rocket Jumping", he DID NOT "Learn something about OD". This implies he died from a RJ after he killed me with his OD.

I was under the impression that OD wake does no damage, which would mean he'd have killed me with splash from his failed RJ rather than OD.

Tell me, how does this work?

BugsPray

Legions Developer
I don't know for certain, but one possible scenario is he was OD chasing you, and hit you with a rocket (via splash or direct hit) when he was right next to you, which might have damaged you, killed him, which meant he exploded in OD doing extra damage to you that killed you.

moronval

Private Tester
I sho be scratching my head at this one. I'll try theorizing a situation, assuming this isn't just an error with the death messages

Redvan

Private Tester
ahhh yes, that would make sense. I OD, he OD'd off my wake, hit me and took me to super low hp, he killed himself with that hit, and at the same time his explosion while in OD killed me. hmmmm... schnazzy

technically my death message came up first, then his. Guess the computer just decided to do the computation for my death first.

BugsPray

Legions Developer
You might try and test which messages show up generally when there's an OD kill. If you do a standard OD kill and it's the same ordering in the message, it sounds like it would be normal. If it's different, there might have been a different order of events.

Sometimes if i die while in 3rd person OD, i see the cone [lack of a better term] of the overdrive keep going for a short distance, would that do any damage? If so couldn't that be what happened?

Reactions: Sin

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
This happens where you OD Nuke someone, but it says <Username> decided to respawn. I'm not sure if it's a bug or if it's just that he rocketed himself while in OD, but his last fragment of health was lost to OD. The server read it as a self-rocket, but in actuality it was an OD Nuke (or the other way around?)
OD waking does not hurt the person you "wake-board." In all likelihood, it is an error with the death messages. I've had this happen to me on multiple occasions; I just assumed it was some sort of error with the messages. Usually when it happens I'm on the giving end though, but there have been times where it has happened to me.

Propkid

Done that in IA ;D
OD bumped into someone in midair that had about 1%hp. Used an outrider though, but it was a lovely flag return ;D I didn't die up until afterwards.

Mabeline

God-Tier
I don't know for certain, but one possible scenario is he was OD chasing you, and hit you with a rocket (via splash or direct hit) when he was right next to you, which might have damaged you, killed him, which meant he exploded in OD doing extra damage to you that killed you.
This is how it happened, damage from OD nuke is done before the death messages are printed.

Reactions: Sin

Sin

Private Tester
I am under the impression OD wake does damage, because I take some health off if I'm pulled by a wake, but this only seems to happen on Frostbyte. Glitch?

I am under the impression OD wake does damage, because I take some health off if I'm pulled by a wake, but this only seems to happen on Frostbyte. Glitch?
When I get hit by an OD shockwave (I refuse to call it a "wake"), the screen shakes and turns reddish (I think?) as if I was damaged, but my health remains the same as before, unless the person doing the OD died while I was caught in the wave.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
When I get hit by an OD shockwave (I refuse to call it a "wake"), the screen shakes and turns reddish (I think?) as if I was damaged, but my health remains the same as before, unless the person doing the OD died while I was caught in the wave.

Its totally more like a shockwave than a wake.

Vinzyboy23

I understand this, I think. If you get shot by a Rocket then you died because of OD, it will say that "OmniVan learned something about OD from yami".

not quite right vinzy. the "OmniVan learned something about OD from yami" will appear if Van was low on hp, and yami OD-nuked him (which is just a death mid OD, be it respawn or otherwise) with enough damage to kill him.
So the rocket could be counted as a separate incident which lowered Van's health down enough for the nuke to kill him. Incidentally the nuke happened because the rocket's blast killed yami.

Redvan

Private Tester
not quite right vinzy. the "OmniVan learned something about OD from yami" will appear if Van was low on hp, and yami OD-nuked him (which is just a death mid OD, be it respawn or otherwise) with enough damage to kill him.
So the rocket could be counted as a separate incident which lowered Van's health down enough for the nuke to kill him. Incidentally the nuke happened because the rocket's blast killed yami.

so you sayin if you kill yourself while in OD, it will nuke? So, with the advent of combos, we can OD into someone and combo ourselves, thus forcing an OD nuke + combo damage? That would be awesome.

Vinzyboy23

thanks for breaking it down.

Mabeline

God-Tier
so you sayin if you kill yourself while in OD, it will nuke? So, with the advent of combos, we can OD into someone and combo ourselves, thus forcing an OD nuke + combo damage? That would be awesome.
You should really read red name posts more carefully :p