Aux Power

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
This is yet another idea I got while participating in another forum. If custom armor loadouts start carrying abilities that would require energy drain, I think one of the possible loadouts should be an Auxiliary Power module that would power these abilities. There would be a prerequisite of having two energy draining abilities before allowing Aux Power into the loadout. If the player is running one ability, then the Aux Power will get drained at the energy drain rate of that ability. If the player is running both abilities, then the drain rate is the sum of the two individual rates.

Before you all go balls to the wall about balance and OP, I've got one more thing, and then you can go all out shouting "OP!" In order to get two abilities, the player creating their custom loadout must give up a weapon. They would spend 'points' that could have gone towards a weapon towards getting another ability. Having the two abilities would then make Aux Power available and free, having a zero point cost, but having the prerequisite of having two energy draining abilities.

Considering you'd only be able to carry one core at a time, how could you meet the "prerequisite of having two energy draining abilities"? Can you explain that a bit more for me?

Personally, I'd just prefer an energy core that increases regen rate (i.e. for jets and energy weapons) passively, and perhaps has some kind of active mode as well. (possibles might be Boost like in T:V, although I suspect would be OP in Legions; AOE +Energy regen rate, so you can fly alongside someone who doesn't have an e-core, and is running a long-hop route (i.e. huge distances between hills); Boosted energy regen again for a few seconds, which might give you that extra hovering time you need to win that duel; maybe have a passive energy capacity increase, with an active energy regen increase).

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
What I'm talking about is if there are things like cloaking and damage reduction shields available to players in the future. Both of those abilities would consume energy. Most players would probably have two weapons and either cloaking or damage reduction. If a player just has one of those abilities in their loadout, then the energy drain would feed from their jetpack energy, but if they sacrifice one of their weapon slots for another ability so that the player has both cloaking AND damage reduction, then they also get an auxiliary power core that powers both of those abilities. They get more jetpacking time, since that energy will be all but untouched (until Aux power is drained) and they get two abilities, but they could only have one weapon, and its possible that they would be able to choose RL or GL as that weapon. This would be used most by snipers and cappers, I think, with the two loadout cores that I've proposed, but I bet there would be other abilities that would drain energy that can be thought of.