Competition, What do we wanna do?

ContingencyPl4n

Elite Pro Mapmaker
I received this from Dimitryy earlier today, and Id thought I would share it:

Dimitryy said:
when BFCL shut down, team In7 started a new league, but after 3 weeks, legions went down ....

http://legionswll.hyperphp.com/index.php?l=2&s=3
xzanth made the website (but it has to many advertisements) and was a failure....

we made it to have some kind of league where the teams that still were playing could match each other, but than team rev. died and some others stopped playing too. (null, vV 57th ...) and only 5 teams or so were left ...

would be nice to start it again when legions is back with enough teams.

team In7 started it but we dont want to run it alone ...

It would be nice to have the leader of each team and the private testers as WLL admins to decide the rules together .... should be similar to BFCL rules, with some changes.....

Would be nice to get something running at the right time.
Edited it for better English :p

This got me thinking. What are we gonna do? What do we wanna do? How are we gonna do it?

Now before we begin, I have no idea what the Dev team plans for comp play, servers, all that stuff, but we as a community could do this as they develop the game.

We have had 4 attempts at this in the past:
-ELL
-BFCL
-WLL
-(Some other website that sported Tribes as well.)
-OFF NOTE: There was even an attempt at a monthly Tourney by Blitz.

These all (Save ELL) had the flaw of legions simply falling flat after BFCL and it wasn't fun, but with new life, comes a new beginning... Personally I liked the way ELLs website was, Legions only, Showed a lot of info, and possible growth. I also liked how BFCL ran. With each team requiring to play every week, to keep it going. I was thinking 0f a hybrid. The ELL website, statistics, and layout, with BFCLs push for playing teams at regular intervals.

I also want to express great interest in scrims. Scrims were always fun, and had me playing with the team I've been apart of almost since my finding out of Legions. Actively looking for scrims would be what I hope for. I think some of the reason was because teams didn't wanna lose. That shouldn't be the case. Scrims are to learn and test out things. If we push for fun scrims, I think, it would bring about a more fun experience to the game.

Scrims don't always need to be against other teams, either. Id like to see teams vs pugs. Most likely the pug will lose, but take it, as a regular scrim, as a learning experience. It is the actual tournaments that are 'official' that matter, not scrims. Don't be afraid to play a team, or to be on a team and play a few randoms.

So what do people say? How will we do this? Who? When?

Myself? Wait a month or two to see where the game goes, what is added, then start competition up. It also gives us ample time to recruit people, and get a site going.

Dacil

Personally I liked the way ELLs website was, Legions only, Showed a lot of info, and possible growth. I also liked how BFCL ran. With each team requiring to play every week, to keep it going. I was thinking 0f a hybrid. The ELL website, statistics, and layout, with BFCLs push for playing teams at regular intervals.

I also want to express great interest in scrims.

I definitely want as what you called a hybrid between ELL and BFCL. The push to get teams playing at regular intervals will keep things fun. As for scrims, they definitely are a great learning opportunity, and until I figure out what I'm doing competitively or what team I want to ask about, regular PUGs with mixed teammates would be very useful for me personally (hopefully I make it on a team before legions comes out)

Setting up this hybrid you suggest would take a lot of effort and organization, and I'm willing to help with organization, but who out there would like to lead it!? Any ideas for who would or volunteers yet!?

CapnSlaps

I say... Who? everybody
When? everyday
How? ALL OUT WAR.

Aside from me being retarded ^ I think you answered the question nicely just there:

Myself? Wait a month or two to see where the game goes, what is added, then start competition up. It also gives us ample time to recruit people, and get a site going.

Mabeline

God-Tier
I think the effort would probably be best spent on arranging one off community events and pickups rather than trying to manage a competitive community with less than a dozen teams.

Novaz

I think waiting at least a month should be necessary... Because everyone needs to get organized, find out the better players in their clan, recruit, etc.

