Download Docking HUD

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
-Preview-

Well, on the new IA forums, I had a thread going about a HUD I've been working on, but the site went down, leaving me with no thread. Well, in the interim, I have been working on it and while the HUD as a whole is not yet complete, I am working on it and will continue to do so.

The design of this HUD is to be as efficient as possible by using contrasting semi-transparent grayscale colors with one another to maximize visibility under all conditions while still leaving the area immediately surrounding the central dot clear to assist with fine aiming. both the health and energy bars become wider as the amount lowers, thereby helping to alert the player to the level it is currently at.

The name of this HUD comes from the way the sniper reticle interacts with the player indicators by "docking" with them when lined up properly (to better view many of the images, click and hold to drag them around your screen to better see them as white doesn't show up to well on white :p):

Flag: Carrier:
playerFlag.png

Normal:
playerIcon-2.png

And as for the reticles:

Sniper:
SniperReticle_NoZoom.png

Chaingun:
ChaingunReticle01-1.png

Rocket Launcher:
RocketReticle01.png

Grenade Launcher:
MortarReticle01.png

Because this is a HUD and not just an icon/ret set, there will also be a health/energy bar set to go along with it. The following is a rough simulation of what the top of the screen would look like in-game.

Picture21.png

Please note that none of the above are necessarily complete, hence why there is currently no download button and are subject to change.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Credits-
Preview's Healthbars: Xelioth
Blue Allies: Rockey Rex
Preview's Red Sniper Beam: Masterluso

masterluso

At first I was like "omg those rets are awesome"
Then I was like "lolwut I have credit for something?"
And then I was like "oh, there must be a sniper beam in the preview(which I had not previously looked at)"
After I looked at it I was like "wtf u don't snipe with a grenade launcher"
But then I was like "OHHHHHHHHHHHH, THE BEAM IS THERE, I GET IT NAO"
And then I was like *posting*

Well, that got slightly sidetracked. I don't care so much for the HUD-piece or bars, but the rets are awesome and the icons are cool.

masterluso

The bars are nowhere close to done and will end up being much more streamlined than they are now
Then I cant wait to see them. :D

Now that I've had a chance to try what you have so far out, I have some feedback.

The rets work well overall, but the chaingun and grenade have some alignment issues when switching between the first and second ret(overheat and cluster). The rets shift a pixel or two when they change. Also, I see your goal with the sniper ret, but the thing on top is a little awkward.

Second, and probably more important, is that the flag carrier and regular icons are way too similar. When I joined the game, the first thing I saw looked like a flag carrier. When it died, I was shocked that it didn't drop a flag.

Third, and least important, is that the chaingun and regular player icon names are wrong(they have a -1 and a -2 on the end, respectively).

/feedback

*proceeds to retfixing attempt*

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I've been playing with those reticles and haven't noticed any shifting, but I'll double check. The reticles are not necessarily complete anyways, but are the furthest along.

I know they are similar, but it is difficult to make the mesh properly with the LR's reticle. I do have another idea that I may use to replace the regular icon that should work.

and what do you mean by the chaingun and player icon names?

masterluso

Mmk. After posting that I started questioning whether or not you were releasing the rets or just giving a preview. If it was the latter, then I stole them and tried them anyway. What resolution do you play at? I play in the max my screen allows, and I noticed a one pixel shift. You may not have noticed it because you play at a lower resolution. I think this is a possibility, i may just be rambling though.

Also, if these were intended to be a preview, then its okay, but the file names for the chaingun and regular player icons had a -1 and a -2 on the end, so I had to change the file name to use them.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I play at widescreen by simply maximizing the window.

Yes they are previews. That is why I only have pics and not a .7z ...

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
The point of the so-called feather is the place from which the HUD gets its name. The sniper reticle "Docks" with the enemy icons, and while I don't snipe too much, when I used it, the lines aren't obvious enough to really cause any problems. They are thin enough that you can still easily look beyond them but if you acknowledge their presence, you can use them to line up a shot...

skypredator

I see. But still, the first weapon I used in Legions was the LR. I find that I'm looking at the target more than the reticle (like in Combat Arms; aTastyCookie taught to do this when flash-scoping), and so perhaps it would do you good to make a reticle in the shape of a "+" and the lines converging on one spot with a dot in the middle. If the lines become narrower as they move toward the center, it attracts the sniper's line of sight to the target.