Community Book Recommendations Thread

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
Bump cause this thread is awesome.

Also, just finished Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller and it was stellar, check it out if you like comic books and/or Batman.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
...his story of a young boy growing up in a world where the night is haunted by demons and humanity hides itself indoors to await the coming of the sun is fantasy simplicity at some of its most enjoyable. His characters can at times fill you with awe, revulsion, pride, and contempt, and at least for me, it's pretty dancing rare for an author to be able to play with my emotions so effortlessly.

Sounds like Minecraft :p. In all honesty, I read the Name of the Wind (as per the suggestion) in 2 days (~730 page book)and absolutely loved it. It was a brilliantly woven book, and I sure as hell cannot wait for the second one. I recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy.

I'm going to read the Way of Kings next.

PuppyGuard

Silicone Embrace.
Yes, the aliens are among us, and they have been for thousands of years. The fractionalization of the U.S., including a second Civil War, has resulted in the world of 2017 resembling John Carpenter's Escape from L.A., complete with megalomaniac warlords and ex-military commandos. Caught on the wrong side of the California border, Quinn Helden, a young alternative media journalist, and his crew join forces with a vet who has held his complex against the barbarian forces. When they escape, they stumble across the new Area 51, the secret agency working with the aliens to announce themselves to the world, as well as announce the evil aliens. But in true paranoid X-Files fashion, the agency isn't what it seems to be, nor are the aliens, nor is our hero, Quinn.

JF_097

Halo: The Fall of Reach - Eric Nyuland <best one of all Halo books

Metro 2033 - Dmitry Glukhovsky

Jordahan

I just picked up Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk, I loved the movie and usually the book is better than the movie. I have high hopes for this book, quite excited to read it.

Armageddon

Teapot
The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection From The Undead.

The Zombie Survival Guide is your key to survival against the hordes of undead who may be stalking you right now. Fully illustrated and exhaustively comprehensive, this book covers everything you need to know, including how to understand zombie physiology and behavior, the most effective defense tactics and weaponry, ways to outfit your home for a long siege, and how to survive and adapt in any territory or terrain.Top 10 Lessons for Surviving a Zombie Attack 1. Organize before they rise! 2. They feel no fear, why should you?3. Use your head: cut off theirs.4. Blades don’t need reloading.5. Ideal protection = tight clothes, short hair.6. Get up the staircase, then destroy it. 7. Get out of the car, get onto the bike.8. Keep moving, keep low, keep quiet, keep alert!9. No place is safe, only safer. 10. The zombie may be gone, but the threat lives on. Don’t be carefree and foolish with your most precious asset—life. This book is your key to survival against the hordes of undead who may be stalking you right now without your even knowing it. The Zombie Survival Guide offers complete protection through trusted, proven tips for safeguarding yourself and your loved ones against the living dead. It is a book that can save your life

Just finished it a few days ago, humorous & helpful.

Sorry if there is another thread like this, but here goes nothing.

I like books, but it takes a special book to really get my interest. I just recently finished 18 books from my new favorite author Jim Butcher.

His first series I read was the Codex Alera series. The elements (air, water, metal, earth, fire, wood) have spirits in them, and people can communicate with these spirits . Picture Avatar the air bender for "adults". The story is in a mid evil like era, but there are hints that maybe this is actually in the future... and something might have happened to man before. It fallows a young man named Tavi, a boy who can't control any of these spirits, but he is very smart. Jim Butcher is a master at weaving stories together, you will switch from one character to the next and at the end everything will come together. I can guarantee that when you start the next book in the series, you will be amazed. It keeps getting better and better and you will get lost in his series. My friend who I got to read this has a new catch phrase every time I see him. "OH MY GOD!!"

The second series I read from Jim Butcher is the Dresden Files. It fallows a modern day wizard. This wizard is a smart ass like no other while facing what goes bump in the night. The first book was kind of slow, but I promise if you keep reading you will get hooked. The books have all kinds of stuff like , warlocks, warewolves, ghost, vampire, sexy fairy god mothers, sex vampires(adult books dammit), evil angels, and so forth and so forth. Trust me you will be entertained.

I highly highly recomend both series. I am into fantasy books so if you have any suggestions or you have read any of these series post your thoughts.

I am currently reading The Magicians by Lev Grossman, then The Gift by James patterson. After that I will probably finish the last 2 books of the Summoner series and I still havent finished the Erogon series... I read the first... keep reading the 2nd half way and get stuck at the part with the hot elf and the tree.... every dang time.

Tyvm for moving my post.

The summoner by Gail Z Martin was a great read. I have all 4 books, but I only read the 1st and 2nd so far.

This story fallows a prince who watches his father die before his eyes. He is thrown from his own kingdon with just a couple of trusted friends and fights for his life. He must now take back the throne to protect his people from the new evil king, his jack ass brother. Now throw in magic and you have yourself a great book. These books where very great reads.

DKnight556

I've just finished reading the Salvatore book series The Legend of Drizzt. I quite enjoyed it. It was not the best that I have ever read but it was still worth the time to read all of the series. It tends to move quickly but the fight scenes are very well written, but can be hard to follow.

My favorite book of all time would have to The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks. I love the way she writes and how vividly she describes the vast worlds she has created in her books. There are no major plot holes, plenty of action to keep my attention, and the story has a theme to it in the end.

Jordahan

Just started Reading Raymond Khoury's Templer Salvation. His writing is very similar to Dan Brown's if you enjoy it. (Personally I do, very much, so I find his writing quite good.)

Heartsong

I managed to start the Song of Ice and Fire series at such a time as the fifth book came out just as I was ready for it.

I really love how in depth the world building is as well as the general sense of OH GOD MINOR SPOILERS YOU MIGHT WANT TO IGNORE THIS: nobody ever wins.

I never found the books a chore to read, but I know that many people have a lot of trouble with them (especially with specific characters. I've been told by more than one person that they stopped reading because Sansa's chapters bored the crap out of them).

In my opinion, the characters are incredible. They have goals, ambitions and strengths but oh my god do they have weaknesses. Weaknesses that fit their characterization; weaknesses that feel real. I've never once read something from his stories and thought that it was out of character for the actor to do x. I've been angry, felt betrayed, and, occasionally, proud, but it always made sense in the context of the story.

The biggest problem with Martin is, as is well known, the time between the books. It makes sense, in a way. The characters have impossibly complex decisions to make and the reactions to these decisions must work in such a way that everyone's schemes (of which there are many) can be altered accordingly. Honestly, I'm not sure it can reach a satisfactory conclusion in 2 more books.