Elegiac and Skybolt Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noober

Elegiac is a very nice map and i hope it will be pushed live soon.
But i agree with propkid, the high towers where flag carriers camp is lamers magnetic.
One time someone ask me to stop rabbit on this map... but if the enemy flag carrier camp is not considered lammah i don't consider lammah rabbit.

RiPTaCk

Base design needs to be reworked in my opinion but I don't think this is doing to happen so I see this map joining the dark archives next to gorge,forgotten,mirage and blade run.

Regarding the Skybolt:

Great to see the new weapons make their appearance. Although, yeah. The skybolt is not without its problems right now. And I'm not talking about it being evidently overpowered.

The main thing I'm struggling with it this: it's boring. Not something that's easily balanced or easily fixed, I know. More than it doing too much damage, I think it has to do with the fact that it's such an utterly versatile weapon. It works just as well in chase as in close quarters, and you can boost yourself with it on routes as well. Oh, and it does combos. I found myself not switching to any other weapon for the entire length of the game, just because there was no need. This mid-air rifle does everything. It's not fun enough: it's simply a more versatile and (at the moment) a more destructive version of the rocket launcher.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's a pretty serious issue. What exactly is the purpose of this weapon supposed to be? Can we focus it more? How can we make it... interesting?

There's also some minor bugs and rough edges to the execution. Firstly, I'm sure you noticed that sometimes the explosion graphics do not render. I don't know if the explosion still does any damage, but it occurred to me a good couple of times.

Also, the effects could definitely use some tweaking. They look extremely fuzzy and cloudy at the moment. . It's very hard to see -exactly- where the head of the projectile is, especially at long range and shallow angles. This seems odd, because the weapon is supposed to be sharp and focussed and direct and all that. It just goes damn fast, so it needs a very clear effect.

Oh, and I'm not sure the phrase 'dose of metal rations' would pass the Zhou Yu test of excellent English. Seeing as a ration is defined as a fixed amount of a commodity, and a dose is defined as... a fixed amount of a commodity. But you know, I'm being pedantic. And loving it.
It's really good that you guys are trying to give it more focus with this update. You guys are thinking in the right direction. From the few pubs I've had today I think it's not overpowered any more, but I've got to say that in my opinion it's still not interesting to play with. It's still... not any fun. I asked around the server and everyone seemed to agree with that. What do people think here?

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Regarding the Skybolt:

It's really good that you guys are trying to give it more focus with this update. You guys are thinking in the right direction. From the few pubs I've had today I think it's not overpowered any more, but I've got to say that in my opinion it's still not interesting to play with. It's still... not any fun. I asked around the server and everyone seemed to agree with that. What do people think here?

Perhaps adding a squealing pig sound to the gun's projectile would make it more fun.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
Perhaps adding a squealing pig sound to the gun's projectile would make it more fun.
HEY! I DO NOT SQUEAL!

I think that the Skybolt needs a more resounding sound when it fires. Sometimes it feels kinda boring when it hits the ground with a *whoosh* as opposed to a *BOOM*

Armageddon

Teapot
elekyak is much better now. The high slide made it easy to OD grab climb up the slide and jet 300+ mph back to the base way too easy. now with slides nerfed and a few hills changed i think it's a much more solid map. It's Still no frostbyte but it's getting close.

Xtreme

shaska's bff
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what radiofriendly is trying to say is that the skybolt doesn't make much of an addition or contribution to the game since it's so versatile and since it's not aimed at the completion of any one specific ctf objective in particular. It's as if you have a bowl of red apples and you start adding green apples; they're still apples. I've said this on IRC and I'm saying it here too: scrap the skybolt and just increase the rocket's projectile speed by 20%.

Synista

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what radiofriendly is trying to say is that the skybolt doesn't make much of an addition or contribution to the game since it's so versatile and since it's not aimed at the completion of any one specific ctf objective in particular. It's as if you have a bowl of red apples and you start adding green apples; they're still apples. I've said this on IRC and I'm saying it here too: scrap the skybolt and just increase the rocket's projectile speed by 20%.

That's boring. I like the SkyBolt!

Noober

XtremeSpeed, the RL discs are fast enough... it's pretty easy do nice mid air for new noob/med player like me, otherwise chaingun it would become very less useful in chase.

I think that improve the RL speed it's equivalent to make a powerful and more splashing skybolt :/

MJ1284

Base design needs to be reworked in my opinion but I don't think this is doing to happen so I see this map joining the dark archives next to gorge,forgotten,mirage and blade run.
Funny, 3/4 maps you listed are Large Maps (Gorge feels roughly same size as Frosty)... coincidence much?

When rabbiting becomes more tempting due to map design it also loses much of it's appeal. Maybe devs should do something about large maps? Like, tweak movement speed or regenerate or jet energy (ie. tweak map's "gravity").

Status
Not open for further replies.