Help! My attempted mods aren't being applied in the server I create!

Belberith

Legions Developer
Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? When I make a change to a .cs file, nothing seems to be changed in the server I create!

This is exactly what I did to try to turn off fall damage (something simple to start):
1. I went to ...\public-test\server\game\dataBlocks\preload then into the BasePlayer.cs file.
2. About halfway down there is a line that says "takesFallingDamage = true; // this is a dynamic field". I changed this to false, saved the file, closed it, and set it to read only.
3. I set the option in the Launcher to Public Test, pressed update, then play. I created my own server, which should have the changes (I think!) but my player still takes fall damage.

If you need any more information I'll try to provide it.

Belberith

Fixious

Test Lead
player.cs in Legions Overdrive\public-test\server\game also has a falling damage value. Perhaps you need to change that as well?

Belberith

Legions Developer
Well, ok, but at the start of the function there is this:

if(!isObject(%object) || %this.takesFallingDamage == false)
return;

poiuyt580

Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? When I make a change to a .cs file, nothing seems to be changed in the server I create!

This is exactly what I did to try to turn off fall damage (something simple to start):
1. I went to ...\public-test\server\game\dataBlocks\preload then into the BasePlayer.cs file.
2. About halfway down there is a line that says "takesFallingDamage = true; // this is a dynamic field". I changed this to false, saved the file, closed it, and set it to read only.
3. I set the option in the Launcher to Public Test, pressed update, then play. I created my own server, which should have the changes (I think!) but my player still takes fall damage.

Belberith
There's no need to set to read only.
My BasePlayer.cs file also has takesFallingDamage = false, which works.

Well, ok, but at the start of the function there is this:

if(!isObject(%object) || %this.takesFallingDamage == false)
return;
Don't change that.

Belberith

Legions Developer
I've also tried changing some other simple things, like setting OD damage and minimum activation speed to 0, and nothing happens in the new server. :(

EDIT: Ok thanks poiuyt, I'll try turning off read-only. Also, I didn't change that.

poiuyt580

Belberith
Found the problem.
Update replaces the existing files with a fresh copy.

Belberith

Legions Developer
But that's why I set the files I changed to read only! So that the Launcher didn't update them. Does it actually update them anyways? :O

Belberith

Legions Developer
Yes! I figured it out! It turns out that I was actually changing the wrong files - There is a zip folder in public-test (called public-test.zip of course) which contains exactly the same data files. Apparently Legions.exe reads from THOSE files, not the ones outside of the zip folder.

poiuyt580

Yes! I figured it out! It turns out that I was actually changing the wrong files - There is a zip folder in public-test (called public-test.zip of course) which contains exactly the same data files. Apparently Legions.exe reads from THOSE files, not the ones outside of the zip folder.
????
???
I have never modified nor seen a public-test.zip.

Belberith

Legions Developer
I deleted all the public test files including that zip file and redownloaded public test, and the zip file is created during the download. However, it is automatically deleted after the full installation is complete. For some reason it wasn't deleted for me the first time I installed the update.