Dacil

I think waiting at least a month should be necessary... Because everyone needs to get organized, find out the better players in their clan, recruit, etc.

seriously!? please read.... and I quote...

post something about what you want, not about how we shouldn't be talking about it now...talking about it now doesn't hurt...thank you.

Mabeline

God-Tier

Not trying to be overly negative, I just meant to say that I think as far as effort vs positive effects that holding things like noobie pickups, tournaments, shoutcasts, etc are far better than competition has ever been. They require less commitment (therefore have a lower entry bar) and don't rely on a more finished game with enough nuances to actually be interesting in comp.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Personally, Seymour would like to see serious competition held off until the game's closer to completion. I remember so much anger (and seriousness) over matches in the past; Which were mostly a result of the game being unfinished.

I'd agree with Seymour and Mabel.
For most players, PUG's are considered much more "fun" games, as people aren't super serious, don't spend a week doing nothing but finding weaknesses in the opposing teams tactics, and it doesn't matter to most people if they win or lose, so long as they had fun.
Also, we should remember that the original purpose of PUG's is a Pick Up Game, designed to find new talents for the clans, and help players become familiar with the rest of the community. Since it's been such a long time since we last played, and many old players have left/new players have arrived, most people won't necessarily be able to apply for the clan that they would most be suited in.

My suggestion is stick to pugs and other one-off comps until the game is more completed, and people know each other better.

Dacil

Dacil, you and I both know that a few of those are disorganized, might not even play in competition, or are legitimate for the moment.
this is true, but i like giving the benefit of the doubt...im an optimist, i can't think any different...and mabeline is right in that it is less commitment, and for the age group i'm seeing they probably can't handle it, but i know im very commited and can handle helping contingency if he wants help organizing...so thats all for now!

Novaz

this is true, but i like giving the benefit of the doubt...im an optimist, i can't think any different...and mabeline is right in that it is less commitment, and for the age group i'm seeing they probably can't handle it, but i know im very commited and can handle helping contingency if he wants help organizing...so thats all for now!

I'm thirteen... I can handle stuff :(.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Dacil is Seymour's ray of sunshine, an optimist in pessimistic times!

Now, while Seymour's not currently a big fan of serious competition, I don't want people thinking that I'm against serious competition in the future. I'd love to see some sort of official league integrated into the L:O client and website. Being able to bring up real time scores, ladder statistics, etc all from within the game client and website would be awesome.

With that said, that's a dream I'd like to see further down the road. For now, I'm content on seeing this game completed and become a worthwhile product.

Buhlitz

I think the effort would probably be best spent on arranging one off community events and pickups rather than trying to manage a competitive community with less than a dozen teams.

I agree. I think having regularly scheduled, and well organized PUG's with a large monthly tournament would be more fun. Nothing is stopping teams from playing each other once the game comes out.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Once the game has been up and there have been a few more competition-ready clans (my goal for DFC is to get it competition ready, I just need 3 or 4 more players to get a full team.) The other thing is, we now have this site, Legions Overdrive. This site can become the clan organizational site. Since online registration is necessary, it is possible to have clan support, with people stating that they are in a certain clan, the clan leader gets asked, and then the leader can either accept or deny the person. Or, it could be an invitation system, where players get an invitation from the clan leader to join, and then they can accept or decline. Then, players get a tag on their name for the clan they are in.

The clans can be tracked and eventually tournaments can start and such. Obviously, fun scrims and PUG vs. Clan games could go down before any form of regulated tournaments and such. There could even be a system where everybody plays each other for a 'season' and wins and losses get tracked, and then there's a post-season with a wild card and such. Obviously the first few post-seasons would be dominated by the older and more prestigious clans. Seasons shouldn't last too long though, of course, only about 1-1.5 months with the remainder of the half month being the post season games. Obviously, this stuff shouldn't happen until the game has been smoothed out and possibly wait for a few releases before implementing this, though clan support itself could be started before regulated competition.