Dodge Core overuse.

Maxter

While it seems that a number of people are liking and getting used to the Dodge core, the reason for that is obviously not just because you can just dodge with this core.

Contrary to what it's only supposed to do, i.e. acting like a teleport or a blink and moving people out of the way, it's greatly used to return flags or grab flags, turn oneself into a human bulldozer and run over people, and make oneself invincible for a small period of time slightly before and after transforming into the white sphere.

I've been playing HoF or just heavy in general these past few days, and I felt like my job was stolen. For me, there was absolutely no point anymore to go heavy with an OD core because an Outrider is now able to do a better and a more efficient job at quick returning, grabbing in midair and capturing the flag.

It's not that I have a problem with it personally. It's just that it has way too many uses coupled with what it's supposed to do without any drawbacks or limitations.

My suggestion for the core:
- Remove God mode from the core. You get hit with a rocket, grenade or anything, you get damage.

- Remove flag grabbing capability. You simply cannot grab the flag when using the dodge core. You can ofcourse grab the flag normally and then dodge, but that's it. This way there will be no white spheres grabbing or returning flags. You can also dodge while holding the flag.

- Remove bulldozer ability. No damage to either parties if a player collides with another player while using dodge core.

- Add vertical dodge. Since the Dodge core user is now vulnerable to damage, I suppose the player should atleast have access to dodge in any direction he wants. I am unsure how this particular property will affect the game though.
and/or
- Add a better bounce effect. Consider the white sphere to be capable of bouncing in an angle equal to the angle of entry to the wall. For example, 45 degrees angular hit to the wall propels the player an extra 10m distance after hitting the wall in 45 degrees. This should make for some interesting wall dodging.

These are my proposed properties which I feel that the Dodge could carry. Regardless though, the first three properties that I requested to remove should definitely be removed. The core is a Dodge and I don't see any reason for it to posses those three abilities.

Constructive feedback is welcome.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
actually, i agree with this.

the dodge core should at least go through people when being used, i would also like it to dodge in the direction the user is facing, rather than the buttons pressed.

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
i would also like it to dodge in the direction the user is facing, rather than the buttons pressed.
Used to be like that, was near unanimously voted to be direction based, look based was just not useful in duels.

scoot

Invulnerability is bad. I think there should also be knockback if you are hit with an explosive mid-dodge. Otherwise it's impossible to stop cappers who are within dodge range of their flag.

Fixious

Test Lead
I'd agree that invulnerability is bad. I didn't know it was like that until recently. If you're hit while dodging you should receive damage, and nudged appropriately. However I like that it damages players. You have to be fairly precise with it. Its biggest use I've seen so far is for flag scrambles, where those with dodge have a fairly large advantage over everyone else. If anything we should start with giving it a longer cooldown and see how that works. I still haven't seen really anyone use EMP either, which could be pretty damn useful for flag scrambling.

If anyone in here is complaining about dodge cappers, then lol. Let them. They aren't going anywhere and only hurt your team's real cappers.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Speaking art wise, I still prefer the original dodge core art look. It was way cooler looking that the current blue one. (also too many cores are blue/green, so it looked better in terms of colour.

Maxter

If you Dodge in a direction and get hit while dodging(unlucky direct hits), you have to take damage. If you dodge to a location where projection splash occurred, you have to take damage at that instant. Currently, neither of these two happen.

Additionally, as I mentioned in my original post, the Dodge core user should not be able to grab/return the flag while dodging. This, in my opinion, just deteriorates overall gameplay, as it acts like a too easy a back door for e-grabs, returns or just field grabs.

Hopefully, changes will take place appropriately, adding more limitations to the core but not as many so as to make it completely useless.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
I agree with the invulnerability nerf, but not the removal of the ability to grab/return the flag while dodging. I think it's interesting to see chasers having to decide whether they want to be able to effectively catch a capper or having a better chance at getting returns. LO having it would mean that they need to give up regen/shield which are amazing cores in and of themselves.

Also I haven't seen people who are able to really effectively use the dodge core yet on a consistent basis. Also it adds smarter play into duels because both people need to predict when the other is going to shoot/dodge and it really turns into a chess game which I've always found very interesting. It's not like people who dodge are the end of the world. Rather, they are very vulnerable after they dodge and at the same time are easy to hit. You just need to adapt to new play styles rather than changing aspects of the game to make it easier for you to play. Dodge E-grabs? C'mon. Its not that serious. Just kill them. Honestly.

scoot

Dodge core does seem op in flag scrambles, but I don't think the solution is to remove the ability to grab/return the flag while dodging. The problem is still invulnerability and the lack of knockback while dodging.
Normally, if someone approaches the flag, you have a chance to shoot at them and knock them away. But this becomes impossible if the enemy receives no damage or knockback while dodging, and they basically teleport directly onto the flag.

Propkid

My take: remove invulnerability to damage (only) when dodging, decrease damage dealt by 50%, remove knockback when hit by a dodge core user and see if it's still OP.

Maxter

You just need to adapt to new play styles rather than changing aspects of the game to make it easier for you to play.
I have no problem with change, in fact I welcome it. I'm not the typical whiner who hates something because it makes it difficult to play and wants it gone no matter what. While I'm well aware that there are a number of players in our community who only care about the elements they use in the game, my feedback however, which covered almost all of the elements in game so far, i.e. every discussion I've been in and every Legions related thread I ever made since I joined this community, prove that I don't belong to such a category.

I only strive for balance in the game. While I concur that I may have my own version of game balance than anyone else, it still is balance. For example, the balance that I try to achieve for the cores is equal profit/loss ratio, i.e. each core carrying equal amount of advantages and disadvantages(not the number of advantages or disadvantages mind you, but the overall weight of each of them). No one core should stand out, no one core should feel underpowered or useless. When a player picks a core to be able to do something in-game, he should also be thinking on what he's missing out on, when he's leaving the others.

Currently, I don't see that happening when I compare Dodge with the others. If you noticed in my original post, while I proposed those limitations for the core, I also added what I feel could be added to the core to balance out those limitations. If I really only cared about the removal of certain aspects in the game for my personal gain, like you seem to imply, I wouldn't even have bothered typing all that, especially in point format. While I respect your opinion on the matter(I did ask for constructive criticism), I'm a bit saddened by your comment.

In any case, I'm done with this game, more or less. This'll be pretty much my last attempt at feedback here. I may pick it up and play after a few months, but for now, I'll be busy sorting out my life.