Backward camera.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I was watching phan's Midair video earlier, and I thought, they guys getting midaired don't know if anyone is following them, and if so, how far behind.

To combat this, I thought of a backward camera so the capper can see whatever is behind him, i.e. chasers. Much like the Car games, where you can see the cars that are following you. This might make the chasers be sightly disadvantaged though. Tell me what ya think.

57thRomance

This ain't Need for Speed, bub. Just bring up your mouse speed so you can take quicker glances behind you. Maybe even learn to ski backwards if you have to so you can get some shots at your chasers, but make sure you don't jeopardize your speed. If worse comes to worse, hopefully your team will have enough common sense to send a guy out there to "usher" you back to base or grab the flag if you die.

Propkid

I suggested this on the old IA forums, though I wanted it to be a part of the HUD activated by a button, not a full change of POV. Think of all the advantages like skiing backwards and chaining away at your chase... Hope it catches on.
+1

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Dunno bout you guys, but I like the idea. If I'm going 200+ on zenith and turn around for a quick second, I usually lose my forward momentum.

Exactly! It is very useful for that purpose! After all, I can ski backwards, but as said here, I tend to lose speed which is exactly what you don't want when being chased!

Frosted

If you are going 200 there is probably almost no chasers behind you the biggest place for capers to get hurt is coming in and out of a grab.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Hmm. I guess turning around isn't that hard to do, really, and if you really want to know if there's anybody behind you, they will anounce it themselves, what with all the bullets and explosions. If they are following you and you don't know they're there, then you shouldn't worry about them.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
If you are going 200 there is probably almost no chasers behind you the biggest place for capers to get hurt is coming in and out of a grab.

Evidently you have not played with Riptack.

Hmm. I guess turning around isn't that hard to do, really, and if you really want to know if there's anybody behind you, they will anounce it themselves, what with all the bullets and explosions. If they are following you and you don't know they're there, then you shouldn't worry about them.

Obviously, but you lose some forward motion, and it could perhaps be used to dodge those bullets and explosions.

We had this in tribes, im sure someone will script one later.

They better.

Annihilate

Evidently you have not played with Riptack.
Hah. But really even if you could see behind you theres not much chance of you avoiding someone who's good at chaining.

Think of all the advantages like skiing backwards and chaining away at your chase... Hope it catches on.
+1
You can already ski backwards and chain chasers..
And when are you gonna get time to look behind you on nivo or moon while on a route?

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
You can already ski backwards and chain chasers

AS I KEEP SAYING BECAUSE NO ONE CAN BE BOTHERED TO READ. Skiing backwards means that you lose some forward momentum, so therefore having the backward camera would help you keep speed!

And when are you gonna get time to look behind you on nivo or moon while on a route?

You're not? This is designed for bigger, 10 v 10 maps where chasing will be easier.

Dimitryy

+1

like this, and liked it when it was mentioned on the IA forum
i want a mirror to see behind me :) or to see forward if i ski backwards (for those who dont get it)

skypredator

why not turn around and press 's' or whatever key you use to move backwards?

Because you would slow down. I suggest a "Mirror" of sorts on the top bar of the HuD.

AS I KEEP SAYING BECAUSE NO ONE CAN BE BOTHERED TO READ. Skiing backwards means that you lose some forward momentum, so therefore having the backward camera would help you keep speed!

You're not? This is designed for bigger, 10 v 10 maps where chasing will be easier.

You can't fire backwards while jetting and looking forwards, even with a mirror. That being said, you wouldn't be able to use a mirror to fire at chasers. And even if you turned around, you would, as you already said, lose a lot of forward momentum. Meaning you'd get ground-pounded or chained, causing you to drop the flag. ;)

Edit: I like what you're saying, Rain. I find it slightly easier to focus on a target facing me when sniping, even if they are moving away from my position, because it fools me into thinking that the worst I could do is miss. Players coming towards you don't have the flag. Also, if we get a "mirror", you could turn around and fire at chasers without missing the next hill, since you would have the ability to see behind you.

RainPilot

stinky bear
If you have enough hangtime, you can quickly turn around and only lose some speed; but most of the time you have limited hang time due to snipers and chain. There are some very good chasers out there who can get stop people going 200+. A chaser can match the cappers speed easily with a properly placed rocket jump and an optional midair nade jump.

Also if I turn around to chain someone and I'm going 200+, I'll most likely miss the hill on my return route. Also, this would be useful if you have the flag and have less then 10% health because you'll know that there are chasers behind you and you need to throw it.

Propkid

Mirror is exactly what I suggested on the IA forum... I just thought it'd be really funny to have one that's just like the ones in cars only 'deployable' :D just seems a fun and useful idea. If not an exact mirror then simply a semi-transparent HUD element with a smaller FOV than the default player camera and with a slight left-right confusion (to make it more pro).