Gravity wells

DOS4/GW

Had an interesting idea last night. What if there were a deployable that either pushed or pulled players (and possibly projectiles) away or towards it? Nothing too strong, just something that would have some influence over how players move, and could be compensated for through proper steering adjustments. The power of it's pull or push would depend on how close it is to the player.

Gravity wells (*dancing* magnets?) could be used to send incoming cappers off course, or to slow them down when leaving the base. You could put them next to known LO landing and hiding spots to force them out into the open, or put it at certain spots in the terrain to give a bit of a speed boost to friendly players. It would, of course, have to be able to be destroyed without too much effort.

I'm sure that players could find tons of creative uses for it. It sounds a bit crazy, yes, but maybe it's worth thinking about.

w00tyou

(Why make a turret to do this when you can just make a grappler like gun.) Witch i think is a fine idea, only able to use it 5 times per invo would make capping much more enjoyable. cwhatididther
The Argument...
Anything related to movement should be kept in the vicinity of the legionnaire only.
Why, we have Cores (Packs) coming out, and they specificly are made to change the movement of the legionnaire.
So it is important for the defense to deploy Repair items and Deploy-able invos.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
wouldn't they just be dropped in places that would make it incredibly hard to cap.
there WILL be places like that.

however, if there were stationary map features that did this.....

actually, it would be very interesting to have a weapon that sucks objects towards the point of impact of the shot.
Sorta like anti-knockback.

Very difficult to balance though

DOS4/GW

wouldn't they just be dropped in places that would make it incredibly hard to cap.
there WILL be places like that.

That's the point. You'd position these things to disrupt commonly used entry routes and exits. I imagine that their effectiveness would be determined by the speed of the player. Speedy cappers would have little to fear from them, but very slow cappers might be pushed entirely out of the way or slowed to a crawl. It could be an excellent llama deterrent.

Also, one or two good rockets would be all that is needed to blow one up. This could be done by the capper when approaching the base, or by his LO. I'm sure there would be a limit to the number your team can deploy, and it would make sense if they and their area of influence were good and visible.

I realize it's an abstract idea, but just thinking of possible uses for these things is really exciting for me. They could be put up against walls and floors to make air cushions for teammates, or stuck on the walls of the enemy base to slow their chasers. Lotsa stuff.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
so when you put 400 of these around your flag....?

nice idea, but i cant see them being deployable. i like the general idea though.

oath2link

interesting, and i like the gun idea. but would they would obviously dissipate, so how long would they last? also, if shot from the gun, what would happen if they hit a person directly? **cough cough teleport? cough cough**

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
actually, it would be very interesting to have a weapon that sucks objects towards the point of impact of the shot.
Sorta like anti-knockback.

Very difficult to balance though

I suggested a weapon like this many moons ago. I called it a Graviton Rifle which sucked anything near the beam towards it. Since it would be used to slow cappers, it would essentially be a long range ELF gun.

Gravity wells were also suggested in one form or another back in a vehicles thread long ago. The idea was that some vehicles would have shield-like mechanisms that would repel fire by absorbing it while others would have deflector shields (or essentially gravity wells) (the general idea was that aerial vehicles would have deflectors and ground vehicles would have health shields). A direct hit would punch through, but it would deflect most shots. Of course, this was also before the new arsenal came out. Skybolts would make deflector shields on vehicles easy enough to punch through now though. Of course, there is still the lack of vehicles ;) Not to mention the balance problems you run into.

Let's say that three people put their wells in the same spot to repel fire around the flag and then hunker there. Incoming fire to dislodge them will be largely negated while they could still fire normally. I don't think that gravity wells should be deployables. Maybe on vehicles or static map objects (would be cool if there was a black hole like object a few meters across the middle of a map that would bend fire towards it. Bending would be easy enough with projectiles, but what about players? If you can bend the path of a bullet that is traveling many hundred m/s noticeably, what is it going to do to a person in a metric ton or so of armor? They'll never escape is what'll happen.