Flag Movement

Frost

It's really easy to predict how the flag is going to move, especially when an incoming capper tosses it from far away which leads to a high percentage of interceptions. I'm not claiming that interceptions are bad, but I think it should require a bit of an extra level of skill.

My suggestion is somewhat complicated, it actually comes from the ipod game baseball superstars 2011. For those that know it, the superhero pitchers throw the ball and it follows predetermined pathways, such as moving up and down multiple times.

I think it would be somewhat interesting if this could be implemented in legions some how, even if its something like a curved throw (like how you throw a Frisbee to curve around things).

For keybindings I think that q (if default) would be the normal throw, q + 1 for a curve, q + 2 for vertical movement, and q +3 for horizontal movement.

I don't know anything about coding or how this would work so if possible, try not to call me an idiot.

Note: The flag would still follow it's path as if you had thrown it without the additional movements, just somewhere along it's path (after a few seconds) it would start zigzagging or curving. Basically I mean it still goes from point A to point B (B being the location it would have landed prior to adding in movement.)

Another option is treating the movement like how clusters or special weapons are treated (holding something down and releasing for a movement of the flag for a predetermined number of seconds)

Lastly, three flag movement quick chats (curve, vertical, horizontal) for those people that will QQ about it being harder for your own team to catch.

That's all, feel free to comment/discuss, try to keep the flaming and trolling down to a minimum.

Edit: For those that need an explanation for everything, I came up with the idea that the flag can have a mechanism similar to the cluster (I guess it would have jets) that would allow you to choose which motion you wanted before throwing it.

Speaking as someone who plays at 300 ping, Ordinary parabola's can be hard enough. Depending on how fast vertically it is moving, I have to aim anywhere between 3 bodylengths above or below the flag to catch it.

Propkid

Ping will drop for pretty much everyone once player-hosted servers will come out, so it shouldn't be an argument in here.
I call for a simpler solution that will add more depth to the game and make flag passes more challenging:

A 'catch' button. Can be pressed once every ~3 seconds, when you press it both of the flags become interactive for about 0.5s. This means that when you are not in the state of flag interaction the flag just goes through you, just like the flags go through each other. Works both for grabbing and returning your flag.

I know that this suggestion is a + for the top-end players and a - for the newbloods but I'm just sharing my idea. Don't assume that I'm greatly hyped about it or anything.

Frost

Ping will drop for pretty much everyone once player-hosted servers will come out, so it shouldn't be an argument in here.
I call for a simpler solution that will add more depth to the game and make flag passes more challenging:

A 'catch' button. Can be pressed once every ~3 seconds, when you press it both of the flags become interactive for about 0.5s. This means that when you are not in the state of flag interaction the flag just goes through you, just like the flags go through each other. Works both for grabbing and returning your flag.

I know that this suggestion is a + for the top-end players and a - for the newbloods but I'm just sharing my idea. Don't assume that I'm greatly hyped about it or anything.
That wouldn't really do anything, pressing a button to catch adds no skill to the game since it's easy to figure out the flag path, also, the flag already goes through you enough as it is, and it's still easy to catch.
Speaking as someone who plays at 300 ping, Ordinary parabola's can be hard enough. Depending on how fast vertically it is moving, I have to aim anywhere between 3 bodylengths above or below the flag to catch it.
You can't really have your main argument as having 300+ ping, because maybe 1 in 20 people get 200+ ping on all servers.

I lol'd at "q+1 for a curve." Nonetheless, you are not an idiot. I don't know how this would be looked into, but it would be interesting to see how it would be implemented.

Frost

I lol'd at "q+1 for a curve." Nonetheless, you are not an idiot. I don't know how this would be looked into, but it would be interesting to see how it would be implemented.
Fine q+2-4 lol, I realized how awkward it would be to press q and 1 but was too lazy to change it

Propkid

Meh ok if not catch then how about simply wind? A special HUD element would show the strength and direction... Curved throws seem to overdo it a little.

Frost

Meh ok if not catch then how about simply wind? A special HUD element would show the strength and direction... Curved throws seem to overdo it a little.
I'm not sure why you keep trying to change the idea and add your own in, did you even read the opening post? Onto your post, what exactly do you expect the wind to do, move the flag slightly in one direction? You are talking about a rather large metal pole. Even if the pole is somehow very light, adding a realistic factor like blowing wind into legions would be a pretty large task I'm assuming.
Like golf winds blow ------>
hole <---------
There's a difference between wind affecting a golf ball, and wind affecting a metal stick.

Propkid

I'm not sure why you keep trying to change the idea and add your own in, did you even read the opening post?
I don't like the original idea so I'm proposing something simpler that also 'solves the issue' or if you prefer adds the same depth to the game.

There's a difference between wind affecting a golf ball, and wind affecting a metal stick.
There's a difference between making a good game and a realistic game.

Frost

I don't like the original idea so I'm proposing something simpler that also 'solves the issue' or if you prefer adds the same depth to the game.

There's a difference between making a good game and a realistic game.
So state your position and state why, or feel free to make a new thread with your idea. This is a thread to a) put the idea out there and b) discuss it. That doesn't mean it's to ignore it and change the idea

Frost

No matter what the outcome of the pointless argument ....the flag will either be caught,dropped or returned.
I'm not sure what the point of that statement is....

Anyways, so on to some actual discussion of the idea...for those who actually read the post.

Propkid

This is a thread to a) put the idea out there and b) discuss it.
c) improve on it/propose alternatives that provide the same 'gameplay features'. (in a less complicated and a more sense making manner)
IMO you've pointed out a problem, the flag being too easy to catch. Then you've proposed an overly complicated solution that doesn't exactly make sense (read later). IMO these suggestion threads are there primarily for us to give the developers new ideas and show how we like them; ie. give them our feedback. My feedback here is: this is too complicated, but it'd be nice to add some more challenge to the flag passes so let's have ****** instead. I am in no way ignoring the idea, but I am free to propose an alternative ;p.

Now if you want some feedback yourself on that idea:

(curve, vertical, horizontal)
Explain those movements in detail. At the moment I only understand the curve, but horizontal and vertical... if you want the flag to fly vertically why not just throw it up into the air above you? And I'm quite sure that you aren't proposing absolute horizontal movement so explain that.

Note: The flag would still follow it's path as if you had thrown it without the additional movements, just somewhere along it's path (after a few seconds) it would start zigzagging or curving. Basically I mean it still goes from point A to point B (B being the location it would have landed prior to adding in movement.)
How does a flag with an altered trajectory land in the same place as a flag with a normal trajectory? This is where your idea doesn't make sense. If you 'spin' a football (I'm talking European here ;p) it's trajectory is changed and it does not land in the same place as it would have if you kicked it normally.

Also, you do realise that a zigzagging or heck, even a barrel rolling flag would look insanely idiotic to a newcomer? I mean I'd laugh my ass off if one morning I started L:O up and saw the flag have more maneuverability that the legionairres themselves.