Can you recommend a good laptop?

That laptop looks very expensive for what it is. My laptop has beter specs and cost a bit more than half of that laptop.
512 MB for a GPU is pretty low, 1 GB should be the standard.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Seems that laptop that you linked is very expensive for one reason - look at how small the screen size is. 13.3 inch? That's pretty small and to fit an i7 in there is why it is so expensive. You want to be looking at a 15 "" screen size or even 17 "" (although battery life on that is *chocolate cookies*).

I would also recommend a desktop, or even building your own if you are rarely going to use the mobility that the laptop offers. This will save you lots of money and you will probably get better specs.

Royalty

The Aussie
Ok thanks for your opinions. I'm definitely getting a laptop though. Any recommendations you can make?

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cdetland.to?poid=2000016424

This is what I've got. It handles Tribes on max settings with a fraction of it's power. Unfortunately, the server I'm playing on apparently sucks (or the game itself does :p ) and I have a good deal of difficulty hitting anything because I get a terrible framerate. Once again though, not the fault of the laptop.

I've run late-game RTS's, 3D modeling programs, FPS's, development environments, and none of them cause the tiniest hint of lag, even when multiple iterations were running. I once had the debugger running for an RTS (late in the game) for a mod I was making, two windows of XSI (3D modeling program) running, not to mention my usual pandora/hulu running in the background. GIMP and Visual Studio Ultimate load quickly. It boots within about 30 seconds.

Intel i7
8GB RAM
72000 RPM HDD
12 cell battery (~3 hours of gaming; ~7-10 hours normal stuff)

Overall, it works very well for me.

EDIT: oh, and since I only have 500 GB on my harddrive, I have an external WD 2 TB 5400 RPM HDD as well.

Laptop HDD is for programs. WD HDD is for anything I seldom use. I still have plenty of space on my laptop's internal HDD though :)

This is what I've got. It handles Tribes on max settings with a fraction of it's power. Unfortunately, the server I'm playing on apparently sucks (or the game itself does :p ) and I have a good deal of difficulty hitting anything because I get a terrible framerate. Once again though, not the fault of the laptop.
Are you sure it's not your laptop? My laptop has almost the same specs, (most importanly the gpu and ram) and I have to switch the resolution to 1080 x 720 and everything on lowest settings to get a decent fps. And now I actually have a decent fps without lag.

Royalty

The Aussie

I've run late-game RTS's, 3D modeling programs, FPS's, development environments, and none of them cause the tiniest hint of lag, even when multiple iterations were running. I once had the debugger running for an RTS (late in the game) for a mod I was making, two windows of XSI (3D modeling program) running, not to mention my usual pandora/hulu running in the background. GIMP and Visual Studio Ultimate load quickly. It boots within about 30 seconds.

Intel i7
8GB RAM
72000 RPM HDD
12 cell battery (~3 hours of gaming; ~7-10 hours normal stuff)

Overall, it works very well for me.

EDIT: oh, and since I only have 500 GB on my harddrive, I have an external WD 2 TB 5400 RPM HDD as well.

Laptop HDD is for programs. WD HDD is for anything I seldom use. I still have plenty of space on my laptop's internal HDD though :)
So what frame rate do you get on Tribes, with max settings? Is all of the lag you mentioned only because of the server?

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
There is zero difference between lowest settings and max on my framerate. That combined with the fact that RTS's with thousands of units on max settings don't lag it, makes me fairly confidant the problem's not on my end.

Also, how do can you actually tell what your framerate is in tribes. I haven't seen an option for it...

There is zero difference between lowest settings and max on my framerate. That combined with the fact that RTS's with thousands of units on max settings don't lag it, makes me fairly confidant the problem's not on my end.

Also, how do can you actually tell what your framerate is in tribes. I haven't seen an option for it...
Fraps :p

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
... ... ... :(

Dropping settings to min and reducing resolution gave me a normal framerate. :oops: Now, I'm just curious, what the heck kind of computer is this meant to be played on on max graphics? Though Royalty, given how new mine is and I think it was around 1800, if you want to play T:A to the max and want it under 2k, you'll have to build it yourself.

RainPilot

stinky bear
Question: Why a laptop? My desktop computer has pretty nice wiring out the back is pretty portable. If you're that confident that you can haul your laptop around and get a decent wi-fi connection, than get a laptop. If you're going to be in your house, just get a desktop. Sure laptops are portable, but with all the awesome smartphones, they are pretty useless.