Better graphics ?

moronval

Private Tester
iirc legions' engine is capable of shaders of some sort, however anything past that is beyond me.

*chocolate cookies*. Am I thinking of Torque 3D? Ignore me, it's possible I'm remembering a tech demo of t3d.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
The only graphical complain I've ever had is the poly count on the jets. As is, they just seem really blocky. I'd think that we'd be fine with the poly count upgrade since I don't think it would affect the server any.

Aside from that, Legions is fine with me in the graphics department.

flickenmaste

The graphics are fine with me, if I am fine playing old tribes games then the graphics here don't bother me. It is possible the team could do a graphics update, but it would be better for them to focus on the bare essentials.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
I'm actually curious whether the engine can handle higher-resolution textures, i.e. on the weapons. I've been trying to open the dds files on my machine, but CS5 x64 doesn't like the nVidia plugin, for some odd reason. If someone knows the answer to this, please, enlighten! =)

I'm actually curious whether the engine can handle higher-resolution textures, i.e. on the weapons. I've been trying to open the dds files on my machine, but CS5 x64 doesn't like the nVidia plugin, for some odd reason. If someone knows the answer to this, please, enlighten! =)
Stupidly enough nVidia hasn't released 64-bit compatible plugin for DDS. But it will still work with the 32-bit verion.

Anyway, as far as I remember the player skins are 1024*1024 for example, as opposed to 512*512 for the weapons. So in theory it should support higher res textures. The question is, can the engine handle it? And, on a personal note, I'd think it's not worth it if something as obvious as the terrain textures are still only 128*128 or 256*256.

Siantlark

Yeah, you guys are completely right with focussing on gameplay. However, just to throw this in here: Why not go in the direction that most indie games go? Screw high-res textures, hugely detailed environments, soft shadowing and all that. Forget trying to polish Legions into being a realistic looking shooter. Instead, use a distinctive art style that looks interesting, yet is not very heavy.

Without overhauling the entire art direction you could achieve a lot with post-processing and shaders. The first thing that popped in my mind is cell shading. It would fit very well with the art direction for the weapons/characters. Take Warsow for example: its bright colours, cell shading and very polished art direction make sure it's visually pleasing, though extremely simple. Its geometry and model support is really not that different from Q3, yet it looks interesting. Gameplay isn't compromised by it, either.

Interesting Idea but I'm worried that it might be a too radical change in direction for Legions.

Also it will garner some complaints.

the biggest draw back for me is the depth of field issue, I MA'd a guy recently who looked a 2-3 meters away and the chat box said it was 11 meters, Mabel im sure will say nothing has changed but it seems worse than ever before how much of a spec on my screen players look like at only about 15 meters away........is there no way to to make it appear more realistic?

Poponfu

Lead Developer
the biggest draw back for me is the depth of field issue, I MA'd a guy recently who looked a 2-3 meters away and the chat box said it was 11 meters, Mabel im sure will say nothing has changed but it seems worse than ever before how much of a spec on my screen players look like at only about 15 meters away........is there no way to to make it appear more realistic?

Try this out by putting it in the console.. I think its alot better than the 115 max in the options box.

Code:
$Pref::Player::DefaultFov = 130;

(zoom in and out after to see it take effect )

FOV is a different issue to DOF, I am talking about how players appear smaller than they should even from a short distance away.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Which has actually nothing to do with DOF either. ;) And it's also not a graphics issue.

And yes, Leejunz' scale is still terribly *danced* up (there are several good posts in other threads on that very topic). No, it didn't get worse than before. No it's not really possible to fix that without a complete rewrite.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Yes, yes, and no. The latter because I have to practise fast reading and have to write a lot.

jojo88

I'm wondering since legions is no longer limited by a browser game construction, couldn't it have a bit more advanced graphics? Torque can do this better for sure -> Old demo
Multiple ground textures on one map, more game objects and water would definitely make overdrive cooler. :)
in my opinion legions is good how it is cz u have to think for the over 100's ping players i not 1 of them but if theres beter graphice there ping will go even higher therfor they might get sick and tired of having to shoot 10 seconds before some1 lands somewhere just to get close to htiing them

Disci

Old man
in my opinion legions is good how it is cz u have to think for the over 100's ping players i not 1 of them but if theres beter graphice there ping will go even higher therfor they might get sick and tired of having to shoot 10 seconds before some1 lands somewhere just to get close to htiing them

Not the case with graphics. Ping is related to your connection and where you live and where you play.

Velocity

I was going to write a LOOOOOOONG rant about latency, and how you don't understand it at all. But I decided to take a different route, and say... "Ping is not determined by graphics."

Edit: Disci, you ninja'd me.

Also, sorry but I like the graphics of legions, I'd have to buy a new graphics card if it gets better :( I would it too, but I also would not like it to.

Defender

I like the older looking graphics, there not that bad. I would like more graphics options in the prefs.. like being able to disable falling snow or rain..
If we ever get dedicated server hosting options for us players, and let us players make are own clientside maps, textures. I think we would see some cool looking maps and textures used in them. One more thing, will this game ever be allowed to be modded like tribes?

Daphinicus

Private Tester
One more thing, will this game ever be allowed to be modded like tribes?

Right now there are security concerns with releasing the editor. Dedicated servers are another beast altogether, so I'll let someone more familiar with them respond.