Duel Mod

Calimo

Hopefully no one already suggested this, and I'm not completely blind at reading the forums...

Is there any chance at some point after Legions is released... We could get something like the classic duel mod for tribes?

It can be tough dueling someone on a public server. And even if private servers are allowed, the ping difference can make the duels very one sided.

poiuyt580

Yeah, I guess this would work. There could be duel only servers, and if there's a voting system implemented, the CTF and DM servers can't be voted into a duel one.

Kissyface_r0x

Private Tester
1v1 Dueling just isn't a realistic skill in legions. So, since this type of dueling system would be relatively complicated, it would be best for the community and the devs to just focus on the other aspects of the game. If you really want to duel then give it a shot, by all means (I never really had tooo many problems with doing it in pubs anyways..) but I dont think you should expect accommodations in this area, at least not in the near future, while other more important aspects must be worked on.

Calimo

1v1 Dueling just isn't a realistic skill in legions. So, since this type of dueling system would be relatively complicated, it would be best for the community and the devs to just focus on the other aspects of the game. If you really want to duel then give it a shot, by all means (I never really had tooo many problems with doing it in pubs anyways..) but I dont think you should expect accommodations in this area, at least not in the near future, while other more important aspects must be worked on.

I can understand your point that it can be seen as not being a realistic skill in legions. But Legions can also be game for personal enjoyment. And personally I enjoy 1v1 dueling sometimes for the fun of it. And I know it was a semi-popular mod in tribes for people in-between competitions (at least the people I would play with)

About public server - I know there would be times when I was playing with a group of friends or people dueling in a public game... and someone would come in and quite frankly ruin it for us. Or people would deliberately get in the middle of the duel because it was not the game type of the server we were currently playing on (CTF or DM). Granted you can kill them but... it can get irritating after awhile if the person or persons are persistent.

I'm not asking for a duel mod to come out soon after Legions is released. I understand that the majority/all of the community wants many other things to come out first. And I personally have no problem with waiting (I expect it, honestly). It would just be nice to see it at some point as a way to get away from the standard CTF or DM modes we all play and enjoy.

Jazcash

I'm sure Legions could be tweaked to suit Duel nicely. And maps wouldn't be very big so wouldn't take long to make. I'd like this.

Tribes 1, Tribes 2, and Tribes Vengeance both failed on dueling.
T:1=Spinfuser spam 90% health damage.
T:2=Mortar *lady friends* in almost 99% of games you play.
T:V= Chaingun+SpeedPack=complete ownage.

Legions was actually pretty fair in dueling since you were able to maneuverer much easier compared to the Tribes series.

(I hated T:2...I REALLY REALLY DID, you needed almost all supply of energy to get 2 feet off of the ground, it was sad)

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Seymour would enjoy a Duel server (even a Duel Tournament server). They can be relaxing, and a nice way to practice individual skills.

I'd quite like a duel or duel tourney mod.
What I wouldn't get, is if you're doing a duel tourney, would the computer pick your duelling partner, and make everyone duel each other person once?

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
I really loved the duel mod in T1. Helped create the Dual Duel mod and Arghs and Lestats revamped version. We kinda merged the two in the end but damn it was so fun. I bet that server is still one of the most popular; I should go back and say hi.

On topic...unfortunately making something that extensive will have to wait quite a while. Legions has many other holes that need filling first, but I really hope to bring this out eventually.

loc

#1 Private Tester
Yes indeed DG,Arghs duel mod is pretty active these days and is pretty damn fun indeed!

Alex

I remember dueling was a very important part of legions even if it was "improvised"...newby clans did this alot,1 member of each clan dueled another usualy the cocky leaders..and i even remember some players that made special rules for dueling...

warker

I'd also like to see a Duel Mod, I know it will take some time but it will be refreshing to have another game style other than CTF and DM

n33d 4 w33d

I would love a Duel mod like the classic one from Tribes. That was one of my favorite Mods to play on, and I could spend hours especially when there are good players in the server. I endorse this idea 110%!!

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
maybe having a server that acts like an in game lobby with unlimited health to practise skills such as skiiing (with limits on OD and something to show when you should have received wall damage and maybe a holo-falg to capture), or a place to just chill and chat,

This place would allow you to initiate a duel by throwing a certain object at the player/shooting them with a certain gun or even typing in a command.

this could send a request which would put them in a specified dueling arena which could either be an area with very high walls/the honeycomb or an area built inside the map. sort of like a coliseum. other players could be notified of this and either moved or given an icon on their HUD where they can watch the battle (without interfering with it).

or it could just make the two players unable to other players on the server.

these "dueling/practise" maps could really help clans practise strategy and fighting, even sometimes allowing the odds to be uneven or grouped duels.
its also a nice way for the community to get to know each other while playing in game.

.... i really should have made this into my own thread XD

3lionz

Legions Developer
On a sub-note on 7 Fissurez Post, It would be awesome if duels could take place in a custom rules lobby. (ie. values of gravity, health and damage can be decided before, or during game depending on type.).
Might be a little complicated to ask for custom made maps though :D